Who's hoping the ZTE Zmax Pro will get the new Android 7.0 Nougat update?

I know the update is fairly new but I was reading many ZTE users say their phones never got updated so I'm hoping they listen and we get updated with this!

Who's hoping the ZTE Zmax Pro will get the new Android 7.0 Nougat update? 278 votes

Yes!
92% 258 votes
No :(
7% 20 votes

Comments

• runtohell121runtohell121 United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It will take a while... Don't forget, it is a carrier branded phone, which means that the carrier must approve the update before it is released to the customers. And I think the Zmax Pro is running some sort of MiFavor, similar to the Axon 7.

• barbosasbarbosas Orlando, FLPosts: 153

Would of been nice if they would of went that route with the A7

• sagudfoodsagudfood Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

So does that mean the update would come from ZTE ota or MetroPCS network? In other words, would someone have to be on MetroPCS to receive the update? Or would people on ATT also receive the update?

• barbosasbarbosas Orlando, FLPosts: 153

You might have to manually install it through a computer when it becomes available not sure if you would lose your unlock

• runtohell121runtohell121 United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

To my understanding, if the phone is branded to a specific carrier (in this case, MetroPCS), the update will come from MetroPCS via update in the settings. It might require a MetroPCS SIM card in order to update the phone, like with some AT&T phones in the past as far as I can remember; for example, Galaxy S3 AT&T variant: Even though the phone is unlocked and works on a other GSM carriers, when it comes to software update, it must have an AT&T SIM card insert in order for the phone to receive the update. Otherwise, checking for update won't show anything.

I'm not too sure about the Zmax Pro from MetroPCS as I do not own the phone and I am not 100% sure on how the update comes out from ZTE/MetroPCS, but with most carrier branded phones, it's usually needs to be approved from the carrier before the update is pushed out via Settings in the phone and might require the carrier SIM.

• I'm pretty sure it's up to the carrier if they want to update it or not after the manufacturer distributes the update.  I know when I had the Galaxy S5 on MetroPCS, even though all the other carriers were updating it to Lollipop, MetroPCS did not.  I even called Metro many times to ask and they told me that it was up to them when it got released and it didn't look like it was going to happen soon.  That being said, this phone is only a MetroPCS phone, and if Metro doesn't want to do the update, then I'm pretty sure the manufacturer isn't going to waste their time setting up an update to never have it sent out.  They will most likely work with Metro and decide if they want to go ahead and do the update or not.  It would be nice to see it, but at the same time, I'm not going to hold that as a reason to not like the phone.  I love this phone, I've had it for a few weeks now, and just can't seem to get over how they can give such a phone at this price.  It's just something that goes with saying, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.  It's nice to get an update, but it works great with what it has so why make a big stink about it?

• When I spoke to ZTEUSA 8/15/16 they said that the ZTE ZMP will in fact get a update to Nougat 7.xx. What Metro does with it after ZTE codes it I have no idea, but I highly value OS updates in a timely manner.  Rumored 3 months is plenty of time to wait after a new Android release IMO.

• dkhn1025dkhn1025 United StatesPosts: 4

Does anyone know when the ZTE will get the new android 7.0

• Could be worse..You could have a zmax 2 and still running lollipop 5.1 like I do..And its running stock android,the don't bother to update their OS..

• If it doesn't, and soon, I may replace the LiPo in my Nexus 6 and go back to it.  Like the Zmax Pro, but miss the NFC and 5ghz Wifi...and Nougat most of all !

• My LG G2 still got the Marshmallow update from T-Mobile, even though it wasn't on their network - ANY network actually.  Received it via WiFi.  So once you hear the update is available, try taking out the SIM, jumping on WiFi, and checking the System Update status in settings.

• It WAS a carrier sold phone (T-Mo), paid off, but never carrier unlocked.  If there was a SIM in it, it was an inactive T-Mobile or MetroPCS SIM.  You may be right though, not sure.

• It would have to be a manufacturer update for Nougat.

It could be a carrier update for a build update.

• asianrockerasianrocker ILPosts: 243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just spoke to a  live agent today. The update will be through metropcs. When I googled though i have seen these websites saying you can update this phone now. One is a nougat launcher apk. And one is 2 rom packages to be installed via SD card.

Anyone know if this is legit? I am guessing not since ZTE officially told me there are still no updates yet.

Both of these I found online needs no rooting but I am very skeptical. I love this phone so much I don't want to mess with it.

I loooove this phone. I really hope we get the Android N update ASAP!!

• I work for a MetroPCS dealer.  There will definitely be an update soon, however, IDK if it will just be a bug fix, or Android N.  Pretty sure it's coming eventually, especially once our exclusive period is over and TMo starts selling it. 

• I'm only speculating on that part, but I don't see why they wouldn't sell it eventually.

• I thought that was pretty clear, but yes, just speculation.  It would only make sense that someone else will be carrying it after the "exclusive" period was over, and TMo and Metro are the same company.

• I do not mind update if they do not break or change to many things, such as adoptable storage if they were to take it away then I will stay with Marshmallow.

• Split screen would make an already great bang for your buck phone even better.

I've also been told by a rep via Twitter that it's coming but the waiting sucks. I'm beginning to wonder if it'll actually happens. Do ZTE phones on MetroPCS have a history of updates?