Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Dark Theme or Light Theme?

mantionmantion Knoxville, TNPosts: 157 ✭✭✭
<body><p>If you had to pick one between light and dark theme as default which would you pick.  </p><p></p><p>I prefer dark themes in all lighting condition.</p></body>

Dark Theme or Light Theme? 136 votes

Dark Theme because Light themes strain pupils and damage vision
74% 101 votes
Light themes because paper is white and It's what I am used to reading.
2% 3 votes
Day I like Light, Night I like Dark.
23% 32 votes

Comments

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Light for Day, Dark for Night.  That's the Angel and Devil in me I guess   Either way, I'd LOVE the option for a dark mode.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like the dark theme.

• mantionmantion Knoxville, TNPosts: 157 ✭✭✭

Im kinda worried that the title is only attracting people who like dark themes.  Surely someone out there likes eye strain and loss of vision from light themes. 

• mttmksmttmks TexasPosts: 93

Dark is best for AMOLED screens because the screen has fewer pixels to turn on to display. It's also better on battery.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great point

• rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

I would really love a dark theme. Especially with an amoled screen this just makes the color pop because you leverage the enormous contrast of the screen. The added battery saving of not turning on unnecessary pixels also helps a lot of course.

Anyone know how to change the Title because i don't think I am getting an accurate view of people who use light themes.  Either that or everyone loves dark themes.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United States Posts: 1,370 admin

​ Reply back with what you want your title to be changed to.

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Or maybe because the choices you provided are worded in a way that makes dark themes far superior. You state "dark theme because light theme damages your vision" or "light theme because paper is white". Kind of a pointless poll tbh. And FYI, a light theme doesn't damage your vision so you might want to change that up a bit and stop spreading misinformation.

Dark theme or Light theme?

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United States Posts: 1,370 admin

Done!

Kinda like Push Poling.. huh..

And yes light themes in any lighting condition is more harmful to your eyes than a dark theme.  I am not about to get into a huge debate here, but white back grounds force your pupils to constrict, which in and of itself strains them.   If your are reading at a close distance, constricted pupils force your lens to be strained.  You also over use a smaller area of your retina and in general squint more.  This issue is far worse when reading in low light or switching from bright screens of a google search to dark images say in a you tube video or a picture.  Snow blindness is a real thing, and if you think that staring at a bright white screen is not harmful than you don't really understand how your eye really works.

We use white back grounds because paper is white and the first GUI word processors and then HTML pages tended to have white back grounds.  Early days of TV pictures were overly white kids actually did damage their eyes and were more likely to need corrective vision when they stared at a bright screen.  In modern day most tv shows are far from bright, TVs are bigger and we sit further away, so eye damage is not an issue. 

Besides the mountain of research that shows bright screen cause eye strain and damage vision, I think you can ask any serious coder who often have the option between coding on a white screen vs dark screen.   Most people who use a dark screen have far less problems with vision.

I am not saying that bright light is bad and I think people do need to take breaks and go outside into the day light.  The real issue is if you are staring and a bright white light close to your face. 

Use light screen or white background and then close your eyes.  Yah you know what you see, you see the over stimulated nerves still producing a response to light that is no longer there.  Now do it for a black screen.

YES I do admit that there is a concern in staring at a dark object for a long period of time, having you pupils dilate slightly then staring at a bright light or running outside as fast as you can.. That said the long term affect is minimal and is FAR less dangerous than staring at a bright white light, IE computer screen / Smart phone. 

I really don't want to do a google search for you, and I suppose you may have been just trolling me, but light themes and white webpages like this do harm peoples vision even if people are used to them.   One last thing if you blink excessively or involuntarily its typically a sign of eye strain, so if you walk outside to a bright day from a move theater and can't keep you eyes open you are doing damage. If you stare at your desk and then stare at your screen and you blink once or twice immediately your screen is too bright.

Making turns in fresh powder, on a blue sky day is a valid excuse for eye damage.  A poorly designed website with a white back ground is a sad excuse to damage your eyes. 

Can't believe you actually typed all that nonsense up. First of all, you can't compare snow blindness to staring at a screen, because the former is the equivalent of staring at the sun or welding. This literally gives your eyes a sunburn from radiation. Displays do not. And once again its been proven that staring at displays DOES NOT permanently damage your eyes, but rather temporarily strains them.

Does Staring At Screens Ruin Your Eyes? - YouTube

But yeah, I'm the troll. SMH

To be fair most of it was already saved on my computer.  I made a post about dark theme, clearly I am passionate about the issue.  I am kinda like one of those ccrazies that said the earth is not flat, slavery is wrong and smoking is bad for you.   

