Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Whats your thoughts on ZTE's MiFavor ? Should ZTE replace it with a completely stock UI?

Comments

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

wow, I missed this customization in Nova. Thanks for the tip. My scrolling is smoother with the Action launcher. I notice this on Facebook and other apps. I've tried all the different settings in Nova Prime. I'm talking about my A7. My old OP3 had smoother scrolling than my A7. My Old Note 5 was super smooth, just like an iPhone. I love super smooth.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I know, I am not sure how I missed it though. I've been through the settings so many times.

• i agree keep the basics stock and allow us to customize....encourage customization wit h unlocked bootloaders and unrooted handsets

• jimlloyd40 wrote:You can't uninstall or disable the messaging app or the gallery app . 

I hate not being able to disable them at least.

The calendar app too, not needed.

• jonathan3579jonathan3579 Houston, TXPosts: 427 ✭✭✭✭✭

You and me both! Except now they can't be enabled. ZTE's default apps are garbage in comparison to Google's and some third parties.

• adrbadrb Toronto, CanadaPosts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try Windows DeBloater 3.90 to re-enable system apps.

• The voice actions are great and many of the added options are nice.  I don't see where having extras is a bad thing as long as there are so many like how Samsung used to do.  I think ZTE has a good amount of usable additions here.  It's just a bit buggy. 

• I still don't get it, can't you just use a different loader and begone with what ever, Milfavor?

I use Apex and it's been nothing but great.

• firesilverbladefiresilverblade Hanahan, south carolinaPosts: 19

I would say yes it needs to be stock Android. Then ZTE can make it unique by applying a launcher. I like how they started with themes but not so many to choice from but hey can't complain. I can't really say that the phone ui is bad but not polish enough to pit on their flagship phone. The other benefit of using base Android is less bugs and less headache for the customers and more time for updates.

• I see, that makes sense, thank you for your explanation.

• ryampolskyryampolsky United StatesPosts: 231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes you can use a different launcher like you are with Apex. But that does not change the underlying user interface (UI).

Exactly.  And the launcher isn't really much of a problem.  Yes, I replaced it with Nova - but mainly because I didn't like the oversized icons on the MiFlavor launcher.  But the bigger issues have to do with basic OS features they've either fiddled with - or disabled outright.  My pet peeve is that they disabled multi-user mode, which I loved on my Nexus.

I don't mind what they've done with the notification shade - even like it a bit.  But remember, all these changes are why it takes them so long to put out upgrades - and that's just not worth it in my book.  Keep it to a minimum - and concentrate on selling phones based on the undeniably good value proposition they're offering.  Yes, everybody wants to eventually become the next Samsung - but the next Samsung is looking to be whichever OEM does the best job of supporting their hardware with OS and security updates.  And that crown has just been taken by Google - with the Pixels.  Well, in my opinion, the Axon 7 is a much better value than the Pixel, and ZTE would do better trying to emulate Google's approach than Samsung's.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see a return to the rom like the Axon pro, pretty much stock android

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with all of you that want a stock Android experience.  Seems like a no brainer to me. 

• First android phone, I kinda like their UI. The android skin(?) that they offer is a band-aid at most though. My problem is not being able to disable the Calendar, photo, and messaging app for Google's alternative. They let us disable the web browser, why not the other sutff?

• The skin isn't too bad, but they made some questionable choices that make no sense. Why are the battery stats so vague? Why can't I select one of my wallpapers from my online collection? I have to download it and then set it from the stock gallery app. Adding contacts introduced an extra step. You can't disable certain system apps(none of the major ones is fine, but I can't disable the toolbox and other stuff I'll never use). The smart power option didn't seem like it did anything. The phone has great standby time without it. I still feel like if they took an approach like OnePlus or Motolenovo and just tweaked the stock UI and added a few enhancements it would've been a much better experience.

This discussion has been closed.