Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

The Future Of Mobile Security

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited StatesPosts: 3,985 admin
<body><p>With the growing concern of mobile security, which method of protection would be the most viable answer?</p><p></p><p>Why do you believe the method you've chosen is superior to the others?</p><p></p><p>What are the potential security flaws of the method you've chosen?</p><p></p><p>Could a single sign in password be the answer to all of your  mobile security needs?</p></body>

The Future Of Mobile Security 64 votes

Iris scanning
34% 22 votes
Voice indentification
1% 1 vote
Fingerprint scanning
45% 29 votes
Brainwave scanning
4% 3 votes
Trusted single sign on / one password for everything
14% 9 votes

Comments

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The MOST secure, from what I have read is of course multi factor.  Some form of combination of the choices you have given in the poll.  I would think forcing you to do two forms of identity would exponentially increase the security of the device.  But this is an area where i don't think the average user, including me, has the expertise to truly answer this question correctly.  And as always, almost every article I have read about this also states that no choice is 100% secure.  You can force a person to do many of the things on the list if you wish, Iris scan, fingerprint scan, etc. I read that playdoh and gummi bears can be used to bypass FPS. If somebody wants to hack your device bad enough, they will.  And of course what will drive the most popular method may not be the most secure.  It will be whatever is easiest to use and cost effective. I did not choose an option in the poll, as I really don't know what the answer is, especially since most of it is so new.

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

It would be cool if the front facing camera could scan your eye and detect if it was you or not. Also, voice detection unlock would be nice I think the Axon 7 already utilize this feature.

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that iris scanning would be by far the best. Just about impossible to fake and cutting out an eye properly would be a whole lot harder than cutting off a finger.

Do we know if Samsung has stated how close you need to hold the N7 to your eye, and how long the scan takes?  Providing of course it does actually have it

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,247 mod

lol

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,614 mod

I chose iris scanning, but am sure just one measure alone is not enough. There is always a way around security, and by using just one measure is making it to easy, regardless of the method.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think anyone even knows for sure. It's become a believe it when I see it for me.

• Thanks for the comment! Both cost and functionally effective are most important to ordinary users. I have encounter situations with the face recognition scan that took almost 4 seconds to unlock my phone, for which I ended up using pattern code to unlock each time. Most of the fingerprint scan phones can fulfill my requirement for mobile security, and I could visibly feel the improvements in accuracy and speed of FPS.

• worried about scanning eyes under dim or low light condition. Can't go to sleep without reading or playing with the phone after turing off the light.

Fully agree.  Needs to be straight up simple to use.  I can unlock my phone with my finger as I reach for it in my pocket and it's ready to use. and VERY accurate in this day and age. Now of course other technology will improve no doubt, but does it need to?  It will be a mix of whatever works for most security scenarios at a decent price point for the manufacturer.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I chose single trusted sign-on (which I would NOT regard as the equivalent of using a single password for everything!!). That single sign on could be protected by all the other methods listed, and having just the one sign-on would prevent a proliferation of accounts each with their own login credentials. I have two deadbolts and a chain lock on my front door, but I keep my bedroom open and unlocked.

Video of somebody using the Iris scanner on a Note 7.  It is fast I agree, but not as fast as unlocking it with my finger as I pull it out of my pocket.  Already unlocked when I take it out.

Galaxy Note 7 Leak: Iris scanner on video for first time | BGR

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

In order to maintain security, the premise of something you know, have, and are should be taken into account. 

CS 513 System Security -- Something You Know, Have, or Are

This is a standard best practice for maintaining security.  So if you have a fingerprint and a password, that would meet 2 out of 3 requirements.

• thecoke091thecoke091 Tonawanda NYPosts: 7

Fingerprint over iris scanning, dont need to pick up phone off of a table to do fingerprint scanning (if its on the front of the device like the home button), can have the device unlocked fast for ease of use, and ability to add multiple fingers is great to have. also iris scanning may need some factors that may not be easy in certain situations, such as wearing sunglasses, or even regular glasses may interfere with the scanning, and what about low light or nighttime? I think fingerprint is the most secure with the best ease of use. voice can be copied and only used at times where there is no other sound interference and when youre in an area where its fine to just talk on your phone, which may pose a problem at libraries and such. brainwave may have too much interference with other people near you as well, assuming tech gets advanced enough to do it accurately.

So ill be sticking with my trusty fingerprint for now and for a good long while

• davedave Ingolstadt, GermanyPosts: 84

1. I've chosen the fingerprint scanner.

2. It's the easiest to use. Iris scanning may work fine but you always have to look at the phone. Fingerprint readers will work when you pick up the phone and therefore have it unlocked by the time you actually look on it.

