Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Whats your thoughts on ZTE's MiFavor ? Should ZTE replace it with a completely stock UI?

Comments

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

NOW I finally see what you are talking about LOL.  Yeah mine don't show in there either.  I have most of the people I text in favorites, so they just show up when I hit + the first time, with their picture in there.  Sorry about that, ​!

and ​,  You have to have contacts selected as "favorites" in the contacts app in order for them to just show up when you hit the + once.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,597 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If I hit + it opens to my keyboard and blank screen with a search bar on top to search for who you want to text to. You are right when I hit + it should show my contacts, which is what messenger does. I wonder if I have bug.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see a pure Nexus/GPE device from ZTE.

I started my contacts so they would show up. I've never had to do that before with any other sms app to get the contacts to show up. Nice app over all.

Lucky you, that is one of the best things about having a Nexus device.

Same here.  I'm not sure why you have to star them, but the app is so good I don't care.  And once it's done, I forget about it.

• npaladin2000npaladin2000 Wappingers Falls, NYPosts: 376

I really don't see what the big deal is, MiFavor mostly stays out of your way from what I'm experienging here (in an attempt to mortally drag this thread away from Textra and back on topic hahahaha). The only issue I've noticed besides the "bell" is that assigning a manual lock screen wallpaper requires the MiFavor gallery to still be enabled. Not the end of the world, since I just don't use it otherwise.

Sorry about that ​, but it was an attempt at making the MiFavor UI better, since I am not impressed with the stock messaging app.  But you are right, we got a little carried away

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I dont mind the lock screen I just hate the notification bell, I listen to music alot and with the notification bell you have to double tap the screen or press the power button and then press the bell and then I can change songs, WAY TO MANY steps for such a simple thing.

It does depend what app you use though.  Stock music app works on the lock screen, but that;'s about it

Yeah, but that's not good, it should at least also work for Google Play Music...you have to factor in Google's defaults.

Oh I do agree with you,

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

it definitely causes plenty of issues for sure lol , I dont understand why they waste so much of the software engineers time. They could have just focused on the Clock app and the music app and then left everything stock and the software would be outstanding.

• dwbostondwboston Posts: 118 ✭✭✭✭✭

After using the phone for three days, I'm really impressed with it.  That said, there are a few software elements that absolutely need to be changed.  Not breaking any new ground here, but they are:

1. Notification bell - needs to be an option to shut it off.  Hopefully fixing this will fix lockscreen control issues.
    2. Disabling/Enabling apps needs to be fixed
    3. The "stock" Android "Do not disturb" functionality is missing - there's no reason to leave this out.  It shouldn't take multiple steps to silence the phone.
    4. Better camera processing

I think ZTE has done a fantastic job with the phone overall, but a more stock Android experience with some unique ZTE enhancements (similar to Moto's initial strategy with the Moto X) would be the best of both worlds.  There's little need to re-write or skin basic Android functionality - a better strategy would be to focus development efforts on areas that really show off the great hardware the phone has.  I'm blown away by the build quality, the screen and the overall speed of the phone - it truly is a great device that only needs a few software tweaks to make it the best device in the world.

Yeah, that notification bell seems to be a pretty unanimous flop. I haven't

seen a single positive comment about it. The best that can be said about it

is that some people are indifferent about it, but the rest hate it.

• dwbostondwboston Posts: 118 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't necessarily hate the bell, and I can sort of understand that it's a privacy measure, but it should absolutely be an option.

Funny that the Phonescoop reviewer loved the bell!

• Personally, I think the bell is there not so much for privacy but more of a showcase for wallpapers that rotate through the lockscreen every time you turn it on.

This discussion has been closed.