Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Is a lack of Micro SD expandability a deal breaker for you?

02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>I personally like having micro sd expansion, and not being constrained by not having it. What you you? Discuss in the comments below.</p></body>

Is a lack of Micro SD expandability a deal breaker for you? 91 votes

Yes
62% 57 votes
No
10% 10 votes
I'm fine either way.
26% 24 votes

Comments

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

I have been using phones that didn't have the option of SD card expansion. I'm so used to of getting phones of 64GB or greater I don't really to worry about the SD card option on phones. Don't get me wrong it's a great feature to have the extra space. It gives your mind at ease that you never run out of space. Me personally I always have about 44.6 GB left on my Oneplus 2. I barely have songs on my phone because I use Spotify a lot for my main source of music. Also, I use Google photo's to store all my pictures to save space on my phone. I think the last phone that I had that came with an SD card slot was a Samsung Epic 4G. I listed some phones I had in the past:

Samsung HEAT (Helio)   -SD

Samsung Mysto              -SD

Samsung Epic 4G          -SD

Samsung Galaxy III        -SD

HTC One (M7) 32 GB (Wasn't enough of memory for me.)

Motorola X (2nd Gen.) 32GB  (Wasn't enough of memory for me.)

Oneplus 2  64GB

Axon (2015) 64GB

So basically after 2014, I start getting phones without the sd card option just cause they didn't offer it. I am glad phones now offer this in more flagship lineups.

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

#ZTE #AXON-7

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, I tend to use local storage (mainly micro sd), instead of the cloud. Lack of micro sd isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but it's not a positive attribute either by any means. I like being able to keep alot of stuff on a card, and pop it into whatever device I'm using at the time. That's one feature I missed alot on my OnePlus 2. I'm not a big cloud person. Though I do have some things on there for ease of access. Besides, when I sell a 64GB, 128GB, etc. device; all of that storage is gone to a new owner. I like the ability to keep the storage I've paid for, and use it with another device. Also, if my 128GB device dies a painful death like my G3 did, I can pop out my card and throw it in another device. The nand on that G3 is toast now, and useless. These are the things I look at and work for my case. Everyone has different habits, usage, etc. though. Whatever works for ya.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,614 mod

A SD card is a must have for me. I prefer to keep my photos. ebooks, movies, and all that kind of stuff stored to it instead on of the local.

• Its not a deal breaker unless there's only a small amount of internal storage. I'd need at least 64GB to not need to worry about it.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,614 mod

I can get away with a 32 sd card even, but need sd card lol

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It is a deal breaker for me

I like having ample storage for recording 4K video, while also being able to carry around a sizable portion of my music collection.

I typically walk around with a little over 200GB of storage with me. If I am going to be at a boring location, I like being able to quickly catch up on some anime or other content without having to worry that I will not have enough space to record is something crazy happens.

When capacities go up and prices come down, I hope to get an affordable 512GB micro SD card for my phone, and dedicate half of that to my music collection, and the other half to other media files, as well as various config files and other app data that some programs will place on a micro SD card.

Ample storage means I do not have to worry about the format or compression. I don't have to transcode my files to make them smaller and lower quality. I simply copy everything over as is, including blu-ray quality content.

I completely agree. There is not such thing as "too much storage". Especially when content is taking more space these days.

• It's not a deal breaker for me but I would definitely like to see more manufacturers take notice and add more onboard storage options for us consumers 64gb should b standard now....i personally would love to see a 256gb storage option(perhaps in the axon 8??) I walk around with at least 40gbs of movies on my phone that's not using a micro SD card just on board storage except when a phone manufacturers decide to only release 1 storage option but with SD card support then I have no choice lol but would prefer just higher onboard storage sorry if I'm ranting lol

Haha, no worries.. That's what you want, and that's fine.

• ciko84xp@gmail.com[email protected] Rossano (CS) - ItalyPosts: 50

I get bored writing this morning , but my answer would be this !

