Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Whats your thoughts on ZTE's MiFavor ? Should ZTE replace it with a completely stock UI?

Comments

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Please everyone in the community reading this, if you havent voted on this please do so. We must make our voices heard loud and clear for ZTE. We want stock android.

Corrected the poll answers

np, ​ hows you week been ?

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,615 mod

​ good morning, It can be hard to keep up with everyone, and usernames. ​ is his mention name to respond to.

​ I can understand your confusion and I hear what your saying, however rest assured that the Mod Squad sees, hears and notices everything thats happening in the Z-Community and the team is continuing to adjust and grow to the needs of the community

• I just downloaded what I thought was a necessary update for this and it totally messed up my phone (my second phone since it did the same thing to the first one).  Being a phone I don't need it to work like a computer.  Also, there are NO instructions for what it is or how to use it.  I wish I had NEVER updated it.

• absolutesyn2absolutesyn2 San Antonio, TXPosts: 7

I'm new to the ZTE family so I don't have enough time with my Azon 7 yet to make a decision.  So far the only issue I have had was when I hit clear all to close apps the home launcher goes back to Android Stock until I hit home.  Thought that was strange.

• my first phone did the update and started acting weird - pictures in my gallery were acting strange.  so, that phone went back and I got a replacement,  the replacement (second phone) did the update the same day that I posted my comment.  Now, my second phone is doing the same messed up stuff in the gallery.  it added a faded icon (that acts like a folder) in the gallery and when pressed some pictures disappear and the faded icon has a number (same as the pictures that disappeared), then when the faded icon is pressed again the pictures come back.  I do NOT like it.

This what has happened with both of the Axon 7 phones after the mifavor update

The first icon and the sixth icon should NOT be there.  This happens with all of my photos

Also, this is not the only thing the mifavor update did to my phone - since we cannot see the pictures of people in our contact list - I added a shortcut of them to a window on the phone,  I made folders to separate family, work, and like this screen shot misc.  After the mifavor update it totally re-arranged the shortcuts - they were scattered all over, even making a new window to accommodate all of them.

Also, my app drawer icon has disappeared and on a new window there are now folders that I did not make with all of the apps in them.

right now I am totally disappointed with this.

• trainerjoetrainerjoe Cape Coral, FloridaPosts: 0

I absolutely love stock Android AKA Vanilla Android.  I wouldn't mind a cell phone company's custom skin as long as it has 110% customization, where the user has the ability to change, replace or delete whatever function, gesture, or application the user wants.  Not to name names, but the One Plus 3T is a perfect example of what a custom skin should look like or function.  If the Axon 7 had the customization ability that the One Plus 3T had it not only would be a Flagship Killer, but it would also be the One Plus 3T killer as well.  Also updates are great for bug fixes and resolving other issues that pop-up every once in a while, but updates that help improve the users' overall experience is what keeps customers loyal to the brand and to the product!  Come on ZTE we know you can do better!! Bring on Android 7.0, a fully functional always on display, optional default applications, better camera software, night-mode & dark-mode, and an option to activate & deactivate the notification bell.  These all can be fixed thru a software update.     

• ooklathemokooklathemok Posts: 282 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's puzzling for sure why OEMs still insist on creating their own skin. For one, it wastes their own resources. And two, consumers either don't care or hate it. No one says "I have to buy a Samsung because I love Touchwhiz." Consumers buy phones IN SPITE OF the skins, not because of them. Most consumers would either prefer stock or aren't savvy enough to know the difference. So why not just go with stock? Save yourself the R&D trouble, you'll also be able to get faster OS updates out to customers. Compete on specs and hardware, but leave the OS alone - Google already did the heavy lifting.

• trainerjoetrainerjoe Cape Coral, FloridaPosts: 0

I totally agree with ​ we should have the option available to us to choose whether or not we want to use the pre-installed apps or download and use a similar or better app from the Play Store.  After all this is the main reason why I chose Android over IOS.  It's all about choices and customization.  If you're not going to give us the ability to choose, change, and make our devices unique & different, then you might as well place and Apple logo on the back of the phone.  Yes stock Android can be boring, but at least it can be customized to your liking. 

• I personally find stock UI or UX ugly and extremely dull for my taste. Its like nothing is really setting it apart from other devices UI. Then again i'm also the type of person who looks at the UX before making a purchase on any device. I figured if I'm just going to put a stock launcher on my device then I would buy a nexus or even better a Pixel device, at least they moved away from stock...which leads to another thing. Now that Google made their own device with its own UX aka the pixel launcher doesn't that mean that's the new standard for "stock" and if you are rocking a nova or even google now launcher that's not stock or the purest google expereience...just saying. But like I was saying before I prefer the default MiFavor UX.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,596 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, no issue finding any setting you want in Stock Android. I"ve been saying this for months. I wish ZTE would give us a stock experience. I have my doubts that they are going to, If anything it seems like they are digging in on their MiFavor UI. I wonder if the manufacturers have to pay Google more to run stock Android. This is the only reason I can see why they insist on building their own UI's is to possibly save money.

This discussion has been closed.