Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Do you use a Lock Screen?

mantionmantion Knoxville, TNPosts: 157 ✭✭✭
<body><p>I never use a lock screen.  I like to press the power button and be in my phone.  I also like it when I double tap a phone to get in or use ok google.  Ok that said I also never use folders, use a 12x12 grid on my one and only home screen, have 3/4 th of the screen covered by widgets or my all black back ground.   I squeeze all 30 or so apps that I regularly use into about 15 icons in the middle row where my thumb is most comfortable. I also hate think lite metal phones and glass screens.  I also don't use facebook, average 1 phone call a week, never answer the phone and never check my voice mail.  Do most everything with "ok google" including 80% of my text messages. </p><p></p><p>In the end I am NOT your average Android user, lets be honest I have little or nothing in common with anyone on the planet.  </p><p></p><p>That said I hate lock and the main reason I root a phone is to avoid the lock screen.  </p><p></p><p>Does everyone else use some sort of lock? And yes bio metrics like voice, finger or face recognition is a lock.  </p><p></p><p>Please ignore work reason, I am sure many people have work phones and of course you should lock them or you should lock work partitions.  I am only talking about personal usage.  </p></body>

Do you use a Lock Screen? 117 votes

I mostly use a fingerprint reader
84% 99 votes
I mostly use a Pin
2% 3 votes
I mostly use a Pattern
5% 6 votes
I mostly use voice
0% 0 votes
I mostly use face recognition
0% 0 votes
I mostly use some other form of Lock
1% 2 votes
I hate lock screens and avoid them at all cost.
5% 7 votes

Comments

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Company forces me to use a lock screen.  I used a PIN before I got the A7, now I use the FPS.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I always use Lock Screen with Pattern + Fingerprint ....never been a fan of not having a lock screen.

• beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate lockscreens on non FPS phones, but may try it on the Axon 7 - if it gets updated to where you can turn if off without having to do a factory reset. I've heard there are currently are a number of issues when using a lockscreen on it, so I'll wait to try.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use the FP scanner.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

Depends on my device to be honest. I have 2 phones, neither are work related, one I keep locked the other is unlocked, and use double tap for ease. I also leave my laptop, and tablet unlocked. If I am bringing a device with me, it never leaves my possession. I have 2 teenage daughters, they have their own devices, but I have nothing to hide or reason to lock them out, and my devices are out for use if needed The one phone that is locked is only because I love the ease of the fingerprint scanner. I think lock screens do have a very important purpose in today's technology, and I do not take that lightly. I personally just do not do anything on any of my mobile device that I feel I need to lock down, and I am  confident in my day to day handling of my devices when out and about It really comes down to personal preference, and what you need. Some people want, and need major security protocols in place, that would frustrate me...

• Exactly,  . I always like to think it'll give you the time to pull up Android device manager or track it by GPS or send a factory reset before someone cracks it.  Way to much of my life flows through my phone to leave it open to attack.

​ I hear you, and do agree mostly.  If I was doing those things from my phone, then yes I would feel the need to lock it down. I don't bank, or login to my bank or any financial site from my mobile devices. I am not saying I am not careful, I just do not have anything on my device that concerns me right now. I should also note, I am out in the middle of no where. When I go into town 95% of the people I see are the same people that I saw yesterday, and the day before. It sounds kind of silly but I'm not in a real populated area, here everybody knows everyone, and mostly grew up together. Keeping my device on me, is usually all that is needed. That is not to say people aren't crooked, as I do know there is a bad seed in every bunch....

​ I so could not shop from my phone, that would drive me crazy. Amazon mobile shopping has got to be the worst experience ever, lol just saying

​ and Agreed.  Shopping from my phone is a no go unless it's an absolute must. It's like trying to pull a boat with a Toyota Prius. I use my Chromebook for most purchases.

I just prefer seeing things on a bigger screen. Reading reviews, seeing the product, just much easier on a bigger screen.  But I will admit, my wife spends most of the many anyway LOL

​ I prefer to shop on my laptop, as it is easiest for me, although I have to say that shopping on the SPro2 is very nice also

• zeedezeede Posts: 182 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a lock screen with a password, but it's set to auto-bypass when my Moto 360 is paired with it.

When I get my Axon 7 (only 10 more days!) I will probably use the fingerprint reader and NOT add my Moto 360 as a trusted device.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,253 mod

I enjoy shopping on my smartphone especially with Amazon shopping and eBay apps.  It's just very convenient. 

• leapsevenleapseven Posts: 85 ✭✭✭✭

I used to use no lock screen as I found them too cumbersome and slow. But now that I have a phone with a fingerprint scanner I use it. I find the minor inconvenience worth it for the security.

LOL, I forgot the the identity crisis thing...thanks again for that new TV

agreed

I forgot about your identity crisis issue already.

Probably cuz it didn't happen to us. Very serious business though!!

This discussion has been closed.