Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Slimmer phone or bigger battery?

Comments

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Heck, I can get that SOT on my 2 year old M8. Alot of people just have their devices set up differently.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I picked both, they should make a phone that is bigger on the inside. That way we can have a smartphone with a 5.5 inch display, and 3mm of thickness, but also have this battery

UtitURx.jpg

If it can run a Tesla, then it can probably run a snapdragon 820 for a few hours.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Announcing the ZTE Model S haha

• flybriflybri LAPosts: 219 ✭✭

There has to be a balance in size/weight vs. more battery, but if you can put in a bit more battery and still have it feel good in the hand, then I say go for it.  Being the thinnest and/or lightest is not what people value most -- it's battery life.

• shibobyshiboby AppletonPosts: 121

I would gladly add 1 mm of thickness to a phone for atleast a 15% bump in battery life

• pablodudepersonpablodudeperson United StatesPosts: 14

I'm all for bigger battery, especially if thinness is obtained with a camera bump. Axon 7 is still impressive regardless of that, but a little disappointing.

• Bigger battery, that is a big decision that oneplus 3 will probably regret.

***UPDATE*** I just purchased the OnePlus 3 a week ago and the battery has been better than my LG G4 which always got me through the day.  I look at myself as a heavy user so I'm impressed.  The Dash charger is hands down the fastest charger I've ever seen, its scary how fast it can charger your phone!  Boost it by 30% in just a few minutes!  I'm very happy with it.

• keshijikeshiji ChilePosts: 68

It needs to have a balance. It has to be "thin" but at the same time it shouldn't be the most important feature of the device (ie. sacrifice too much battery)

• nekketsunekketsu Los Angeles, CAPosts: 38 ✭✭✭✭

Battery is always important

• darntonmdarntonm Las Vegas, NVPosts: 109

I will ALWAYS take battery. Always

• supraketsupraket Mumbai, IndiaPosts: 94 ✭✭✭✭

Bigger Battery, any day!

These days so many phones come with camera bump. Why can't the companies even the back panel by increasing the battery?

I was using Motorola Droid 4 some time back. It was rugged, and supposedly heavy because of battery. Post that I got Sony Xperia Z1, which was thin, metal frame and with glass back. Reduced Battery capacity and the extra thin (at that time when it was launched) made it even more difficult to hold the phone.

Even now, most manufacturers market the phone as the thinnest. Design-wise, 'extra' thin phone = difficult to hold. Read the fine line, extra thin. Doesn't mean companies start producing a bulky rock.

A lot of you have mentioned about Quick Charge. I agree such a feature exists, plus the portable chargers are there too, but with advent of newer hardwares like QuadHD screen and various chipsets that have started to come in the phones, consume battery. It's always better to know there's more power in the handset than I need to charge the phone frequently.

Right now there are phones in the market with 4000 mAh - 5000 mAh already. Have tried few in the hand and they're not really bulky or you'd feel like carrying a rock.

Yet the average battery size of most of the phones in the market at this point are 3000 mAh. Just don't know why.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,572 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, the vast majority of people say they want more battery life and would not mind a thicker phone in order to have it.

• adrbadrb Toronto, CanadaPosts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think the survey should have another option as well:

Whatever Apple decides, it's good for me!

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at this pole again, I voted on it a long time ago, but I find it amazing how many people don't really care about how slim the phone is compared to a bigger battery for longer life.
    OEM's seem to be obsessed with slimness, while at the same time trying to implement proprietary apps to take over your phone and prevent apps from draining the battery too much, but Android seems to have that under control pretty well,
    and I feel the OEMs should concentrate on a design that incorporates better batteries for better beatty life while also keeping the phone as light as possible. I don't even mind having the backside be plastic as long as it is well built and looks like an appealing design.

I agree with you. I saw a poll the other day that showed people want better battery life more than anything else. I still wish more oem's would design an all metal phone with a removable back. I guess a nice plastic back isn't bad, but I prefer metal.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like metal too, but I mention plastic as a way to keep the phone lighter.
    You also get stronger wifi and overall reception with plastic.
    Removable back is nice, but with the technology in batteries getting better,
    there's no need for premium phones to have a removable battery.
    By the time the battery does deteriorate, the phone will be so outdated that there won't be a desire to replace it.

I know, just call me old school. Until the batteries get to the point they last much longer (daily) I would like to have the option to switch it out.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

With the current best li-ion cells on the market, you can expect to lose around 10% of the capacity within your first year of use, and that rate of degradation accelerates slightly as the battery gets cycled and ages.

If you have a higher end device, it becomes more practical to pass them down to other family members, as in most cases, a last gen high end phone, will easily beat a current gen budget phone, as with a top of the line SOC, you have a device where there is more than enough CPU and GPU performance for current tasks, and enough to handle the next generation of tasks, then you have the ability to comfortably use the device further into the future.

