Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Is being able to print directly from your mobile phone important to you?

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited StatesPosts: 3,986 admin
<body><p><span style="font-size: 14.666666666666666px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal;">Printing through a WiFi connection using a mobile phone is becoming more mainstream in our daily lives. Have you ever used the print function on a mobile phone? How often do you use it? What usage scenarios of the print functionality have you had experience with on your mobile phone? Within this discussion, we would like to learn the experiences you have had with the print function on mobile phones.
</span></p><p></p><p><span style="font-size: 14.666666666666666px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal;">Please comment below on the above questions as well as voting in the poll.</span></p></body>

Is being able to print directly from your mobile phone important to you? 91 votes

Very Useful & Convenient
80% 73 votes
Just A Gimmick
6% 6 votes
Not Interested
8% 8 votes
I Don’t Know
4% 4 votes

Comments

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,247 mod

I have used this function on occasion in the past. I've created or edited a document or taken a photo and then directly printed it with my WiFi printer. It is very convenient although I haven't used it enough  for this feature to be essential to my smartphone.

• royalomegaroyalomega North FloridaPosts: 38 ✭✭✭✭

I do it quite regularly as I sometimes have to print things while my laptop is not near. I find it very convenient and like the fact that I can do this anytime I need. It does come in handy for printing a picture for some so they have a copy and not take my original. I know I could email them but older people do not always like or use technology.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,614 mod

I am always looking for worksheets, and such to printout for kids. Sometimes it is easier sitting on the couch to surf on my phone, and definitely prefer the phone to have the features built in. I currently have an app for my wireless printer, but it is very limited as to what, and how I can print. I want full printing, on my terms.

• Printing from my phone  or tablet has been very convenient for me.  Sometimes even easier then getting my windows laptop to work with my printer.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Google Cloud Print on daily basis. In the past I have use hp print service and Samsung print service, but they were WIP. I don't know their development status after all these years, it could be better or worse who knows. GCP made my life whole lot easier.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I never used my phone for printing out emails or documents. I just prefer doing printing on my computer more; personal preference. I know it's convenient and all, but I just prefer seeing it on a bigger screen before printing out any documents, unless I know the document I'm printing is already proofread/correct and no need to go through and edit anything.

The only time I consider I use printing over WiFi is with my Fujifilm Instax SP-1, a fun little photo printer and that is with WiFi and with their own app.

• Very useful indeed! My wife uses a chromebook and has to upload any documents she wants to print to Google Drive. Then she prints them directly from her GS7. All because our WiFi printer is not cloud compatible and I am too lazy to set up the required dedicated host on my Raspberry Pi (Don't tell her please).

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I could choose an option somewhere between very useful and just a gimmick. The truth is that for me it is a feature that could come in handy in a pinch if I had no better way to print, but that I would not use frequently or possibly at all.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have never been in a situation where I would need to print something from my phone. But I reckon when the time will come I wouldn't want my phone to let me down.

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

I like the convenientness to be able to print documents and pictures. I have an app with my HP printer to print anything I need by just opening the application.  I loved it since day one no need to connect with plugs or cords.

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very useful. Sometimes while I travel home or too work and I know I need something I'll actually putting it out on the way so it's ready when I get there.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a rabid Google Drive user. I print stuff off there ALL THE TIME using my phone. The ability to do so is a must-have feature for me.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Print from my phone occasionally to my wifi printer, and my kids do it all the time for homework, concert tickets, ballgames, school forms, etc.  We are old fashioned to so for birthdays, etc. we print homemade greeting cards. SO I would say important, but not a necessity.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

In the many years of using smartphones I can honestly say I have printed only 1 time from my phone and that was when Google Cloud print was first introduced and I wanted to try it out lol I personally have never had a need to print anything out from my phone

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,577 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have never printed from my phone. I do think it would be a useful convenience that I would use. I am using my wireless device for more things all the time. Why not print from it.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,165 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

it's useful and convinient. While I don't use it much since I have a network printer setup and I prefer to look over the file I want to print on my pc before I print it, I think it's a cool feature to have.

• jabird101jabird101 Cleveland, OH, USAPosts: 225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Printing from devices was one of the reasons I went with the printer that we currently have.  I get docs that I need to sign all the time via email  I can print, sign take a picture and reply.  Perhaps one day people will catch on that DocuSign is as secure as anything else on the internet and easy to use. 

• allanyallany United StatesPosts: 1

Hi Royalomega, do you mostly your phone to print at home, office or on the road?

Hi Ironbaybeedool, it sounds like you install a specific printer service plugin for you printer then? What is the limitation that you see from your experience?

Hi runtohell121, can you elaborate on your use case around photo printing? how often do u need to print photo on the go with Instax? Do you carry your Instax with you all the time?

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,614 mod

Hello Allan, It doesn't allow for customization. It is a one size fits all scenario. It prints full page docs, which is fine, photos are another story. 4x6 or full page. That is it. Very disappointing considering it is a wireless printer,. If a company is going to create an app to go with there product, they need it to  highlight and ad to, not dumb it down.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,247 mod

Hey Guys!!!  Head on over to the Beta Lab and fill out a brief survey for a chance to become a Beta tester!! The new Beta Project is code named "Mercury" and should be out of this world!!! 

"We are currently recruiting for ZTE Smartphone Beta Project "Mercury".  There are a limited number of spots to fill so please answer the questions honestly.  The Qualification Survey is located here: Beta Application Survey​ "

• lee18lee18 United StatesPosts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I rarely ever print anything from my mobile device but it's a nice feature to have when you need it.

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 187 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use this feature often on my devices

• npaladin2000npaladin2000 Wappingers Falls, NYPosts: 376

I print from my phone all the time, I hardly ever use my PC anymore. When I just need to print something off quickly it's extremely useful to be able to send it from my phone to my printer, whether it's from email, a webpage, or Google Drive.

• For me most desirable use would be to print coupons... this almost daily.

Secondary would be sometime things like boarding passes, confirmations, resume, directions /maps.

With print to pdf, etc. options as well.

• doneonlydoneonly VirginiaPosts: 47 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally wouldn't be interested. A couple of years ago it would have made a lot of things easier. In all, I just feel like it is one of those features if most people didn't have it they wouldn't even bother thinking about it until the 1 or 2 times you need it, however it doesn't hurt to have it.

• eriktherederikthered Cincinnati, OHPosts: 7 ✭✭✭

It's certainly convenient but I don't really see it as an essential feature.

This discussion has been closed.