Bits And Bytes (week of 9/4)

petershihpetershih ZTE FanaticUnited StatesPosts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>Welcome to our first weekly <a _jive_internal="true" href="https://community.zteusa.com/message/50320">Bits And Bytes</a> poll on Z-Community! Here's our debate of the week...</p><p></p><p><strong>Question</strong>: would you use a smartphone feature that allows you to take a picture without the trouble of turning on the screen, launching the camera, and tapping the capture icon?</p><p></p><p><strong>Context</strong>: amazing moments come and go, sometimes in a matter of seconds. Capturing these precious moments with your phone can sometimes be difficult, having to navigate through multiple tasks just to take the shot. But what if you were able to take the shot by simply pressing a button on your phone, without having to turn on the screen?</p><p></p><p><strong>Action</strong>: 1. Select one of the options below and 2. reply to justify your reasoning. Although there is no correct answer, please provide sound reasoning to support your selection. Your Mod Squad will be perusing this topic approximately one week after launch to identify and reward those with the most thoughtful responses!</p></body>

Bits And Bytes (week of 9/4) 86 votes

Yes - I would definitely use this feature often
45% 39 votes
Yes - I would likely use this feature occasionally
33% 29 votes
No - I would likely not use this feature
20% 18 votes

Comments

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I would use it occasionally. At the time of the context, I'm not 100% sure exactly what the feature really is, assuming you guys are talking about a gesture/quick action/certain button to launch the camera and taking a snapshot instantly, like found on certain phones.

It is definitely nice to have a quick launch action to get to the camera and to have it snap a photo right away before the screen might show the image, but from what I've seen on other phones, it is a hit or miss feature. It would be great if the action actually took a burst photo instead of just a single shot, maybe that feature might be worth considering.

I guess another action would be just to have camera launch as fast as possible via shortcut buttons when the screen is off and the camera also to focus on the object quickly, then let the user hit the snap button, something similar to the Galaxy phones (double press home button) or like the Sony Xperia series, with a hardware shutter button. Just have the phone launch the camera quickly and have it ready for the user to instantly hit the snap button.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sign me up!  I'm ready to test that!

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I could definitely see myself possibly using this feature. As a parent, many moments occur very quickly where time is of the essence when it comes to trying to capture it with your camera. The only concerns I can see would be how easily or would be to accidentally capture pictures of your pocket or something else. Also, the camera would need to be top notch with focus and speed since you are wanting to capture a picture of a moment that is most likely influx and likely in motion.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The best camera you have is the camera you have with you. The best picture you take is the picture you can take before the moment is gone.  I would definitely use this feature.  Not always, but I would use it when it's needed.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This feature is something that I will definitely use!!! ..... My only concern would be to ensure that the photo is focused correctly.

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

This feature would come in handy I am always taking photos and always have to turn on the screen to snap a picture. This would save me time instantly by just doing a simple gesture to take a picture/open the camera application. I am intrigued to know more about this feature.

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

Yeah, ​ a regular Plato!

• auroraaurora Weston, MAPosts: 4 ✭✭

As a soccer mom this would be so useful! Several people mentioned about focus, which is also my biggest concern. Since the most common use case is an action shot, here are a few ideas: 1. enable multi-focus points for these types of photos, 2. enable a quick burst of 10+ images to be taken in rapid succession and allowing users to select the best one(s), and 3. enable quick burst AND switching up the focus areas to help ensure that the primary subject is in focus.

Aside from focus, the other point of consideration is how to capture the photo. Perhaps it's pressing down on the volume button(s) or pressing it twice or long-pressing, etc. Whatever the method, it must support the user being able to hold their phones steady while taking the shot, otherwise it won't help with the focus!

• essixessix Bay Area CAPosts: 43 ✭✭

How the heck would that work? If you are not using the screen, you do not know where the center of the frame is, if it's focused, etc. There is a reason why every camera has a screen or view finder. Without those, the image is going to be terrible. Dont put time into a gimmick like this, spend it on enhancing auto mode, quicker focusing times, better stabilization, etc.

• vagavaga USAPosts: 347 ✭✭✭

As long as it doesn't accidentally activate in my pocket and it take less than 2 seconds to jump into camera, it should be something I use on a daily basis

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand how this can work if you can't see what you are taking a picture of. I feel like I'm missing something?

