Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

How Big is Too Big For a Phone?

<body><p>A few years ago I saw a galaxy note and said wow that thing is massive!  As this sizing is becoming more and more normal for a phone, I ask how big is too big?</p></body>

How Big is Too Big For a Phone? 80 votes

5.0 or below is already too big!
0% 0 votes
5.2!
0% 0 votes
5.4!
7% 6 votes
5.6!
16% 13 votes
5.8!
17% 14 votes
6.0 or above is too big!
58% 47 votes

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if 6.0 is too big for sure or not.
    Got a 5.7 in hand now and while it's big, it doesn't feel too big, but my hands are kinda big too.
    6.0  might be ok depending on how the phone is designed and would need to have minimal edge to edge type design.

• Also got to keep in mind the physical dimensions of the phone itself. Some manufacturers are good at fitting bigger screens in the same footprint as smaller screen phone. I feel like my limit will top out around the 5.7" range, above that its just asking to be dropped all the time.

• You bring up a good point!

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's so much about the design.  The 5.7" screen on the Moto X Pure is in a body that is/was about the same size as my OPO with a 5.5" screen.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

5.5 is big enough.  I need to be able to fit it in a pocket.

• Yeah exactly!  If I can't fit a phone in my pocket, I know it's way too big!

• tietjetietje Telluride, coPosts: 84

I have a note 3. Seems like the the perfect size

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would start having a real problem at 7 inches.

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

My comfort zone says 5.5 to 5.7 is big enough.

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

#ZTE #AXON-7

• micahdubosemicahdubose Rock Hill SCPosts: 133

Even though I'd still love to get my hands on the Sony Xperia Z Ultra at 6.4 inches, I think it's no longer a phone after 6 inches. Even Asus' Zenfone 3 Ultra is nice and at 6.8 inches, that's more so a slim tablet, but it's also unique in itself. I would still use the "phone" and admire it to the full, but after 6 inches, that's just too much to be considered a phone.

If anything, anything under 5 inches should be considered more of a palm reader than a phone! We've definitely pushed tech evolution and standards to really appreciate the size of 5-5.9 inches in our hands as a capable smartphone. 4k screens won't make any sense on <5 inches. 4k should belong in tablets easily!

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

5.5" screen is big enough to meet my needs for now.. At least until they start trimming more bezel off to fit a bigger screen in the same size device.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

Your poll doesn't have an option for those that don't mind a large screen, and have no limit. I think it really is personal preference, and depends on the task at hand. I think we have all, at some point said damn I wish my screen was bigger, while doing something, but are normally fairly happy with the size.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I agree with ​ It depends on the design and how it fits in your hand so my vote is for "other" which is not a choice lol but still my vote, if someone develops a 6"+ phone that still feels good in the hand than I'm all for it.

• dellasterdellaster Pahrump, Nevada, USAPosts: 103

I'll go along with that, too. However, until they make that 6"+ phone that still feels good in the hand I'll stick with smaller ones. I know the 6" Nokia Lumia 1520 was too big for me. I tried hard to like it, for a year, and no go. 5.5" seems like it'll be close to the sweet spot, but we'll just have to see with the Axon 7 (assuming I get one).

• My Nexus 6 is 6.0" and it isn't too big. I feel I would be fine with an even larger display. That being said, 5.5" is the limit to how small a phone I would own, the Axon 7 just barely meets it, thank God lol.

• Agree'd ma'am.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Axon Pro and the Axon 7 are the perfect size .. Any bigger and they would be to big

• tietjetietje Telluride, coPosts: 84

O do not think you can go by diagonal screen size. But overall size of the phone. Unless the phone is all screen that sound like a better way to compare

• I like 5".5. I would take 6" if they can make  a pretty much bezeless phone.

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

I can't vote for this because no size is too big. Let the market decide, I suppose, though there really ought to be niche manufacturers making devices that cater to individual preferences. I'm hoping there will be more of this as smartphones become more like computers with increased modular designs.

That's an interesting idea. Are you thinking along the lines of modulating the size of the phone too then?

• I've ordered the le max 3 that has 5.7" screen so we'll see if its good

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

My idea is for there ultimately being separate hardware between the display and the device features running the system, as I think this is whats likely to happen in the next stage of smartphones until headwear versions become available. This way displays can be quickly upgradable.

Ah ok I gotcha. Sounds a little difficult when you think about all that involved with the display don't you think?

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

5.5" is the perfect size for me. I had the Nexus 6P and Note 5 and they are just a little to big.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

Never TOO Big necessarily. The design is key, slimmer bezels, .....folding screen...possibilities are endless 

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

HAS to fit in my pocket, and not be TOO heavy.

• chui84chui84 Houston,TxPosts: 28

Fancy meeting you here

• Coming from several Galaxy Notes in the past (Note3, Note7-ouch, Note4) I think that is the largest size I would top out at.  Can't wait to mess with my Axon7 (arriving this evening).  I think 5.5" is about perfect.  I have an iPhone 6S+ as my work phone and its about the largest I would go honestly.

• keithisreal2013keithisreal2013 Austin, TexasPosts: 182 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

At the end of the day its going to depend on the person.

This discussion has been closed.