Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Do you use a Lock Screen?

Comments

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

LOL

• mantionmantion Knoxville, TNPosts: 157 ✭✭✭

I see the advantage of a lock screen, or at least locking a phone.

I wish android gave the use a simple option to leave it unlocked and engage a lock when wanted

I know that you can use smart lock and other tricks to keep it from locking completely but I just like double tapping the screen or clicking a button to get to my one and only home page with all my widgets and programs ready to go.

If it were up to me I would have the phone require a unlock when the phone first boots into system.  Then it would stay unlocked until I did something special.  It could be a notification button, it could be a gesture like a tripple or quad tap.  Could be a voice command like "lock"  or anything.

OR The ability to easily toggle between a secure mode when you are out and about and a less secure mode when you are in the office or in the car or sitting on the couch with the dog.

I do like the finger print on the back, but it makes it harder to unlock and when its sitting flat on the table or in a car mount.

Again if you have a work phone with a work policy follow it.  Its their network and information you are responsible for.

Well ZTE had a poll on mass spectrometers so we could unlock our phones just by breathing on them.

Although a simple solution would bet put the finger print reader on the side.  A company did it, it doesn't work well, but I am sure it could be improved.  Especially if they stop making such skinny phones. 

• npaladin2000npaladin2000 Wappingers Falls, NYPosts: 376

Been using fingerprint readers since the Motorola Atrix. Which I liked except for the 8 hour battery life. I prefer patterns after that, though for a while my company tried to enforce PINs.

I have been known to make use of SmartLock, particularly at home and in my car, but everywhere else I want it secured.

Seen it.  Not as impressive as the A7.  The Z9 looked better than the Z11 in my opinion.  I wonder what they will be annoucing tomorrow:

Screenshot_2016-08-31-12-17-53.jpg

• celticchryscelticchrys Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

Absolutely. I've even had a friend whose co-workers were caught picking up his phone if he left it on his desk at work, to snoop through it. Not a company phone. His personal phone. Taught him to use a lockscreen.

• celticchryscelticchrys Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

Quite true, but you can't teach the entire world a lesson.

• zeedezeede Posts: 182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    celticchrys wrote:Absolutely. I've even had a friend whose co-workers were caught picking up his phone if he left it on his desk at work, to snoop through it. Not a company phone. His personal phone. Taught him to use a lockscreen.

What's wrong with people these days?

• I was trying to disable the lock screen, but it doesn't give me that option.

Am I dong something wrong or are you just not able to disable it?

• Thanks, well that, umm.. is what ^ said.

• birkbinnardbirkbinnard United StatesPosts: 118 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never used a lock screen with my previous phone (Nexus 5.) Even though I am careful with keeping the phone on or near my person I did have some concerns about losing it or having it stolen. But now I have set up a lock screen passcode and the FP scanner. I normally use the FP scanner to open the phone, but I am happy to know that if the phone gets lost or stolen the lock screen will keep my contents safe. 

Kudos for ZTe for providing this well though tout feature.

Thanks for the info.  I wasn't understanding.  Unfortunately my company forces lock so i have no choice but to keep it on there.

• dr.mdr.m AustinPosts: 160 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you ever want to recover your $400+ investment, should you lose it or it is stolen, best to not only have  lock screen, but have your ID and contact info on that lock screen.  I maintain four phones in my little family, and I set the lock screen in all of them -- which consists of a picture ID, address, and phone number to call if found.  I also install some phone tracking apps like Android Device Manager and Real Time Tracking 2. 

Just FYI for the wise, if you hand your phone to a friend, acquaintance, or stranger, and they refuse to return it, that is NOT a theft, it may be a civil conversion, but you might have to file a civil suit in court to recover it, which may take months to resolve.  Even if you can strong-arm recovery, the person you just strong-armed could call the police on you, and if so, you need something very obvious to show the item recovered irrefutably belongs to you.

• dr.mdr.m AustinPosts: 160 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't expect anyone with your negativity to do anything but live in your tiny world and anoint yourself. 

But for others, it was a warning of why you should NOT hand your cellphone over to just anyone who asked to use it.  There is no implication that I tend to that, just some knowledge about the legal complexity that can occur in trying to get loaned property returned -- that also applies to cellphones -- an item very likely to be loaned.

This discussion has been closed.