Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Whats your thoughts on ZTE's MiFavor ? Should ZTE replace it with a completely stock UI?

Comments

• trottertrotter United StatesPosts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have started to comment on this thread several times but each time I reconsidered it and moved on. This time I think I can put out some coherent thoughts.

I don't care for the MiFavor theme/skin, but that is my personal preference. I prefer a clean homescreen with only the apps I want readily accessible , and I set up my other screens basically the same way. I cannot stand using a phone that does not have an app drawer just for this single reason... which is part of my loathing for iPhones. I tried the stock Android version but quickly turned away from it because I could find no way to change the grid size. Sorry but only have four icons across a 5.5" screen is beyond inane to me as it makes a phone look like a toddler's toy instead of a high-tech device.

What would I want changed? I have no idea as I did not use either version of the launcher for very long at all. But, again, the reason for rejecting both of them were personal preferences. As far as I know the default launcher is just fine and works the way it should. I have chosen to move to a third party launcher that meets my needs, Nova Prime at the moment but I have also installed ZenUI as another option and own the pro/prime versions of several other launchers if I decide to move further.

I am not of the mind that ZTE or any other company should bow to demands or protests and just toss overboard that which they have put together for the public. Should they listen? Yes, most definitely. Should they take it into consideration for future releases or updates? Absolutely. Should they bow and scrape and trip all over themselves to please a vocal few? Nope. None of this is meant as an affront to anyone, but is rather my thoughts on the matter. There's no reason to demand that ZTE toss out their stuff when people have so many other choices from so many other launchers available. Let people vote with their feet, or in this case with their clicks. I am sure that ZTE will listen to that more than anything.

• ooklathemokooklathemok Posts: 282 ✭✭✭✭✭

The current  "stock" android on the A7 is just a theme to look like stock. That's not what we're asking for. We're asking for actual stock Android OS - which is much more than just the look of screens or icons or grid size. You can still use your launcher (ie Nova) of choice with stock Android to get the look you want. We're talking functions, bloat, layouts, updates, patches, etc.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I can see what your saying but if a company is being told by the overwhelming majority that they prefer something else then as a company that is looking to sell its product it would be silly not to switch to whatever a company is being told by its user base that they want. If the people who buy your product are telling you that they want a stock rom then there is no reason not to as they are the ones supporting your business.

• trottertrotter United StatesPosts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I wish there was an option on here for multi reply...

I see that I misunderstood a few things so I offer my apologies for that. I was under the impression that the discussion was more about the aesthetics of the launcher.

I do wish there was a pure Android option for us, like an AOSP ROM. I would definitely prefer it to come from ZTE so that it would be 100% compatible. Nothing against the efforts of those who work long and hard for the benefit of the community but if it came from the manufacturer then there would be no guesswork about functionality.

• stanjk3stanjk3 Philadelphia, PAPosts: 0

Just got my A7 on Xmas. Coming from a Nexus 5X, first thing I did was make sure it was set to stock Android. Then I installed Google's launcher to make it look even more like stock Android. Only complaint I have, it's silly that a phone with a 5.5" QHD screen is limited to a 4x4 grid of icons. I played with Nova launcher a little bit but decided to go back to Google's launcher.

• gweeper64gweeper64 United StatesPosts: 248 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got my Axon 7 Mini for Christmas. I'm coming from a Motorola G LTE (1st Gen). I have been using MiFavorUI to give it a chance but I will likely switch to Nova Launcher soon. Given that I am coming from a Moto phone, I much prefer the "stock" Android experience. There are only a few things that bug my about MiFavor so far so kudos to ZTE for not going too crazy. But, why does it need its own Contacts/Dialer and Calendar? What is wrong with Googles? It seems like they could add value somewhere else.

• Yes they should. I would even pay around $50 for fast stock OS on this device.

• vanguyvanguy USAPosts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I will catch some flack over this, but simply put:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS STOCK ANDROID

Every phone mfg or developer gets the basic android kernel from Google. This basic kernel has no GUI or skin. It is the framework that is needed to provide basic functionality and optional features for the OS. (like .net framework for windows)

EVERY phone mfg must develop their own skin and decide what features and functionality they will provide.

Compare a Google Pixel phone to a MOTO G/X/ etc. Moto is considered a "Pure" android experience but the Skin is not the same as a Nexus or Pixel phone. The reason is Moto still has to design their own Skin. There are different features, options and different looks.

MiFavor is definitely not the best implementation of android, but they have included some nice helpful features that you won't find on other phones. It definitely needs some improvement.

A barebones OS would not be my choice. Having to add 42 different apps to my phone just to get basic features and options that most people use everyday seems to defeat the purpose.

jimlloyd40 wrote:When I say stock Android I'm talking about being like the Nexus phones. 42 apps is a dramatic exaggeration. 

