Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Is a lack of Micro SD expandability a deal breaker for you?

Comments

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If it's really about choice, then there are plenty of devices that have MicroSD to choose from. If you give the people a choice to have one, there should also be a choice to not have one.  I think the initial push was to get people to store data in the cloud. Drive, OneDrive, and the slew of other cloud providers can provide a nice storage ecosystem when done right, that you can access from any device at any time. The need for me to have MicroSD is dwindling, save for large video files. Having to transfer large amounts of data over 4G on a small data plan isn't user friendly. You could also argue music, but I would believe that there are more cloud music service users overall than people who have their own collection ripped to FLAC or something of that nature. Cost would also be another factor. I doubt MicroSD is that expensive to build in, especially sice they are making multi use trays for SD and SIM now, but there still is a cost.

Now while I'm defending those not wanting it above, my preference for the next few years anyway, is to continue to have it. Sharing large amounts of data, easily transferring it to other devices or to friends devices without using data, and the convenience of having multiple cards if wanted are all pluses that can make a phone experience better.  And you are right, if you don't want to use it, then don't

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

In terms of cost, the price difference is likely fractions of penny when it is done as the scale that a major phone manufacturer produces them. The cost to make a phone goes down each year, as technology improves. Yields for various chips are continuously getting better,and that lowers the per unit costs. But even at a time such as 2013, ZTE was able to do a dual sim + separate Micro SD card slot on a smartphone, and give it a $40 MSRP. Exclusive Video Teardown: ZTE's $40 Android Smartphone | Electronics360

A micro SD card is one of the functions which as arysyn stated, it doesn't really get in the way of those who do not want to use them. Wanting to really move away from them, is similar to wanting major motherboard manufacturers to sell full sized ATX motherboards, and not include any fan headers, because there are people who passively cool their PCs. While cloud services have improved, and fully functional ones can be hosted for free on a home server (with more functionality than any of the major ones currently offered), the experience is still not anywhere near as good as that of a micro SD card. At best, the cloud is a 3rd level of storage for bulk data that rarely gets accessed.

Micro SD provides instantaneous highly functional storage which can do much of the same things that the stock internal storage can do. You can directly record 4K video to it while at the same time, downloading a large torrent to it. You can install large apps to it, and freely move large data sets around. You also get 100% availability, whereas n the cloud, if you walk into a dead cone, or are traveling, and fine that many highways lack proper coverage. For example, I have been on road trips where coverage would be too poor to use google maps or waze, But in those cases, I simply switch over to my navigon app (large and takes a bunch of space to save all of the map data), but since it stays on the micro SD card, I can keep ample free internal memory. I try to keep enough free space to record at least 30 minutes of 4K video, and then will fall back to the micro SD card if I need to record longer.

As storage technology improves, we will be finding ourselves needing more storage. In the early 90's did you ever think you would be dissatisfied with only 10TB of hard drive space? Storage is something that you can never have enough of. As soon as a breakthrough in storage is made, new and innovative uses for that storage come out, thus when we reach the point where our phones are coming with 64-128PB of internal storage, we will be wanting an extra 200+PB micro SD card, because the internal storage is not enough to store our multi-gigapixel light field video at the length that we want to record at. (Light field is the next step for video, and will only get better) Lytro Cinema on Vimeo .

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I agree choice is better, if you want it buy one with it if not don't simple as that

• shibobyshiboby AppletonPosts: 121

If there is atleast 64 GB of memory, it is not a deal breaker, as long as the phone is unlocked. 128gb would be the current threshold at which I wouldn't care if there was expandable storage.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's almost a deal breaker for me. I hate the idea of paying $50 or so more for eachh additional level of storage when I could just buy  $10 micros card instead.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

SD cards are so cheap now days, it makes no sense to pay to have more built in storage

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

SD cards are cheap, but not all are created equal. Even if it's labeled Class 10, it just means that the card meets the minimum speed to meet that label. For example, look at Samsung microSD cards. There's EVO Select, EVO, EVO+, Pro, and Pro+. Even though they all meet the minimum for Class 10, the read, write, random access, etc., speeds are all not the same. Some are slow, some are really fast. But I guess most microSD card will be useful for mainly storing media files such as music, photos, and videos.

