Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Do More Android Phone Manufacturers Need to Bring Back a Removable Battery?

flybriflybri LAPosts: 219 ✭✭
<body><p>Let me know whether or not you feel a removable/swappable battery should make a comeback on more Android phones.</p></body>

Do More Android Phone Manufacturers Need to Bring Back a Removable Battery? 53 votes

Yes, it's an important feature that phone manufacturers need to bring back
64% 34 votes
No, many phones have decent enough battery life now and don't need a removable/swappable battery
35% 19 votes

Comments

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

All phones sooner or later will just have non-removable batteries because the battery technology would be more advanced. I hate carrying around extra stuff with my phone to enhance its features.

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• flybriflybri LAPosts: 219 ✭✭

More like later than sooner, unfortunately.  As technology has progressed very rapidly in recent years, battery technology has seen very minor improvements.  Right now, the only reason we can get better battery life out of our devices is due to increases in efficiencies in other components (processor, display, etc.)

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I do not think that phones should be made with removable batteries anymore. I like the sleek design of a phone with a lit ion battery

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My current phone is the LG G4 with a removable battery. I have honestly only switched the battery out like twice since I have had it. As battery technology improves and all the parts of the phone (screen, soc, etc.) become more efficient I don't think this is something that should be necessary.

• npaladin2000npaladin2000 Wappingers Falls, NYPosts: 376

It's not so much that the battery needs to be easily removable as it needs to be easily swappable periodically, to change out a worn out battery once every couple of years.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I really don't care much about removable battery anymore as long as the phone last 2+ years before the battery performance starts decreasing. People prefer the "premium" device design, which usually means some sort of unibody and that somewhat eliminates the option of having removable battery and I'm for that. Portable battery pack (power banks, or whatever you like to call them) have become a lot cheaper and not that terrible to carry around.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I much prefer a removable battery. That being said, not many phones have batteries that are truly "non-removable"

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,247 mod

For me, a removable battery is a welcome addition but not necessary. I feel my phone lasts me most of the day and I have accessibility to a quick charge, charger at most any point in the day if I need to top it off. So it would be nice but not needed for my needs as long as it has the capabilities to charge fast.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,574 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see removable batteries on metal builds. The other alternative would be MUCH bigger batteries.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you're out all day on vacation , taking pictures, recording video, checking Facebook, etc. it's inevitable that your battery will drain drastically. It's great to be able to just pop another battery in instead of plugging it to a portable charger because you'll still have full function of your phone without being encumbered by an awkward, dangling, heavy, or bulky charger. Despite how nearly perfect the Axon 7 is, I am very nervous about the inability to replace the battery during a busy day.

• teutonjon78teutonjon78 USAPosts: 326 ✭✭✭✭✭

People get all upset about a user replaceable battery. And honestly, it's a bit of a red herring.

Sure some people truly want a user replaceable battery and want to carry around multiple ones so they can swap out. However, what most people (myself included) really want, is a user serviceable battery -- one that can be easily replaced in 1-2 years after the original one starts to lose capacity. Things like powerbanks can help for when you need extra juice on the go, but nothing can help a battery that's losing it's capacity or swelling.

Unfortunately, most OEMs are making their phones harder and harder to get into and repair. The Mi5 was designed to actually allow the battery to be replaced, but you still have to disassemble like half of the phone to do it.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Don't want to carry an extra battery around.  Make the battery big enough that I don't need a removable battery and that's that.

I had spare, replaceable batteries in my last 3 phones, but I didn't always carry them around. I only brought the spares with me if I knew I was going to be out all day away from an electrical outlet. It has definitely saved me from having a dead phone on several occasions like weddings (not my own), conferences, trips to amusement parks, shopping with the wife, etc. Just last Sunday, I ran a half marathon, then immediately went to a Father's Day party. My phone was out of juice by 5pm. As my LG G3 crapped out on my a week or two before, I was stuck using my wife's old phone, which doesn't have any spare batteries. Everyone at the house I was at uses iPhones, so they did not have a spare charger for me. I was completely out of power and luck.

Nah. I want user replaceable batteries because I use my phone A LOT! I don't want to have to worry about whether I need to recharge so I can get through the day.

While there haven't been a ton of people who have voted in the poll yet, I'm still surprised that at this point, 16 out of 25 people who voted said they feel that a removable battery should make its way back to more phones.  I was expecting it to be the other way around.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind that it is not just about the run time and efficiency of the device, it is about the longevity of the device. Sure you may not replace the battery often, but after a year or 2 when that 6 hours of screen on time has become 3.5 hours of screen on time, you will want to be able to replace that battery without risking the destruction of the device.