Having the battery be user replaceable means that you can use the device for a longer time without having to go through an annoying repair process involving tons of pry tools, a heat gun, new adhesive strips (if you can find the right ones for your device), and risk small amounts of separation between the display and digitizer (which causes clouding), all just to replace a battery.

If a phone gets you though the day with power to spare, then you can go a while before the capacity loss forces you to gradually change your use habits, where at a certain point you will just become generally unsatisfied with the device, as you no longer feel that it is doing all that you need it to do during the day.

If you have a device where when new, you are finishing the day with the battery at like 3-5%, then likely after a few months, you will have to start changing how you use the device, and start getting less done on it.

Think of it this way, if you have a device that has enough capacity to get you through 2 full days with power to spare, then you may be able to get 2000+ cycles out of that battery before the device becomes frustrating to use due to having to constantly top the battery off, but if you have a battery that just barely gets you through a single day, then you may only have 300 charge cycles that you can comfortably use before you have to start doing less on the device, or carry a charger around with you.

A user replaceable battery means that the task is more accessible to users of all skill levels, thus many 3rd party batteries become available. This also drives down the cost, thus you can have a device that balances capacity to get you through the day, and overall size, but you can cheaply maintain by buying a $5 replacement battery 1-2 years down the line, and keeping the old one as a spare.

Other than that, I agree on the plastic for the purpose of having the ability to use a more optimized PIFA antenna.

Well said!!

You make some valid points there for sure Razor, but at the same time there are different factors to consider.
    There can be positive and negative attributes of both design choices.

If it costs less to manufacture a sealed phone then that will also factor into the scenario.
    I have also seen real world testing of some devices over the last 2 years that did not lose as much battery life as you suggest.
    Yes it holds true for most products, but my point was that it's improving, and as long as OEMs use batteries that have proven
    longevity, then you take most of that scenario out of the equation.
    I honestly feel we will soon start seeing batteries with a higher performance level that will pretty much knock out old technology.

IMO, if a person is using a second hand device that is a few years old, and the device has 10% less battery life
    than it did when new, that shouldn't be a huge negative. Again IMO, if they want it to perform like a new device,
    then go buy a new device. It's noble to suggest a phone can keep performing and being used  for many years,
    but it's really not practical based on how fast technology is moving.
    Several years from now, the phones we use today will be considered old and slow, and similar performing phones will
    be able to be purchased for a lot less brand new off the shelf.
    Look at desktop computers as an example. There are literally hundreds of thousands of them being recycled since no
    one wants to use an old turtle of a PC that can't even keep up with a $99 Chromebook.
    I understand that comparison isn't based on battery life, but my point is, by the time serious issues do occur with battery
    life of a phone, it will probably be too outdated to consider it an issue, but again that depends on if the phone uses a high
    quality battery that has proven longevity performance.
    iPhones are a pretty good example of this. Their battery life doesn't deteriorate quickly, and there are very few people
    out there using an iPhone-4 with most Apple users using an iPhone-5 or newer.
    Compare the iPhone-4 to the iPhone-7 and that comparison kind of proves my point. The iPhone-4 is a joke comparatively speaking.

Circling back around to the idea that there are valid points on both sides of the argument of sealed vs open-back,
    I don't think either design is the best idea for all scenarios.
    One thing holds true for sure with the phone market, we have tons of choices and that's a good thing.

• My sentiments as well. The Axon 7 is 7.9mm thick. Adding 1-2 mm would be worth the increase in battery life.

• birkbinnardbirkbinnard United StatesPosts: 118 ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Larger capacity battery

2. User replaceable battery

3. Metal case but with back being 1/2 Gorilla Glass for better antenna performance

4. Illuminated buttons

• mrknight85mrknight85 United StatesPosts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would like a bigger battery 4,000 would be great

• doneonlydoneonly VirginiaPosts: 47 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can they be an option for simply better optimization? I mean what I may be asking for is new battery tech or simply ways for software and hardware to use less power but I would much rather have that kind of breakthrough than a bigger battery Either way those things are probably a farcry

• I want slimmer too, with battery charging tech getting better and better on top of software optimization, I think we can have best of both worlds ... I wouldn't want anything thicker than the current Axon 7, as form factor is also one of the things I look for in a phone when I'm in the market for one. I like straight edges over rounded ones which is honestly my only gripe with the Axon but thankfully a lot of other pros out weigh that con.

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Same size battery but replaceable.  Add a plastic rim to the phone so it's not so fragile.  As far as design goes, the OPPO Find7 has always been my favorite.  Replaceable battery, sacrificial plastic rim, loud speakers, built-in support for 3rd party ROMs, and easy to grip.  I'd still use it if it had more LTE bands.

• tomhardytomhardy Posts: 133 ✭✭✭✭✭

SOC power efficiency-for a given performance-gets better every year  Existing simple things like a smart flip case by itself can improve battery life significantly. 

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The bigger the better (speaking of battery size). If there is a camera humo then that battery isnt big enough!

This discussion has been closed.