Bits And Bytes (week of 9/11)

2»

Comments

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A7 is my second device with a fingerprint scanner. My first is the Galaxy Tab S. Back fingerprint scanners have an edge over front scanners if they have additional features like scrolling web pages, pulling down your notifications, or taking one-handed photos. Things which makes my thumb appreciative for the rest. Especially if the phone is more than 5.5inches.

Front fingerprint scanners can continue living in tablets. But I do see their usefulness if your driving and you just want to place a thumb on the device to unlock it.

• Fingerprint scanner is back of phone is comfortable and looks awesome or easy to use, selfie photo click the fingerprint scanner is great so fingerprint scanner is back of phone

• I like the fingerprint scanner on the back more convenient

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazed I didn't see this earlier...

Anyway, FP reader on the back is the better option I feel for a number of reasons, but the first is that when you pull a phone out of your pocket, you usually pull it out from the top.

Same goes for most phones that people use since screen orientation is not static - aka people usually put their phones in their pockets a specific way so that its easier to pull out and get to the screen quicker, which is why fingerprint sensors are near the top of devices, not the center or bottom. This enables the user to basically have the phone unlocked before they even face the screen if they know what their doing.

By using a fingerprint scanner on the front, yes, you now have the option of turning the phone on when it is flat on the table. However aside from specific use cases, the majority of the time I don't see people turning the phone on to leave it on the table, they pick it up. Why? Because operating the phone with your hand is much easier than leaving it on the table to use it. The case some make for just seeing notifications is also moot since you can just press the power button.

Lastly by having the FP sensor on the front(usually the home button), you create an unequal user experience across products with differing screen sizes. Lets take a hypothetical 4.5" smartphone and put a fingerprint sensor on the front(or for those who've tried the iPhone SE - think of that). Not so bad right? Now do the same thing with a phone identical in everything to the first, but this time it is now a 5.5" device. Depending on the heft of the phone, you might drop it, feel uncomfortable tilting your phone towards the sensor to reach it, and overall it makes for an inconsistent experience between people who have the smaller and the bigger device. Ergonomics isn't always good, but in this case I think it is.

• good morning everyone, I have a question, I want to know if connect ZTE ZMAX PRO is possible with Samsung Gear S2 ... thanks for your help.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it will connect (or should connect) to the ZTE MAx Pro since it has 2 gb RAM and is running Android 6.0 out of the box. Just install the Gear S2 app on your phone if your having problems.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion scanners on the front aren't as reliable. Especially on larger devices it's awkward to get your finger down there and scan it. Sure it allows you to unlock while it's lying on a desk, but I prefer double tap to wake with PIN input then.

I much prefer using the scanner on the back. It's more ergonomic and quicker. Also you can add on functions such as gestures, or even a button like the Honor 8 for custom functions. It becomes more functional and offers more opportunities on the back.

• On the front is much more convenient:

- Lying on the table makes scanners on the back useless

- Two-handed use does not benefit from back-placed scanners

- You need to touch the front anyway so why not placing the scanner there as well? Just makes sense