Ok so I never said that staring at a white screen is the same as snow blindness.  I am just using snow blindness as a parallel example.  Snow blindness is to a much futher extreme daily light themes.

That video doesn't show any study on reading on a white back ground opposed to a non white or black back ground.  

And yes man studies in animals and humans showed that early tv usage, close to a small bright mostly white screen was harmful. 

Keep in mind google uses a white back ground, they aren't really big on highlighting that their practice is damaging peoples eyes, so you will have to actually look on a website like science direct to find a study.  If you do find a study that shows reading from a white back ground is no more harmful than a dark back ground please share it, I have never seen it. 

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,244 mod

I love dark wallpapers themes on all apps all of these time. It just looks better to me especially at night.

"There's no evidence that computer vision syndrome causes any long-term damage to the eyes"

Computer Vision Syndrome

Instead of being too proud to admit you're wrong, do a simple search on Google and see the evidence yourself.

Again I am wrong i have only researched the topic for 5 years and have read 3 reach papers on the exact subject from the website I sent you a link for.  Sorry I was doing things and could not respond to you right away. You are an amazing person and I completely admit that a google search and a single you-tube video is complete proof that you are an expert on the subject. you are god you are great you are amazing.   Its stupid to think that excessively straining our pupils staring at a bright white light and overworking our cones, rods and neural receptors would eventually do harm.  Honestly is there anyway I could be as awesome as you. I am so wrong and I so proudly admit it.

What other means of proof can I possibly provide? All my sources have been reputable, while you failed to provide ANY.

PS: Go home, you're clearly drunk.

I love you, where have you been my entire life.  you are so amazing.  How on earth did you figure out how to google, it is beyond my ability.  I think the most amazing thing is I was talking about how dark themes are heather than light themes and you completely ignore that and found a video that deals with eye strain.  Its like you knew that I really wanted to talk about eye strain in general instead of dark theme being better than light theme.

you truly are a gifted person and the world is a much better place because you can google and post a youtube video.  SO amazing. 

I'm sure we can at least agree that there is a neex/desire to have both light and dark themes.  I think that having an auto feature using the light sensor to transition  from a light to dark theme would be very helpful for those who prefer a light them during the day and and a dark them in the evening/at night.  I personally love having dark themes wallpapers and select a dark theme where ever applicable. I do notice a little less strain on the eyes using a dark theme but more so it's just a pleasing experience for me.

Damn, it looks like you wasted 5 years of your life researching the wrong information when a quick Google search is all it takes. And I love it how you try changing the topic by saying "I was talking about how dark themes are heather than light themes and you completely ignore that and found a video that deals with eye strain". I've been trying to tell you that displays DO NOT DAMAGE VISION. This has NOTHING to do with which theme is better for your eyes, because that's irrelevant to what I'm trying to prove. And if you're going to continue acting childish with those comments without providing ANY FACTUAL PROOF, other than you saying you've researched the topic for 5 years, its basically admitting you have no idea what you're talking about, and that you're too stubborn to admit you're wrong.

Yeah I'm not denying this at all, which is why I too voted for both. It's just that you can't say one permanently damages your vision because that's just broscience.

I don't believe that it would permanently damage ones vision either and might have been better worded in the poll but it is just a poll. I think we all get the point in regard to having a dark theme as a useful option whether or not a light theme may or may not cause permanent damage to your eyes

Again, I agree. But OP's wondering why there's a huge discrepancy in his poll and I merely stated that it was worded in such a way that favours a dark theme tremendously.

Yup your right, you are so awesome, thank you for sharing videos and webarticles that have nothing to do with light themes vr dark themes. 

• HI just watched your video.  I am not certain you watched the video.  Does Staring At Screens Ruin Your Eyes? - YouTube  It specifically said "laptops and phones close to your face is bad for you".  Anyways I don't care about the little fight you guys are having.  I do know that light themes hurt my eyes when its dark or even when the screen is a bit too bright.  I never have problems with dark themes hurting my eyes no matter how bright the screen is or how light or dark it is outside.  I would love to see a study on this to make sure i am not hurting my eyes using dark themes or know that I should avoid light themes more. 

I'm sure that the topic could be argued about all day long.  But I'm sure we can all agree that it is nice having the option of both.  For those that need an immediate  fix there are numerous 3rd party launchers with dark themes,  you can also choose dark wallpapers to help a little.     :)

It's bad because it causes eye strain, not because of permanent damage to vision. If you continued watching, you'd hear him say it's a complete myth that there's a correlation between vision loss with staring at a display. ​, your childish behavior truly demonstrates your character.

PS: I know I'm both awesome and amazing, and it was a pleasure to prove you wrong