Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

When do you use navigation while driving?

AmyXieAmyXie United StatesPosts: 45 admin
<body><p><strong>Please leave a comment when you choose option 2 , help us understand what triggers you to use navigation when driving to familiar places.</strong></p><p><strong>For example, using it to get route guidance , an estimated time of arrival , or to check road traffic information.</strong></p><p><span style="font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: 'Calibri',sans-serif; background: #FAFAFA;">  </span></p></body>

When do you use navigation while driving? 87 votes

Driving to new places
48% 42 votes
Driving to familiar places
1% 1 vote
Both
50% 44 votes

Comments

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If I have been there before I like to verify or see if there is another route I haven't thought of.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Only somewhere I have never been.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Back when GPS navigation was just becoming mainstream I remember keeping my garmin on all the time, even if I knew where I was going. Nowadays I don't bother unless I'm going to/from someplace new and need to figure out how to get there.

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only use it until I know exactly where I am going. If it is a new place, I most definitely use it, but I will use it to go to that place until I can get there without a doubt.

• osmosizosmosiz USA - NJPosts: 250

Just driving to new places. Even places ive been to but just if I donlt really remember how to get there.

• mrberman87mrberman87 Los AngelesPosts: 4

When I use it to familiar places, it's mostly traffic avoidance

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I selected both, using Waze allows me to get a more accurate travel time, and avoid traffic jams more easily.

Even if there is a location where you have gone to many time in the past without a GPS, sometimes the GPS will help you to find a more efficient route to the same location.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I only use navigation for driving to new places or sometimes to the place before, just because there are traffic (living in or near the Bay Area sucks...) and want to get to a place faster, I would pull it up and see what options will allow me to get to the place faster. But mostly use navigation for getting to new places I've never been before.

Nice to see Google now allows multiple destinations now as well.  That was one thing that was lacking.

• dellasterdellaster Pahrump, Nevada, USAPosts: 103

I use it on trips of over 50 miles, even if familiar, both to see at a glance the time remaining and for avoiding potential traffic problems. Sometimes there are detours for road work, for example. Each reason becomes more and more important the longer the distance may be.

On trips of 200 miles or more, which I do pretty frequently (20+ times per year) knowing of upcoming gas stations would be nice. Unfortunately the routes I travel in the West are often sans cellular connection, even portions of the interstates, and the apps I've used thus far don't download such information ahead of time.

• I only ever use it if I don't know where I'm going. Once I know an area I tend to be able to find short cuts and things. I'm the family navigator.

• mtwaldmanmtwaldman Walled Lake Michigan. Posts: 25

I use it all the time.  live traffic greatly improves my commuting to and from work.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I only need the GPS for places I have never been to.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's great for finding places you have never been to, but in cases of my locality, it is often that highways may be backed up too, and it's very good for recalculating the best alternate routes to take to get you to your destination as quickly as possible.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use the Waze App everyday, going to and from work, since I have to drive an hour to and from work...... traffic is really bad in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Can't you add destinations in Google Maps now? 

Ahhh I see.  I've only had to add one destination so far so it's not as bad as entering 30 to 40.  Maps is one thing that Google seems to keep improving though, so there may be hope.  I'm surprised they haven't swiped up a nav company like Garmin or Tom Tom yet. 

You?  Begging for features that you really want?  Noooooooooo.  I can't see that

• When driving to familiar places, I use it when I have to travel through "the city" and would like an estimate of travel time based on real time traffic conditions.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only time i use GPS is when i have to drive to unfamiliar area.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I hate to say that I live on Navigation apps..... (WAZE).   This is only because I have to drive 45 miles to work everyday and I have about 15 different ways that I can go.... So I have to constantly monitor traffic to see which way is better.

.... ya I know... it  sucks....

• I voted "Both".

For places I've already been to and know multiple potential routes, a navigation app helps with identifying traffic / fastest routes / ETA, especially variations in conditions due to temporary events like construction, weather, unforeseen accidents, or road obstructions/closures.

Sometimes it's also just nice to hear and receive a voice announcement "heads up" for an upcoming turn onto a small street, which may be difficult to anticipate and see, even though I've been through the area before (although not routinely).

• asianrockerasianrocker ILPosts: 243 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the MAIN reason why I use my phone. I can't live without GPS. I use it ALL the time when I am driving while listening to 80s music. Even if you know where you are going, you never know if there is traffic so you need to always use it. Google maps is very efficient on that one. I particularly love that they will  route you to the fastest one if there is heavy traffic.

So I vote for ALL of the above especially for  route guidance , an estimated time of arrival , or to check road traffic information.

This discussion has been closed.