Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Would you like the Google Dialer to be installed

Comments

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree Textra is my favorite messaging app period.  All of my mobile devices...Step 1 load Nova Launcher.  Step 2 load Textra.

I customize ringtones for my contacts with no problem.I have about 10 different ones for different contacts. Not sure what you mean by integration with the contact list.  Mine seems fine.  I only have a single sim, so that doesn't affect me .

I used to be the same way, I've learned to say my favorite instead of the best

• Correct, with the Zenui dialer, messenger and contacts from Asus you can assign a custom ringtone and a custom notification tone to each particular person if you want. I only assign special ringtones and notifications to certain people the rest get the default selection. Also like that when sending text's it is set up like the dialer sim 1 or sim 2 is right at the bottom, just hit the one you want, easy peasy. With the contact and dialer with ZTE you can only do a custom ringtone, custom message tone is not enabled. It is there though, I saw it in the files, they apparently limited the ability to use it. It's nice to have a custom text tone for certain people, because I know who has what and decide whether or not it's important. If its a standard tone, I'll look when I get around to it.. LOL.

Yes.

You select the notification tone from Textra inside the texta app, only affecting the text tone from each individual if you wish.  It doesn't change ringtones whatsoever.

• Did not see that ability at all. It is also irrelevant as I do not like Textra at all regardless as I noted above there is many issues with it. Pointing out one thing when I don't like many things about the app is for what purpose? The most annoying is the way to switch sims for sending out texts. I know it doesn't affect ringtones only notification tones, please read what I wrote above as I was speaking about 3 things that all work together. Most importantly though I think a stock app should work just fine and have all the options open not closed. If someone wants to load their phone down with 3rd party apps, that should also be their right to do so. I just don't get all this pushiness towards this app.

The point was you misstated your facts.  It does indeed have individual notification tones for each user, and I wanted to make it clear to other potential users that it did have that feature.  I wasn't being pushy, and if it seemed like I was I apologize. I never even told you to use it. I merely stated that I like to use it and why.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as well. I will say that I am unable to use it on my wife's Note 5.

She can't get notifications with it. We tried everything. There is something with her device that doesn't slow it to give the notifications. You and I already discussed this. I use Textra on my device and love it.

•    Correct, I am because I (notice the I in the sentence) do not like it. I don't like it for many reasons as I've already stated. The fact you  do like it and you apparently know nobody in the entire world who hasn't sung it's praises is irrelevant. You suggested it, I said I didn't like it and gave a few examples why. Did you leave it at that? Nope you just had to continue because you just can't understand why someone else isn't liking what you think is the "best" thing since sliced bread and isn't singing praises for a stupid app in typical fanboy fanatical fashion.

1. I did download it again to see if you can customize ringtones for each contact, still can't see where you do it. Checked the settings, it is just the notification tone for all messages. If you click on the settings for each person it brings back to the contacts where custom notification ringtone is not even listed for an option because it has been blocked. Ringtones and notification tones are 2 entirely different things.

2. I do NOT like for the 3rd time how you have to long press to switch between sims. I want it to be sim1 and sim 2 at the bottom and I just hit which one I want to send on. Let me know what part of that is confusing for you.

I don't find that it has lots of customization a bad thing, in fact I like it. However it still isn't doing what I want and doesn't have the theme I want. I'm glad you love it, that's great for you. You suggested it, I looked at it, I didn't like it. Sorry, if I offended you because I didn't like something you love like some school girl who is now pissed because everyone isn't fawning over everything recommended and spoken by you.

Yes, yes you were trying to force it just by your comments. Here's an idea, if you suggest something and someone else doesn't like it instead of making comments getting your panties in a bunch try and understand not everyone is going to like everything you do.

Try long holding a conversation. Then selecting the three dots and customize. Sorry this is so short, I am on my mobile.

• ​  Thank you, I think I figured it out by following your directions. I'm sorry, I didn't intend to be rude to you personally.

Do you know of a way to set it to sim 1 and sim 2 at the bottom, over the long hold? That would great

​   LOL, it took me a bit to figure it out as well. You have to hold down on the main screen on the person you want to customize until the screen goes "green" at the top and then hit the three dots, you should then see a different "customize" button, click that. That should be for just that particular person. If you don't hit and hold the person first and hold it will end up bringing you back to the regular contact app where it is blocked.

• ​ Agreed, it is a very odd way to set a customization. If hollap didn't post it I wouldn't have figured it out, this is the fourth time downloading this app and all I kept getting brought back to was the contact where it is blocked.

• nibiru2012nibiru2012 Austin TXPosts: 343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all for the handy tips about custom notification tones on Textra.

Been using it for over a year and never knew that. 

Who said ya can't teach an ol' dawg new tricks!  LOL!

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

​  I understand that the conversation between you and ​ went "south" but please refrain from using profanity on this forum.

No worries, ​. Like I said, sometimes people just disagree.  As far as the SIM issue, I can't be much help there, as I have a single SIM.  No way for me to test

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

Brian, your participation on this forum is remarkable and your posts are very informative and always a great read. Sometimes people disagree, get frustrated and words are said, it happens to the best of us. We just need to keep the forum rules in check and refrain from using profanity. Although it is easier said than done sometimes it's better to simply leave the conversation before it gets to that point.

This discussion has been closed.