Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Would you like the Google Dialer to be installed

Comments

• clocksclocks ColoradoPosts: 39

This is one of those destructive votes: give me a feature that ZTE couldn't possibly do,  because some other company made a business choice that ZTE doesn't control.

I,  too,  like the Google dialer.

Google has made the decision to limit it to just the Google branded and partner built devices. . moto,  nexus,  pixel.

Sucks? yup.

ZTE able to do anything about it?  nope.

A more constructive place for us to vote: what's the next best,  and how can ZTE improve the default dialer?

• ggregggreg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the very least, I'd like to be able to completely replace the preinstalled dialer with a dialer of my choice. Currently I have a google dialer installed but it only acts as a front end, with the native app taking over for a lot of preferences and the actual call.

• adrbadrb Toronto, CanadaPosts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The preinstalled dialer has to be a system app,. so it has to be preinstalled by ZTE.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes please, but be sure to also include the google contacts application.

• gersh41gersh41 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a patched version of the google dialer on my Axon 7.  Seems to be working fine.  Just google the name of the APK below, and download it.  Seemed to take a few minutes to install, but works.

com.google.android.dialer_4.0.129037693-403224_minAPI23(nodpi)_samsung-patched.apk

• ggregggreg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    adrb wrote:The preinstalled dialer has to be a system app,. so it has to be preinstalled by ZTE.

I understand this. However, on my Moto X Pure I disabled the stock dialer and the installed Google Phone app completely replaced it (the new call screen started providing G+ caller ID information).

• com.google.android.dialer_4.0.129037693-403224_minAPI23(nodpi)_samsung-patched.apk

I put this on last night, and also found a Google contacts that works, I'm a happy camper now. I do believe the axon 7, is going to be a great phone ( not that it isn't ) once more developers get involved   

• stevenkelby@gmail.com[email protected] South AustraliaPosts: 70

That worked perfectly, thanks to you!

Where did you find a Google contacts apk that worked?

• com.google.android.contacts_1.5.16-10516_minAP121(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

It installed with no problem.

Actually I had just found and installed that one before you replied.  Thanks though.

I came from a Moto X, and missed the simplicity of that camera, so I installed the camera_5.0.47.7_s0bes_hacked.apk.  Works great, though I wish it carried the double twist to open feature.  And if I need manual mode, I can still use the original camera.

• I have no issues with the Axon dialer, it is pretty good. What I don't like is not being able to use another contacts app without screwing things up.

• Is there a dialer where one can set up "swipe left" for text messages and "swipe right" for call? Coming from a Note 4 (was about to order the note 7 but I have kids in the house, and kids and explosives don't go well together - or so they say...) I really got used to that feature and continuously keep doing that on the stock dialer .

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

​ Give Contacts  plus a try for something similar  Contacts + - Android Apps on Google Play

Contacts +- screenshot

Also give Drupe a try, its pretty cool Contacts Phone Dialer: drupe - Android Apps on Google Play

Contacts Phone Dialer: drupe- screenshot

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Drupe is another great dialer/contact app many people in the community use.  I tried it once, it wasn't for me, but i don't make many calls to begin with.  ​ makes a great recommendation with Contacts + as well

• Thank you all. I have tried contacts+ and drupe. I am trying out Asus and so far liking Asus (although you can only set dial OR SMS on swipe). Miss the Samsung dialer where swipe left is SMS and swipe right is call.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is the Samsung dialer something you can install from the playstore or an APK from somewhere?

I've been using the Asus dialer for a few days now and really like it as well 

Yes, Yes and Yes  love dark themes!

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've been using the Zen dialer and contacts in black theme for awhile. I use the Hiya phone app as my default dialer so calls come in through it cuz it has better call spam blocker. I use the Zen dialer to make all calls and love the look of it.

This discussion has been closed.