Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

What kind of GPS device do you use?

AmyXieAmyXie United StatesPosts: 45 admin
<body><p style="font-size: 14px; font-family: 'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Sans', 'DejaVu Sans', 'Bitstream Vera Sans', 'Liberation Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; color: #666666;"><span style="text-decoration: underline;">Happy Friday !  </span></p><p style="font-size: 14px; font-family: 'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Sans', 'DejaVu Sans', 'Bitstream Vera Sans', 'Liberation Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; color: #666666;"><span style="text-decoration: underline;">This week's Consumer Lab topic is all about GPS and the interactions we have with it.</span></p><p></p><p><em><strong>Once you complete the poll, please also comment below with answers to these questions:</strong></em></p><p></p><p><strong>Which mobile navigation app do you use ?  </strong></p><p></p><p><strong>Which GPS device do you own ?</strong></p><p></p><p><strong>Are you satisfied with the navigation system you are currently using ?If no , please tell us why ?</strong></p></body>

What kind of GPS device do you use? 86 votes

Mobile phone
82% 71 votes
GPS – Garmin, Tomtom, etc
5% 5 votes
In-vehicle navigation system
8% 7 votes
Other - please leave a comment
3% 3 votes

Comments

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Or my copilot.

• naimaamaranaimaamara PhiladelphiaPosts: 42

i use google maps.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Google Maps and Waze.  No need for anything else.  The Tom Tom in my Mazda is terrible.  I place my phone horizontally in front of the screen to use as navigation. Sold my Garmin about 2 years ago.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For GPS I use Google Maps (for longer trips) or Waze (to get through traffic) my phone, and I don't miss my old dedicated Garmin GPS at all. My only concern is that the OLED screen on my phone might get burn in if I were to go on a very long road trip and use the GPS the whole time.

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only use my mobile phone

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

Usually a combination of cell phone, and a printout from mapquest. I am out in the middle of nowhere, and it is so hard to trust just one thing for directions. If you ask the locals, they are going to tell you to drive until you come to the big oak tree, turn left and drive, you will need to bang a right after the 3rd cow. Always be prepared looking for places out here.

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does work well for what I need, but Apple Maps aren't always the greatest or most up to date. If it doesn't work or find a specific place, I just use MapQuest

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,038 admin

I can't even remember the last time I had to print out directions.

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

I would say Google Maps all the wall. Or even Scout if Maps not working right.

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use both a PNA and a smartphone. For long trips, I use a Navigon PNA, in addition to waze for more of the traffic alerts, since when you set waze to also provide navigation, it hardly ever warns you of traffic cameras, speed traps and various other issues.

Furthermore, for many smartphones, when the LCD is at full brightness along with the GPS being used, the device tends to heat up significantly (I have seen CPU temperatures over 60C in some cases). On the other hand, the PNA will barely heat up,, and offer reliable navigation, that continues to work well even without a 4G signal. (certain interstates have long stretches of road (upwards of 10 miles in some cases) where the cellphone will at most, list the network as edge, and waze will just say Searching Network.

Though in those cases, the TMC receiver in many PNA devices will continue to work just fine, reporting the larger traffic issues.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Mobile phone unless I plan on driving to Canada or somewhere where there is no signal... I would need to bring a Garmin standalone GPS, but for daily use, my phone using Google Maps and/or Waze.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which mobile navigation app do you use ? 

I use Google Maps, but my sister tells me great things about Waze.

Which GPS device do you own ?

I use Google Maps on android phones (at first a Samsung GS3, then a GS5, an LG G3, and now back to a Samsung GS3). I also have a companion app on my Pebble Time Steel, which allows me to see Google Maps Navigation instructions on my watch. This allows me to keep power consumption of my phone low by keeping the screen shut off and just looking at my watch instead.

Are you satisfied with the navigation system you are currently using ?If no , please tell us why ?

I am satisfied, but I wish Google Maps did a better job of taking local roads and in streets into consideration as part of their algorithms for calculating the fastest route.

• dellasterdellaster Pahrump, Nevada, USAPosts: 103

Which mobile navigation app do you use ?

Vehicle: Maps (built in app) in W10M, HERE maps (free) in Android

Hiking: GPS Calculator Pro (paid) in W10M, Backcountry Navigator (paid) in Android

Which GPS device do you own ?

Nokia Lumia 920 and Samsung Galaxy S3 at this time. I have used the two Windows (W10M) and Android smartphones for both vehicle and hiking navigation, so there are multiple answers for each question.

Are you satisfied with the navigation system you are currently using ?If no , please tell us why ?

Vehicle: Maps, the W10M default, stinks. A beta product. HERE maps on Android is great for the downloadable maps, state by state in the US (or the whole North America if you really want), for free. [Note: HERE used to be on Windows Phone, back before Nokia sold it to the German auto consortium, but they dropped support recently, which is sad.]

