Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Whats your thoughts on ZTE's MiFavor ? Should ZTE replace it with a completely stock UI?

Comments

• xxbrun0xxxxbrun0xx Hartford, CTPosts: 69

They're a giant corporation, they're going to make decisions regardless of what we say. But when 133 out of 176 of your customers want your OS completely gone, the direction forward should be pretty obvious.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,597 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey ​, do you own an Axon 7, and if so, which of the reported problems are you currently experiencing?

• mantionmantion Knoxville, TNPosts: 157 ✭✭✭

Sigh ok ZTE is perfect.. 

The biggest of which is bad signal strenght wifi and band and cellular band 2 and 4.  At first i though it was pretty good in comparision to my OPO which had really bad signal strength.  Every day my coverage area around my house decreases.  Not sure whats going on.  Also the speakers were suppose to be loud, they are good but certainly not great.  The camera has a lot of noise.  When I use my Hyper X head phones I have always used to mow the law I can't hear the same audio books I could hear with my OPO.  Setting Dolby Helped alot but my OPO is still louder with my head phones.  Which is crazy because everyone says its so loud.  Maybe its the custom rom on my OPO or something wrong with my A7, but I have to use my OPO when I mow the lawn, which is 4 acres about 4 hours with all the hills and such.  The blue tooth has issues connecting to my OBD sensor.  My finger print reader is no where near accurate.  i tried setting up 2 fingers for my one index that I use all the time.  Yet it stops you and says the finger print already exists. The capacitive buttons are just to damn close together and the phone is slippery (not flaws but short comings).

I am sure the dev community can fix almost all these issues and modifications will fix others, but in the end if Axon doesn't help the developers they won't find solutions.  How is it large companies like LG and HTC use the Dev community to find fixes, then push those fixes out in updates, but a small limber company like ZTE thinks they can fix things in house.  There are a lot of other little annoyances with the phones like OTG not working, sharp edges, and what not.

I know there are a lot more issues with the phones but only got 1 hour of sleep this morning. 

The dev community fixes things before companies even recognize there is an issue.  Honestly do you really like using the rom a phone company puts out.. Sorry but large and small companies alike have done some really shady stuff with their software.  The sooner we get the stock roms off our phones the better. 

ZTE may be new to the high end smartphone market, but they are not a "small company". ZTE is a massive company. That being said, they do seem to actually listen to their customers, so there is hope.

You are right on both statements.

Honestly I don't mind using the ROMs phone companies put out. In this case, I think ZTE has a lot of room for improvement, and we'll see soon enough if they can deliver.  On the other hand, I have seen so many BAD Roms I stopped using them.  Sometimes there are plenty of good ones, but each with their own nuances and small issues.  Sometimes they are just flat out bad.  I choose not to MOD my phone unless I have to due to software being outdated, which is usually well over the first year of use. And while I have Modded phones, I don't know that much about it to help you with your issues above.  If you are using a custom ROM on your device then I would suggest going back to the person who developed it and see if there are issues. Here are what I've experienced as to your issues:

1. My Wifi signal strength is as good if not better than most phones I have compared it to.  I consistently connect at -50dBm or less to access points, and am very happy with WiFi.  LTE signal strength on the other hand is on average -5 to -5 dBm lower than other devices.  I do not notice an issue with throughput on LTE though.

2. My speakers, wired headphone jack, and bluetooth connections are the loudest I've had on any device.  I love that.

3. Camera is great with normal everyday pics, but needs work at night.  Manual mode helps this, which means I think they may be able to adjust night shots a bit in software. It still won't create miracles though.

4. I've connected bluetooth to multiple headphones, earbuds, and vehicles with no issue.

5. My fingerprint sensor is very accurate. JUST a hair slower than the OP3.  But i have no issues with multiple fingers.

6. I like the capacitive buttons that close (yes, I'm one of the few) because they are easy to use with one hand.

7. Agreed, phone is way to slippery, which is why i use the clear case.

I don't know if software can fix your issues or not, but in the case where it can, isn't that up to your developer? I'm not convinced all issues are software, though, and if they are hardware related, then whether you have a custom ROM or not won't matter

You're missing out, man. Especially on the tunable interactive governor. Elemental X kernel + ghostpepper interactive governor makes that phone FLY. And being able to back things up, have complete control over your system, tune the color of your screen (kcal), get rid of all ads, etc makes it worth learning. I'll teach you:

Adb reboot fastboot

Fastboot oem unlock

Fastboot flash recovery twrp.img (download this for your device)

Fastboot reboot recovery

In twrp --> Install --> SuperSU.zip (again, need to download this for your device)

And that's it. Really easy on a nexus. If the Axon 7 was as easy and had factory images for developers to fall back on when they inevitably brick, we'd be in business.

I'm with you on this. I really don't get it either. I resell my devices after having them awhile and I think most people would prefer a stock device w/ few accessories to go with it. I never have any problem selling my devices when I'm ready.

Agreed.  I don't need to fine tune it to death.  I understand there are people out there that will argue this to death.  Power to the people. There are also people that won't even bother to go into the settings to change anything.  It just works out of the box.  Then there's the 80% in between.  I'm in between.

Brian West and hollap I agree with both of you.

Nice

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree im more in between as well I would say, I love tuning the device to my needs but dont wanna have to root and deal with all that, thats why I stopped using Galaxy devices because I was sick of having to always root and flash the phone and then deal with update manually and everything. Id much rather a more stock experience and not having to deal with all that on every phone and tablet I have

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you everyone who has voted on this thread, ZTE is definitely noticing the attention of the results to this

• Stock Android is very safe, as many people like it and there aren't many who dislike it. Some people wou prefer other skins, but they are split between many styles and approaches as it starts to become a matter of personal taste and preference.

Stock Android has the potential of running much more smoothly and it can be updated much quicker than costumized UI. If someone wants to change things around they can always install a 3rd party launcher, but I think the system UI has to be vanilla. Look at how quickly Motorola is able to release updates. That's Thanks to their sticking with Vanilla pure UI.

This discussion has been closed.