Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

When do you use navigation while not driving?

AmyXieAmyXie United StatesPosts: 45 admin
<body><p>GPS navigation is not just limited to being used in vehicles anymore.</p><p>
Let us know other ways that GPS helps you in your everyday life.</p></body>

When do you use navigation while not driving? 46 votes

Walking route guidance
30% 14 votes
Checking public transit timetables on navigation system
19% 9 votes
While running / hiking to track distance or position
26% 12 votes
While biking to track postion or distance
4% 2 votes
Keeping track of family / pets
0% 0 votes
Any other special usage scenarios
19% 9 votes

Comments

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use it for running. While not giving me directions, it does tell me where I went.  I also use it for Geocaching.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like to look back at my old location data, especially from my trips abroad, just to remember where I've gone and when.

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,041 admin

That's a pretty awesome thing to do. I bet that would make a pretty rad picture / poster one day... maybe print it out for the kids or grandkids.

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use it when walking new places. When I first moved into my dorm at college this past year, I had to go to the bank to set up direct deposit. I took public transit to the general area and turned on my phones navigation. It was great because I could plug my headphones in and listen to music while walking and my music volume would decrease when the navigation program had a new direction to head. I use it all the time during the school year.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is a good idea! I did make a pic of my Nike watch GPS data and overlayed it onto Google earth for my first marathon last year.  Pretty cool stuff. Has all the data points on it and we did get to run around the actual field inside of Lambeau field.

Google Earth Marathon.jpg

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like using it for walking directions, especially in areas where the layout of the city is horrible. e.g., on queens boulevard in NY. A GPS is extremely useful for walking directions.

I also use it for public transportation, as most bus stops are not labeled properly, and when you need to do a trip where multiple transfers are needed, it can be difficult to know where to get off in order to catch the next bus. A GPS makes it easier to figure out where to get off.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

​ I can't imagine needing gps for walking, and public transportation. The 5 yrs I was in Philly I was too terrified to go anywhere, or attempt public transportation on my own. I did take the elevated train to a Flyers game once, but it was with someone that had lived in Philly his whole life. Even with navigational devices I'd be lost.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on the city, here, we have locations where central planners got blackout drunk, and then began numbering things. E.g., in some areas you will be trying to get to a specific street and logic will go out the window.

For example, imagine you are on 30th street, and you need to get to 20th street. You then look down the block and see 29th street, and you go there, then the next block you see 28th street and you go there, next, as you continue on your path, you see 27th street; e seem to be heading in the right direction, you would assume to see an even smaller number on the next block, then suddenly, you proceed to the next block, and you are at a street number like 40. made up example, but this is typically what happens in certain parts of the city, the street numbers do not follow a logical order in many cases.  One moment, street numbers are going down, and the next, they start going back up, and unless you really know the place based on the design of the city and not the numbers, you will have a hard time finding a specific location, especially if it is your first time in the area.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

​ I was nervous even reading that lol. I understand why you would want some kind of navigation device, for sure. 

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've use Google Maps and Apple Maps for walking guidance in SF to get to places I needed to. Also when I was in Macau, I used Google Maps mostly for public transit to know which bus to take to get to somewhere, but couldn't use Google Maps when walking for some odd reason, had to rely on Apple Maps at that time for walking guidance. But for public transit, I think Google Maps did a great job.

I rarely use navigation for walking though... Unless it's a major metropolitan area or a place that does provide decent public transit info when needed, as within the US, I would most likely be driving I think.. But outside of US, I might need to rely on public transit and that's where Google Maps came in handy if I know the name of the location and starting location, as that tells me which bus I need to take an what transfers I might need to be aware of.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I GPS to track my runs, but I do occasionally use it for guidance when I'm walking in unfamiliar territory. Unfortunately, I've found Google Maps for walking guidance is not very reliable. It's only worked about half the time for me.

• ronin550ronin550 Oak Grove, MOPosts: 151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't use unless I am driving. I ahve a good sense of direction, and once i go to a place I can always find my way back.

• dellasterdellaster Pahrump, Nevada, USAPosts: 103

Hiking, of course. Mostly I'm not going to get lost, but I want to know the distance traveled and altitude gain. Sometimes, however, navigation is crucial. For example, I remember one particular hike two years ago in the eastern Sierra Nevada mountains, John Muir Wilderness, where there was a hard-to-find split in the overgrown trail. Without the GPS and downloaded map (no cellular service, naturally) I wouldn't have found it and I would have missed a wonderful and secluded lake.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Walking from Grand Central to  anywhere in NYC haha

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

After walking around with pokemon go or a game and then getting lost as to where I am. Also when just meeting other people for interviews, coffee, dinner.

• soonertoadsoonertoad OklahomaPosts: 35 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used both Google Maps and Waze while on vacation in Ireland. I was able to walk all around Dublin without getting lost.

• i loved using my tracking app to track my calories .. i like posting my status on my FB to get motivation from my friends.

• davedave Ingolstadt, GermanyPosts: 84

1. I use it when playing games (Pokemon Go of course).

2. If I'm at a foreign city/place I don't know I use it to check the location, what you can do there and let me guide to where I can find that location/activity/whatever.

3. I furthermore use it to simply check the distance between where I am and where I want to go.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am in the minority here. I have never used a GPS for anything but driving to a particular location.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Walking distance calculation for exercising.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

recently when in New York  Navigation came in very handy when walking around the city.   and when trying to locate transit.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I could see that in a place like New York.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

Going to NYC next week and will be using Maps often

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use it while running and walking around in a tourist trap.  Running is my most used feature but I have running apps for that.

This discussion has been closed.