Hiking: Both are quite nice, each in their own way. GPS Navigator Pro/Nokia Lumia 920 locks GPS within five to fifteen seconds, even inside my motorhome, even without cellular or wifi assist, which I LOVE. Backcountry Navigator has lots of great maps, such as the US Forest Service maps, but my Samsung Galaxy S3 can take forever to lock GPS. I'm talking five minutes, outside, under the clear sky, and it's still seeking (I think because it had no cellular/wifi signal to give it a hand). I HATE that. I have actually given up on the Galaxy S3 for hiking for that reason, even though the Backcountry app is really nice.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Phone only these days.

Which mobile navigation app do you use ? Google maps

Which GPS device do you own ? We have an old Magellan that stills works. Uses it once in the past year.

Are you satisfied with the navigation system you are currently using ?If no , please tell us why ? Very satisfied.

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

My phone and Google maps usally gets me to where I need to go, but for long trips? I usually carry the Garmin as a backup in case my phone starts acting up in the middle of nowhere.

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Garmin and navigation in all vehicles but still use GPS and Google Maps on my phone most often as it's more up to date and for me most convenient.  The vehicle nav would be second,  and I'm not sure I could even find where I put the Garmin at this point...

• npaladin2000npaladin2000 Wappingers Falls, NYPosts: 376

It's funny, but by the time I got a car with built-in nav, my phone and phone coverage were good enough to do a better job of navigation anyway.

• thecoke091thecoke091 Tonawanda NYPosts: 7

Depends on the travel. If it is short distances within my general area, I always use my phone. If it is between states or a few hours of travel, I will use my Garmin so I don't have to worry about losing data connectivity or draining my phone's battery.

• The app I use is Google Maps. But I want to try Waze sometime.

• davedave Ingolstadt, GermanyPosts: 84

I use Google Maps. If I'm traveling I use HERE Maps or from now on Microsoft Maps on my Lumia 640. But maybe I will change that to HERE WeGo (as it's now called on Android). If so I won't use it on my phone but on a tablet that will serve me as an Android Auto unit once it is available on a phone (and therefore hopefully on a tablet as well).

My used GPS device is my current phone, a Nexus 5. When travelling it's a Lumia 640 (see above). I furthermore own a HTC One S9 and a Note 10.1 2014 but don't use these devices for GPS in any way.

I like Google Maps a lot. The problem is that it's using quite a lot of data. With Microsoft Maps I have yet to see whether I'm pleased or not as I didn't need it until now (sadly it's not like I'm travelling around in foreign countries all day and night ).

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use my in vehicle navigation. I also own a Tom Tom for business trip rental cars.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just my phone now. For a long time I thought about getting a device for my vehicle, but then phones became sophisticated enough that there is no need for the vehicle unit, but if I bought a new car it would be nice to have it built in.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have all 3 (phone, dedicated device and one in my car head unit.)  Of course I just use my phone

• kgenovakgenova Austin, TXPosts: 6

I use Google Maps on my iPhone 7 Plus and am generally quite happy with it. I find it superior to Apple Maps. I have a Garmin GPS, quite old now, and an in vehicle navigation system, but I never use them. Using my phone is much simpler.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally hate in vehicle system GPS and prefer not to use even if the car comes with it. My personal go to is Google Maps or Waze.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I use google maps on my phone and in one of my cars through Android Auto. On my other vehicle we use a Garmin GPS unit. Yes, I am satisfied with the GPS units and functionality we currently utilize.

• syaoransyaoran Manassas, VA/Toronto, CanadaPosts: 185 ✭✭

I sue Microsoft's Here Maps because i find it to be more accurate than the Google alternative, especially when it comes to rural street name accuracy.  I also like that it has a very good sense of walking directions for trails which other mapping apps tend to stick to the roads. 

• asianrockerasianrocker ILPosts: 243 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first ever GPS is mio. I hacked it to death and made it my SMART GPS when iphone was just starting and started the smartphone craze. When I had my smart GPS I use garmin maps. Because it has the most reliable route. I use tom tom just coz I can use yoda voice and other celeb voices. Yes, I can put ALL the GPS brand maps on my hacked GPS.

Then I moved on to navigon. Same, I used garmin maps there coz it's more reliable in routing.

When I had my first smartphone, I use waze a lot just coz it tells me if there are police around. Then I found out about google maps. And never look back.

Google maps might not warn me if there are police around but it is the most reliable in  traffic and routes and re routes.

I actually am amazed there are still stand alone GPS on sale these days. I told my husband it will be obsolete in the very near future.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Like you, I'm surprised that any are still around.

This discussion has been closed.