A device can have some of the most liked modern designs, and still have a user replaceable battery. It does not need to be replaceable multiple times per day via a easy to remove back cover. All that is needed, is a straightforward process of changing the battery when it has degraded to an unacceptable level.

People have to think more about the brand new specs relating to the battery, as those specs are only ever valid for probably the first day of use.

When you get the Axon 7 (or any other phone), that 3250mAh battery will only be a 3250mAh battery during your first use. Each day after, it will becomes a slightly lower capacity battery, as the current battery technology degrades with use.

For any phone you get, unless it is using an energy storage medium such as a super capacitor, it will lose a little bit of capacity with each charge cycle.

A user replaceable battery means that when you upgrade to your next smartphone, and give your old one to a family member, the device will still handle a day of heavy use, because you would have probably purchased a replacement battery for $5 to $10.

A removable back or bottom like with the LG G5, allows for quick swapping of the battery. The quick replacement means that you can carry around a spare, and thus if you do a little too much gaming, and end up with the battery at 20% after lunch time, you can be back up to 100% within seconds by swapping the battery. Or if needed, you can have an extra battery on an external charger at home, and if you forget to charge your phone the night before, you can simply swap batteries and be at 100%, and then simply place the low battery on the charger.

If you do not need the quick replacement, then a slower but straightforward and safe method of replacing the battery is good to have, as you can at least replace the battery with it is worn out.

OitMC6I.jpgRJCAJoH.jpgCzoAqNU.jpg

• dellasterdellaster Pahrump, Nevada, USAPosts: 103

Well written and reasoned as usual,  razor512. Thanks.

I definitely agree about the longevity aspect,  though that's probably a non-issue for those who get a new phone every year or so. Which the phone makers love,  of course,  and likely fuels the trend to non-removable batteries.

Because I intend my next phone to last me at least 3-4 years,  I'm giving the LG G5 another close look.  Its IPS LCD (no burn-in or fade) is another longevity plus.

My point is give me enough battery where I don't need to worry about 2 days life.  5000mAh or so would prevent me from ever needing another battery at all.  Or breakthrough battery technology to make them smaller and thinner so we could see a week of usage. That's what I want. 

2 years is about all i need out of a device.  Time for something new at that point.  Sooner if I'm not happy with the device I purchased

• teutonjon78teutonjon78 USAPosts: 326 ✭✭✭✭✭

My point was that use cases like that can also be covered by carrying a powerbank type device, so doesn't require an explicit removeable battery.

Powerbanks are too bulky. Either give me a battery that is user replaceable, or create one that lasts for days as suggests, which is not any bigger than current ones.

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate where you're coming from but I don't see that as frequently as I did in the past. My current device is a OnePlus One purchased in the original wave and through custom ROM's and better management my battery has not seen a depreciation in any significant manner.

The last time I was concerned about having an extra battery was with an original Galaxy S and prior to that the Blackberry devices. I'm more interested in being able to expand memory than I am about swapping batteries.

With companies continuing to develop more and more premium devices at a less than premium price if that device can last 24 to 48 months then you've gotten a great ROI. I believe that like cars are no longer considered destroyed at 100K miles, our handhelds will continue to see better longevity with less user maintained hardware.

I'm curious to see the impact of Project ARA on the future of devices as we know them.

Agree about the longevity of the battery, and that is one of the one reasons I wish that the battery was able to be swapped out somewhat easily when the battery itself can no longer hold a decent charge.

• techlifetvtechlifetv Canoga Park,CAPosts: 282 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need to bring back the removable battery give us a larger battery with an energy efficient OS and we are good. I came from a V10 I had to carry 3 batteries around plus a Zero Lemon battery and it was a pain! now that I have the Axon its made me realize I don't need batteries QC 3.0 is amazing! just a few minutes on charge and back ready to hit the road. just hook us up with at least 3750 mAh for the Axon 8 and we should be good.

• Bring on the solid-state batteries. No risk of fires is a nice benefit from them as well.

• I believe Samsung has some stake in solid-state ones now, so it should be the whiz-bang selling point in the S9 - S11 maybe.

• Removable battery would be so much better than an all metal backing.  Who cares what the back is made of when you just put a phone case on anyway? 

This discussion has been closed.