MicroSD cards aren't the same speed as built-in storage, at least not the same to UFS2.0. Having the ability to store things in a fast internal storage is beneficial to the phone when accessing files, opening, etc. when compared to using microSD.

Yes, I agree, however I won't pay $50-$100 more to only get 16- 32 gb more space on a phone either. To me it just isn't worth it.

I agree. It sucks. Then you can't even take all of that storage with you when you swap to a different device.

Yep, just sucks not being able to retain that storage paid for when swapping to another device. That new Samsung 256GB micro SD is nice! The price on it isn't though..

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

While they are not the same speed, not all storage needs a very high speed.  A quality card will typically write at 25-50MB/s, and read at 50-90MB/s, which is enough to handle 4K recording while watching another 4K video, and still have ample throughput.

The internal storage will typically write at around 150-200MB/s, and read at around 300MB/s, while also allowing for higher IOPS,  this great for random reads of tiny files, but makes no noticeable difference for bulk data,  and in make case,  it doesn't impact USB transfers since the way Android now handles USB,  has an extremely high CPU overhead. Overall,  with the exception of the OS boot speed,  and some apps,  many tasks are not impacted by the slower speeds of the micro SD card.

I know and I agree that not all requires high speed storage. Especially if you're just storing music, photos, and videos. Like you said, most quality card should be capable of handling 4K, but buyers still need to be aware of the cards they buy.

Internal storage speed is more important and just as you say, for small files, which is the case of having more internal storage for the user might be more beneficial if you have a lot of apps and small files you might access/open with it's faster speed compared to microSD cards.

I'm sure the price will drop in a few months... SD card prices tends to drop pretty fast. Sandisk 200gb microSD price was like ~$80 at launch or something and then dropped to $59.... But think it went back up now... Prices just fluctuates.

I know.. When Sandisk released the first 128GB micro sd a couple years ago it was $200~ iirc. It'll come down in time. Since it just came out, I wouldn't expect a decent size drop in price until maybe around Black Friday or Cyber Monday..

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,253 mod

Absolutely hard drives, micro SD cards, are things I never buy as soon as the latest and greatest increase in memory is available. I always wait to the price is mire reasonable. Just bought another 128 gb class 10 micro SD card from Amazon for $35 when I found out I won the Axon 7. I bought a similar one about a year ago a d it was about $75.

I don't blame you. I do the same. I haven't bought one just yet, but I most likely will pick up a fairly reasonable 128GB before too long, and a 256GB once they drop in price.

• shibobyshiboby AppletonPosts: 121

So true

Do you guys think the Axon7 show offer the ability to shoot raw? Head over here to this discussion 

Yeah, Also a choice in the Keys situation... Something OnePlus nailed.

• celticchryscelticchrys Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

Dude, where would I put all of my flac files if I didn't have MicroSD? If I use internal storage for the flacs, then where would I install serious games? Definitely a deal breaker. And yes, I need to carry my music with me. "cloud music" doesn't work if you travel/visit really rural places with challenging terrain and NO cell signal frequently, as I do. And also, I can preload movies or tv shows, or whatever I am in the middle of watching before a plane flight as well. And I also need a lot of room to transfer over high res photos from my micro 4/3 camera, to preview, and that takes a fair bit of space.

Hey Guys want To Take a  Little Break??? Join us at 8PM for Trivia, and tons of fun. Get to hang out with some cool members and have a chance to Win $100 off the purchase of Spro2 wifi, see link for detailed

I hear ya. I agree. You can never have "too much storage".

1000000000000000000000000000000000000000TB might be lol

Hah! Gimme Gimme Gimme, I'll take it!

Yeah who am I kidding so would I lol

No Doubt!

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Google should have their Pixel line do with Google Drive what Nextbit offers.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,253 mod

If the phone comes with at least 128gb internal storage then it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.  Even so,  it is still nice to have the option to add storage in a cost effective  way.

• mmvaronmmvaron HoustonPosts: 24 ✭✭✭✭

I like the option of having extra space. When my Google music is unavailable say I'm taking a flight or happen to be on the road in a dead zone or something I can always pack lots of it quickly on a card and not worry about it messing with my phone capacity

This discussion has been closed.