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

if the phone has 64gb storeage then no need for one. If it is less than that and it doesn't have it, unless it's a wicked cool phone it's all but a deal breaker.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Like many others, if there is 64GB of storage on the phone, then I can do without SD.  Prefer 128GB though.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,574 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am with you.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,574 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

me too

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer a SD, but it's not a deal maker for me. I tend to back up photos and music to both Google and Amazon because, like others, I have become used to the phones with no expansion.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,247 mod

I think that if you have 128gb  of internal storage then you most likely will not need an sd card but I have a lot of personal files and photos, music I like to keep on the sd card. All of my downloads and documents are kept there. I also like the feeling of knowing that if my phone is "fried" I can just remove the sd card and most all of my important files/photos are on it. This happened to me years ago with my Samsung Omnia, had a lot of new born and irreplaceable pictures on my phone, I used a brand new 3rd party car charger and it fried my phone. I sent it back to Samsung who sent me a replacement device through my insurance but they said it was not possible to get my data off of my phone. I was so disappointed, I don't want to say that I would never buy a phone with out it now because of all the cloud storage and backups available especially if it came with 128 gb + on board storage but I really like having that expandable storage option.

I agree. The nand in my G3 fried.. Luckily I had everything important on my micro sd. But I have multiple backups anyway. The thing that is nice is that I was able to take that card and move on to another device.

I always nand backup when I'm rooted and use titanium backup which is a real life saver. If its one thing I wish I could have on all my phones its titanium back up but it needs root privileges so hopefully with the Axon 7 we will have it. (not trying to add bootloader discussion her, just saying)

Yeah, I always have a couple of nandroid backups. Haha! The bootloader discussion..

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is also a major convenience factor, when you get a new phone, if you had the camera save photos to the SD card, you can transfer the card, and instantly have all of your media transferred over to the new device.

Lately when smartphones getting more internal space, I have moved largely to keeping music, and other bulk files on the SD card, and then keeping around 30-40+GB of free space on the internal storage, as I want to have enough free space to record video.

With the phones capturing video at around 300MB per minute, you need a decent amount of free space to record video when needed.

That was getting into a heated debate lol I spoke my piece and would love to see it.  ( fyi you brought up a lot of valid points)  Hopefully we found out all of the details sooooon......

Yep, I completely agree. It's great to just be able to pop the card in and roll.

Thanks. Yeah, same here. It needed to be addressed. How else do the people let the OEMs know their wants unless they speak on it? Gotta speak up in those instances.

• micahdubosemicahdubose Rock Hill SCPosts: 133

I find it a deal breaker now just because of how I like my music to be movable. I purchase music and for me, it's easier to listen to music offline. Google Music has the cloud storage for music on PC, but once offline, music can't be listened to. Even if those moments are few, unless the rest of the specs of the phone are just off the wall, I could probably sacrifice those few and far moments where music is MIA. Although, if storage reaches an all-time high, then maybe Google Music will incorporate a feature to download that cloud storage onto our devices and then SD  expandability won't be an issue. Good discussion though!

Yeah, I know of several people for which it is definitely a deal breaker. I too store a ton of music on my phone, and I don't like being dependent on a data signal, burning through data & battery, and I like to listen to FLAC audio...

See, I just cleaned and formatted my SD card because I had files all over the place and those FLAC files started sucking up too much space on my 128GB so I deleted all and am now consistent with mp3. I don't notice too much of a difference between the 2 but I also use Bluetooth for music. Data isn't a big deal to me because I have an unlimited plan with T-Mobile. I understand that could be a restraint in itself for you. I agree with you 100%

Well unfortunately for me, T-Mobile's coverage is beyond terrible. So I don't have any binge on benefits, but I don't stream too much anyway. I'm probably going to grab a 200GB micro sd around the same time I get the Axon 7. Gonna load it up!

• ronin550ronin550 Oak Grove, MOPosts: 151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can or can't...I adapt. Cloud, local, doesn't matter. I have backups of backups.

Oh really? Where do you live because I know out in Cali and most of NC and where I am in SC, T-Mobile is great! Yea I'm gonna grab one too. One phone that piqued my interested was that Nextbit Robin phone and how it handled storage. But it wouldn't necessarily help when it comes to music.

I live in MS, and there is a regional carrier here called CSpire, they have alot of the market here sewn up because they're a MS business. They're a CDMA based network. There's also, AT&T here which works great as well. I'm on AT&T, and love it. Verizon is also here, and they & CSpire have roaming & tower use agreements with each other here. Sprint is a joke here, as well as T-Mobile. Neither of those see any real reason to expand much here because CSpire, AT&T, and Verizon all have the market here for the most part. I'm not a fan of CSpire's wireless network, but I have their symmetrical Gigabit Fiber home service, and it's great... Unlimited data, yes.. NO HOME DATA CAP, and it's $80/mo. Anyway, I would love for the other GSM network (T-Mobile) to compete here; but it's probably not going to happen any time soon.

This discussion has been closed.