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

How do you know if your photos are centered and in focus?

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be a useful feature to have on any devices. I am huge fan of dedicated camera button, but that has become a more of a rare thing. Most of the manufacturer expects users to use swipe right on lockscreen to launch camera or even press some combo buttons to launch camera, which is good, but not quick enough to capture good moments. This feature I definitely see its usefulness, but i wonder the quality of the pic without manual focus. Let's be honest, auto focus is good in most cases, but there are times, you just want to focus manually at things/objects, which auto focus misses entirely. The only way, I see this feature more useful and accurate, if the camera app has AI, which learns from the user, and adapts accordingly. For instance, location based learning and such.  I see the positive side and also see the negative side. I am definitely want to see the feature implemented.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is something every parent has wished for. I want it.

• Yes, and grandparents wish for this too! :-) Pictures are worth a thousand words but sometimes you have only one second to point and click with little ones. 

I agree.  It's not made for every picture you're going to take.  It's made for that moment when you want to catch something rare.  Maybe it will focus and maybe it won't, but it's worth a shot when you know pushing 6 buttons will take too long before the moment is gone.

I also think with some practice, you would get to learn some basic centering and focus skills. 

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would love this feature, not even just for the pictures your trying to capture quickly. Its sounds like the closes replacement for the dedicated camera button which as many may remember was one of my favorite features of the Axon Pro

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,362 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

if it is a nice feature if it is done correctly. Though, I think without turning on the screen, it's hard to really see if the image taken comes out to be in focus. The worse thing you want is having blurry, or bad shots.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yup... It's a reason why I suggest the camera should take a burst series of photos with the quick launch action and then right after it, be able to take photos after the burst shots with the screen on near instant (hoping that the feature won't require the phone to "buffer", as with some phones with burst, there's a little delay in saving files...).

I guess the feature I suggest is that:

1) Phone launch with a shortcut button or gesture and immediately snaps a "few" photos (3 to 10 photos) without screen actually on yet

2) Phone will quickly save the photos and won't show a "processing" or "buffering" message

3) Phone should be ready for the user to hit the snapshot button when the screen turns on, along with have the focus already adjusted, so the user won't miss another opportunity of the moment, as long as there is little to no shutter lag.

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would use this feature occasionally to frequently even though that was not a selection.

Often times I am trying to get a candid shot of my son or wife and the time it takes to unlock and compose with the screen often means you miss those shots due to recognition by the subject of the impending picture taking.

Also, life with kids happens fast and that time often means missing the moment something is happening.

Now... based on that you would need to incorporate a number of features to make this feature more viable.

1. The feature would need to have burst shots since you are not using a viewfinder to "compose" the shot.

2. The camera would need a fast lens and great software to catch the action clearly

3. Potentially a laser (like a red dot on a sight) to help the shooter ID the subject

4. The ability to capture in RAW so you could do some post capture processing

I think it's a viable feature on a phone but if it's not implemented in a way that the user can be confident in the results... waste of time.

I agree with most that a burst mode would need to be available for this. RAW mode would be nice as then you would be able to do some editing after the fact.

Whether or not the A7 can do this, along with the processing and shutter speed needed, is yet to be seen.

• mtwaldmanmtwaldman Walled Lake Michigan. Posts: 25

This is a BAD idea opening up ways for people to take pics without other people knowing.    Perverts and creepy people will abuse this.  Considering a pedophile was caught and arrested at my sons camp last summer for taking pictures and other sick stuff, this would just make it easier for people to abuse. 

DO NOT DO THIS

BAD IDEA

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

​ the screen coming on or not does not change the fact that you would need to point the device at someone and press a shutter release of some sort. Either the FP scanner or the volume up/down button. As it stands today, people can do this without much difficulty even with the screen on. I'm not trying to minimize your concern as I have caught a person taking pictures of my wife once on a plane with a cell phone, I'm just suggesting that there are other giveaways that have nothing to do with the screen.

• mtwaldmanmtwaldman Walled Lake Michigan. Posts: 25

I would rather make it harder than easier for people to abuse.