Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Whats your thoughts on ZTE's MiFavor ? Should ZTE replace it with a completely stock UI?

musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>Do you like the MiFavor UI on the Axon Series or would you prefer a Stock rom? Do you think ZTE should give people the option? Complete with ALL Google stock apps, browser, note app, email, messager, dialer, contacts, and Google Now. Whats you thoughts?</p><p></p><p>Whats your thoughts and suggestions for ZTE for the future releases and the next Axon</p></body>

Whats your thoughts on ZTE's MiFavor ? Should ZTE replace it with a completely stock UI? 525 votes

I dont mind the MiFavor UI, as long as ZTE fixes the issues
16% 87 votes
YES ZTE GET RID OF MiFavor UI and Go STOCK
55% 290 votes
I would like the option of which one I use & not just a stock theme
26% 139 votes
ZTE did a great job with MiFavor UI dont touch it
1% 9 votes

Comments

• I remember that companies like motorola used to sell phones directly from the play store running stock android. If there was a stock android version of the Axon 7 I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I find it ridiculous that ZTE voids hardware warranty because of unlocking the bootloader. If you root/unlock your phone and soft brick it that's 100% your fault. I don't see how they can justify canceling hardware warranty. If ZTE changes these policies they can definitely count on me buying one!

I'd also really like to see them release the 6gb ram version with Motorola stye always on screen I heard rumored. The active notifications on the Moto x is my favorite feature on my Moto X

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't respond from experience to this point as i do not have my device but I would always be in favor of having the option.

I don't think ZTE needs to deliver only a stock OS as many others have their own layer. I do feel that if you are going to do that, make sure your stuff functions at a level higher than AOSP and not lower.

• I almost always toss on Nova Launcher, so I'd love stock. It's usually easier on resources.

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I will probably get my gray phone next week.

I hate bloatware, but I can understand why they are installed, probably because of contract between ZTE and other party, and so on. But at the end, it must be the user that decide what to keep. So all preinstalled app must be allowed to be deleted. This the feature I want the most, be able to control what is in my phone.

I'm ok with the pre-installed app, to make me discover things and so on, but at the end of the day if I don't want it it should be my right to delete it.

• I don't get the fascination with stock android. I'm perfectly fine with the phone as is.

• celticchryscelticchrys Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

I just want to point out that MiFavor and MIUI are two different interfaces. MIUI is Xiaomi's iPhone knockoff skin for Android. MiFavor is _much_ closer to stock. Just so ya'll know, this question is set up really inaccurately.

This phone comes with practically no bloatware, at least in the USA.

• I can't vote yet as I don't have the phone but if one of the launchers is close to the smart launcher on the Grand X Max 2 I'll be fine with it, one of my fav launchers. Duplicate apps is a horrible idea, I like the idea of stock Android apps but I do like ZTE calendar app over Google's so it's a toss up. Nova launcher is my new best friend but something's didn't work on the Grand x.max 2 so hopefully it works fine with the Axon.

No Nova problems so far for me. Which features didn't work on the Grand Max 2?

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

MiFavor*

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding just what is being said here. My experience with HTC and Samsung devices have given me very definite ideas of what bloat is. When we are talking about "bloat" and "duplicate apps" in this thread, do you mean to say there are two versions of some apps installed on the phone (I haven't seen this) or that there are "ZTE" versions of a few apps on the phone? I do not see "duplicate" apps in the sense of there being two of anything installed. There aren't any carrier specific apps (thankfully) installed. The messaging (text, sms) app that comes installed is quite small (308 K). The E-mail app that comes installed is 1.62 MB. Calendar is 40KB. The Browser is the biggest, at 72.26 MB. While it is true that you cannot remove these apps, only disable them, they are the leanest, smallest set of apps that I've seen on an Android phone so far from the factory. There is "My Voice" (280K) which I suppose could be considered a duplicate of Google Now, but it's leaner than S-Voice (12.82 MB), which comes on Samsung devices.

In the past, the only thing on this phone I'd have considered "bloat" is the "ZTE Rewards" apps. It's a far cry less than all the junk that has come on my Samsung and HTC devices, and as a bonus, there's no pile of carrier apps additionally filling the memory. I suppose it's all relative and depends what you're coming from. I agree that we should be able to delete any app that will not actually crash the phone, but that's what rooting is for.

• teutonjon78teutonjon78 USAPosts: 326 ✭✭✭✭✭

There aren't any duplicate apps really -- it just includes AOSP versions of apps rather than the full Play Store version. So, for example, the email app is the same one from Google, rather than just the Gmail app which can technically cover both.

It's probably mostly a leftover from doing development in China, where they don't include anything Play Store by default, so those only really have access to the AOSP versions rather than updates from the Play Store. Of course, Google seems to be working on getting into China, so that will probably all change in the future.

• I agree with your assessment of the preinstalled apps as they are not redundant. However, some of them really do stink up the phone.

When you have to replace them with "better" apps from the Play Store that's OK too. The problem is when you cannot uninstall the preinstalled apps that you do not want because they stink! So in my opinion, that is bloat. Anything that you cannot uninstall, that is not related to the vital operation of the phone itself, is not right!

Even on Windows 10 I believe there are some apps that cannot be removed without a great deal of trouble.

We always like to blame Microsoft for nefarious activities related to software, but in this case I think they may be taking a lesson from... cell phone manufacturers???

• djona12djona12 BelgiumPosts: 82

I'm a flash addict and i love custom rom based on AOSP.

But ta ask an OEM to ship his phone with AOSP is stupid. Only nexii ships with stock android (and some rare other "exception" phone). Moreover, stock is just a joke, with a lot of basic features missing.

Plus, from what i've seen, miFavor with "stock" theme doesn't look so bad... They just need to fix some of their features and of course the bugs.

As far as bloat goes, you can always disable the apps you don't like and install google replacement.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree

Again I agree with you. We are on the same page.

The more stock Google it is the better for me. I can download other apps I may want.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Judging by looking at reviews and reading, it appears as if the ui is just a tweak of stock as opposed to other systems like touchwiz. While we do all love stock the best, this doesn't seem overbearing anyway. Can't wait to test it out myself though!

• djona12djona12 BelgiumPosts: 82

Sure you can... Root is the answer^^.

On a serious note, that's unfortunate...

• bronderbronder Columbus, OhioPosts: 13

Stock!   I also have a oneplus3,  and there are only very minimal tweaks they  did that just make it usable.  If an app is not as good as stock Google (dialer,  phone,  calendar) why bother?  Efforts should be directed into core functionality tweaks and fixes,  not spent on sub par apps

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,166 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It should die a quick, but painful death.  IMHO it adds absolutely no value over stock Android and just adds more possibility of bugs and more development time to get releases out.

This discussion has been closed.