3. Obviously you could somehow copy the fingerprint. But with better technology it will be safer as well. I don't remember exactly what features will be added to ensure safer fingerprint readers but I think that venes will also be scanned when the fingerprint reader is working via infrared. Once again, I'm not sure anymore about this and can't find any prrof for this but I'm sure that I've read an article where it was stated that a 'simple' rebuild of a fingerprint won't be enough anymore once a technically enhanced version is used.

4. A single sign in password would be nice but quite risky as well. There needs to be some way to really ensure that someone who's not supposed to have that password indeed won't get it. And this will be tough without any additional device like having a fingerprint reader on every device (smartphone, tablet, TV and so on).

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is a good example of what I have in mind when I think of single trusted sign-on: Google's Open YOLO project will kill passwords on Android

• With the growing concern of mobile security, which method of protection would be the most viable answer?
      • Fingerprint scanning with EXPLICIT local storage.

• Why do you believe the method you've chosen is superior to the others?
      • Fastest method while balancing security. As with Iris and Voice, it can be faked, but requires greater work to do so.

• What are the potential security flaws of the method you've chosen?
      • Iris scanning can be faked and requires more work to line up the distance + angle. (Hi-Res photo will allow access.)
      • Single sign-on/one password is not secure at all because its one password.
      • Voice identification can be faked and in noisy environments will plain fail. (Adaptive recording software will allow access.)
      • Brainwave scanning is interesting and I do not know enough to comment.

• Could a single sign in password be the answer to all of your mobile security needs?
      • HECK NO! The least secure of them all! No No NO NO NO. If you write your password down, its defeated. If you make it booboo123 after your cat, its broken. If you make it the same as another site/account that is hacked, guess what... its broken.

I want fingerprint scanning with an additional gateway that randomly generates a grid of numbers and requires you to move the secret number to the chosen secret location on the picture (a la Blackberry picture password). Even going one step further and having the user select a number and location for 5 different pictures and randomly present them. You can be compelled to give your fingerprint, but you may "forget" the location and number for the second gateway. (Bruteforce all you want, but wipe the device after a user chosen amount of attempts)

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

With the growing concern of mobile security, which method of protection would be the most viable answer?
    Probably fingerprint scanning. A technology improves, so will fingerprint scanners get faster and more intuitive.

Why do you believe the method you've chosen is superior to the others?

Iris scanning might be more secure, but I doubt it will even come to phones in the near future,
    but fingerprinting is almost just as good, and no two prints are alike.

What are the potential security flaws of the method you've chosen?

It may be possible for a 3rd party to duplicate your fingerprint, but it is highly unlikely unless such
    individuals are extremely talented with technology, engineering and espionage .
    Unless you are serious VIP of the world, you are not going to get hacked in this manner.

Could a single signin password be the answer to all of your mobile security needs?
    No I do not like this method, because it is too easily hackable.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭

Physical security isn't what I'm concerned with.  It's the malicious apps that I worry about.  Those on the system and those I may download.

• kgenovakgenova Austin, TXPosts: 6

Is brainwave scanning an actual thing??

• With the growing concern of mobile security, which method of protection would be the most viable answer?

Password

Why do you believe the method you've chosen is superior to the others?

Passwords are intellectual and so can't be used against use like iris, fingerprint, and even brainwave. Fingerprints can be replicated, as could irises to a certain degree. Even voices could too. I don't know enough about brainwaves to see a fault with that.

Passwords can be as complex or simple as the person sees fit.

What are the potential security flaws of the method you've chosen?

Passwords from users who don't know better can be easily cracked. even passwords from good users can be eventually undone by professionals.

Could a single sign in password be the answer to all of your  mobile security needs?

no a single sign in isn't, it would require multiple securities in place. i like the idea of the single passcode to unlock the phone then a certain partition of the device to be encrypted and have a wholly separate and singular method of securing that location where documents and other things can be stored.

• I saw that and thought it quacky too

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I voted for Iris Scanning.

The reason for this is because someone else's fingerprint is very easy to obtain.  

For instance I know of people that have fallen asleep and people have used there finger while they are sleep to unlock their phone to prank them........  By having an iris scanner it would not be full proof but would make it a lot hard to access someone's phone.

• syaoransyaoran Manassas, VA/Toronto, CanadaPosts: 185 ✭✭

I find fingerprint to be the best balance of convenience and security.  Obviously it isn't the perfect solution but it's better than a password in my opinion and not as complicated as an iris scanner, which probably wouldn't work for me, having had a corneal transplant, and would be very challenging for someone who is blind to use. 

• vanguyvanguy USAPosts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

The brainwave scanning probably wouldn't work too good on my phone.

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted for iris scanning, as that seems like the next gimmick in the works. I don't think there will ever be a form of security that can't be cracked with direct access to the physical device.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,786 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Iris scanning will be the future for the next wave of phones...then something new will come along.

This discussion has been closed.