Just a little

• gweeper64gweeper64 United StatesPosts: 248 ✭✭✭✭✭

But there is a stock launcher (multiple; the AOSP launcher and the Google Now launcher) and there are stock Google apps for Contacts, Dialers, Calendar, etc. And there is a "stock" settings menu that can be customized with additions. Look at the Moto phones as an example. There is no need to put engineering resources into those things. At least in western markets. It might make more sense in Asian markets.

If they really think they need their own launcher, if I were in charge, I would try and cut a licensing deal with Nova Launcher and put a custom theme on it.

Apps are different from the base OS.

I agree that many phone mfg's and service providers include the Google Dialer, Contacts and SMS apps as their default. They are good basic apps that just work. So why change it?

However, there are features of the base OS that some phone mfg's and service providers choose to implement and some not. For example the ability to adjust the intensity of vibration for haptic feedback or vibrate on ring is built into the base OS. ZTE chose not to use it on the A7. It's still there in the code but not being used.

It's not just about the look and feel of the phone. It's about software features and how they are implemented or not implemented.

This software implementation is different on every phone.

That's why there really is no such thing as "stock android"

whosegweeper64 wrote:But there is a stock launcher (multiple; the AOSP launcher and the Google Now launcher) and there are stock Google apps for Contacts, Dialers, Calendar, etc. And there is a "stock" settings menu that can be customized with additions. Look at the Moto phones as an example. There is no need to put engineering resources into those things. At least in western markets. It might make more sense in Asian markets.If they really think they need their own launcher, if I were in charge, I would try and cut a licensing deal with Nova Launcher and put a custom theme on it.

Maybe you have hit on something here. Phone Mfg's who are based in China like Huawei, Xiaomi, ZTE, etc. whose largest market is China are used to designing things a different way. Maybe folks in China use their phones differently than folks in the US. Who knows? Just a guess.

Ahhh. You're right I forgot about that.

• I prefer the stock option since I just don't like how there are two apps that serve the exact same function. If it the device was stock, I would just use Google's apps and be done with it.

I am referring to..

Touchpal and GBoard

Browser and Chrome

• Would definitely prefer stock Android and apps. I have installed Google dialer and messaging apps along with Nova Launcher and the phone is much better.

Love the hardware, just not happy with the implementation of Android at this point.

• ryampolskyryampolsky United StatesPosts: 231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who knows - they may actually be losing money.  LG loses money on its phones - largely because they keep chasing novelty instead of refining what they already have.  LG hit on some great stuff with the G2, got a little lost chasing the 'big screen' fad with the G3/G4, and lost their minds with the G5 (which could have been great, if it hadn't sacrificed battery size to give you - wait - a replaceable battery) and the V10/20, which are, face it, niche devices.  And all the while hanging on to one of the worst Android skins in the business.  ZTE, if you're watching, that's not the path you want to be going down.

• ryampolskyryampolsky United StatesPosts: 231 ✭✭✭✭✭

ZTE isn't just phones either.  They're a big company with lots of products - just not visible consumer facing stuff like LG's.

• firesilverblade1firesilverblade1 hanahhan, SCPosts: 70

Yeah I said I could deal with ZTE ui but I was wrong if they are listening please do something better than what you have. I don't need an extra window for settings.  And it definitely needs performance fix. It feels like I'm using a year old device after a few months playing with the phone. The phone and specs are great it's the coding that holds this beast back.

• rjt378rjt378 ChicagoPosts: 63 ✭✭✭✭

And Motorola now also gets preferential treatment from Google. Motorola is a heritage brand for all of humanity. They started this thing but had lost their way until they once again made good hardware, and made the common sense choice of not fixing something that isnt broken, by going pure Android.

These phone makers need to get out of their own way and stick to hardware. There is no reason anyone should be posting threads in forums about which phone to choose, the 3T of the Axon 7, when the A7 can be had for around $100 less. The ego trip in needing to inject your own software robs you of sales. The only thing on this phone that ZTE hand a hand in making is their toolbox app, which is quite good.

• rjt378rjt378 ChicagoPosts: 63 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't mean it like that. Just that for $100 less (I actually got the A7 for $325 from Jet.com two weeks ago which was more than $100 less than the 3T I was considering) the only thing people seem to go with the 3T for is the software and ROM support. So if ZTE would get out of their own way, I would have to imagine most people would choose the A7, and threads like that would not need to exist.

Of course everyone can and should get advice, if they need it. And because of the software alone, I see most people recommend the 3T over the A7 (these two phones are direct competition). Which is a shame. That should be a totally unreasonable reason to lose a sale for any phone maker. Especially when Google has done the work for you. All you have to do is make the right choice that most everyone would want you to make.

This discussion has been closed.