Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Is a lack of Micro SD expandability a deal breaker for you?

Comments

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The issue is that cloud storage is bad for a lot of things.  It does nothing for immediate storage demands,  and has limited availability when on 4G. For example if your phone is 80% full, and you start recording 4K video,  what is the cloud function going to do when the camera is eating 300MB per minute,  how will it offload that? An SD card can handle it,  but the cloud can't,  furthermore the 100GB offered by them is easily replaced with a cheap 128GB micro SD card which is more functional. As apps can be moved to it and continue to work,  as well as having video saved directly to it. There is also no worrying about it they will drop the free cloud storage for old models,  or start charging for it.

• It really depends on the amount of internal storage. For example, the Vivo XPlay 5 comes with 128GB which is enough for my needs.

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's really not even that, it's just a personal preference thing; as the same as most of these topics. Whatever works best for that individual.

• oldirtyewokoldirtyewok Champlain, NYPosts: 165

Like others have mentioned, it depends on the amount of internal storage the phone comes with.  16GB like my S4 its pretty much unacceptable.  The O/S alone takes about half that, and that leaves me with just over 8gb to install apps, music, videos, pictures.

I found out soon after that I NEEDED to buy a mem card for it.

The Axon 7 with 64 gb should keep me occupied for quite a while before I start needing to add a mem card.  But make no mistake, I will probably find a use for the external card within the first month.

Yeah, at least the option will be there if you end up needing it. I hope they stick with offering micro sd support from now on.

• rkprkp GaithersburgPosts: 280 ✭✭✭✭✭

With 4K videos and Raw photos, there is always need of having more memory. so it will be good to have MicroSD card along with dual sim options

• micahdubosemicahdubose Rock Hill SCPosts: 133

Yes it's possible T-Mobile isn't going to make it anytime soon, but definitely don't count them out. Our local Internet based company is a subsidiary of AT&T known as Comporium and I have the highest data package at basically $80/mo.

Yea that's exactly what I took into consideration when spying out this device. Great phone though, but that's why I'm on the SD Card expandability. Too much to worry about when it comes to cloud. The least that could happen with my SD Card is that it corrupts and I only use it for music which can be re-added if formatting works or added to a new SD Card.

Right on point, although, ​ has a point too because with Samsung possibly releasing the Note 7/Edge with 256GB internal storage, an SD Card for most people may no longer be a need. I on the other hand along with you would still search out the biggest SD Card to use on top of the internal storage.

Oh I'm all for competition. I'm glad CSpire started doing Fiber home ISP here, as it kicked AT&T & Comcrap in the butt, and made them have to try to compete here. I had AT&T UVerse Fiber home service as well, and while I didn't have problems, it was only 45Mbps with data cap for about the same price as symmetrical Gigabit on CSpire without a data cap. I had Comcrap back in the day as well and was paying $75/mo for 100Mbps with data cap, and it was down alot of the time. There was no downside to the switch in home ISP. Hopefully one day T-Mobile might try to compete here, I just really don't see it considering the market is pretty much sewn up here.. One can hope though.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer to have it but not necessarily.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,247 mod

Always be prepared!!!  lol

Always!

Yep, I like to keep the storage I have paid for. I'd love to have the new Samsung 256GB micro SD that is coming out, but not at the price they want. It'll take awhile to drop in price, so I'll probably just go ahead and get a 200GB since they've already dropped a good bit.

Absolutely!

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I find that if I let my media (which for me means mostly pictures and videos that I've taken) pile up beyond the capacity of a 32 GB hard drive, it means I'm not keeping good enough track of what I've taken, what I've already uploaded to permanent storage, etc. So of course more storage is better, whether in the form of a large hard drive or SD card expandability, but I consider it a bonus and don't actively look for it in a phone. However, I won't ever go back to a 16GB phone. Having to scrounge for space for apps is the worst.

Ha! The struggle is real!

LOL!! Clearing out space for apps IS the worst.

Having to constantly clear cache for "system stability" is tied for first spot IMO as well.

Agreed, 16 GB is just a joke nowadays lol Take few pictures and HD/4K videos and your storage is full. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

I'll openly admit, I gives me great joy when one of my iPhone friends is irate because they don't have enough space to update, or take a video, etc. It's hilarious!

I hear you!!!  My daughter was so mad at her old iPhone 4 (16gb) being full so fast...kept trying to bring her over to the other side but it was a lost cause, she now has an iPhone SE 64gb. I'm still holding the door open for her lol

It will forever be funny... I'd be holding that A7 in front of her. haha

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

After being on a non-expandable 8gb for ages now, it is 100% without a doubt a must for me now. Its quite painful now, especially since you really only get like 5gb out of the 8

8Gb!!? Good lord!  How did you survive over the years?

Ha! The pain! Oh the pain!

Lots and lots of back ups. Oh the memories. The Axon 7 can't come out quick enough

Tell me about it

epic joy to us, epic failure for them. Although, I think Apple is changing their base standard to 32GB, but don't quote me on that.

Funny thing is a couple of the aformentioned folks have 32GB models.. Haha!

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have 8GB also, but alas I at least have expandable storage on mine

This discussion has been closed.