Bits And Bytes (week of 10/2)

petershihpetershih ZTE FanaticUnited StatesPosts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>Welcome to our weekly <a _jive_internal="true" href="https://community.zteusa.com/message/50320">Bits And Bytes</a> poll and discussion! Give your honest opinion, debate ferociously, and respect each other at all times...</p><p></p><p><strong>Question</strong>: In terms of battery life, how much is good enough while taking into account the tradeoff with overall thickness and weight?</p><p></p><p><strong>Context</strong>: Nearly everyone worries about battery life. And for some reason, OEMs have a maniac focus on phones being thin and light, sometimes even sacrificing the overall safety of the device (too soon?). But until battery technology matures, which we believe will be in several years, we will continue to make tradeoffs between battery life and phone size. So what's the right balance for you?</p><p></p><p><strong>Action</strong>: 1. Select one of the options below and 2. reply to justify your reasoning. Although there is no correct answer, please provide sound reasoning to support your selection. After a week or so, your Mod Squad will soon identify and reward those with the most thoughtful responses!</p></body>

Bits And Bytes (week of 10/2) 61 votes

One day of moderate-to-intense usage (I don't mind carrying a portable battery charger)
24% 15 votes
One day of very intense usage (phone being ~30% thicker & heavier)
75% 46 votes

Comments

• sigmarsigmar CT, USAPosts: 43 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted for having a bigger battery (but it is only a slight preference). I don't mind the extra weight or thickness at all. Phones have gotten very thin in my opinion and a thicker body makes it easier to grip and less likely to be dropped.

On the other hand- I use my phone pretty heavily throughout the day (music, facebook, video calls) and frequently do a little mid day charging (with a portable battery pack or laptop). Luckily, with faster charging these days it does not take long to refill. Because I'm used to having a cable around, charging isn't a big problem and a new phone with a small battery wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I choose moderate to intense usage is enough for me, as I normally do have easy access to portable chargers, car chargers, etc. around me. I would want a phone that have a balance of decent (moderate) battery life and somewhat thin (no thicker than 8.5mm) while being comfortable to hold also, and not too heavy. Some phones are just too heavy and make it difficult to hold/use for a longer period of time and that is one of my concern about having a thicker and bigger battery phone. I know it is a good tradeoff for some, but not everyone would want a thicker and heavier phone, and just keeping a phone design to moderate battery life should be good for the average consumers, as long as it has some sort of quick charging, decent battery life, and a good design that is comfortable to hold.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I voted for a larger battery. Oneplus and Samsung have both made their phones slightly thicker, instead of thinner in recent models in order to fit a larger battery. I applaud them for this and I want to see this become a trend. We are using QHD screens here in flagships these days, and those require a lot of power.

Don't get me wrong I love QHD screens, but I have a Huawei Mate 8 which can literally get two days worth of usage. Thanks to only having a 1080p screen and a huge 4000mAh battery. Most QHD phones don't even have a 4000mAh battery in them. If they did it would be plenty of power, I'd love to see this.

It doesn't matter to me how great a phone might be if it's not going to last me the day. If I'm afraid to use it because the battery is going to die, then it's not really worth anything. I also don't want to be required to carry a power bank, or constantly look for places to charge throughout the day. I have power banks as a back up or an emergency, not just to make it through the day.

I would also rather see a thicker phone with a larger battery than a bunch of task killing software. That ends up breaking notifications or other functions on the phone. All because you wanted to make an anorexic phone lacking a large enough battery.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in a day, I use to carry spare batteries and for days i didn't bother charging phone at all, just swap and good to go. It seems those days are gone as most of the manufacturers don't allow access to the batteries expect LG. Since modular phones are the future, I am looking forward to swapping batteries again. Anyways, I selected One day for moderate to intense use. I don't mind charging phones at the end of the day.

I always wonder how Motorola achieve TWO DAY BATTERY with their phones. For instance, Moto X Force, Moto Z Play, Motorola Droid Turbo 2, Motorola Maxx 2 and many more. Motorola claims their phones can go up to two days with one full charge and I have seen many reviews where they managed to squeeze a little over 2 days. I am surprised that how come other manufacturers fails to achieve the same.

Everyone please read this article http://www.wired.co.uk/article/storedot-molecules-will-change-technology

This "storedot" company has managed to charge a battery from 0 to 100 within a minute and here is the first prototype video (link below), which blew millions of minds and these people can't wait to have this battery implemented in phones, cars, etc.

How to charge your cell phone battery in less than a minute - Jan. 7, 2016

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,257 mod

I voted moderate to intense usage but I have to admit I am torn here.....I want the best of both worlds, great all day battery with a slim form factor. Whether at home, work, or traveling I always have access to a charger and usually  top  off the battery once in the middle of the day and then while I'm sleeping. A larger battery would be welcome, I wouldn't mind a slightly larger design with a little more heft however its all in the design and build to really pull this off. I don't want a brick in my pocket either 

• jfhindyjfhindy United StatesPosts: 8

I also voted for a slightly thicker phone to fit a larger battery. I think there is definitely a market for thin and beautiful in the mainstream so I can understand why this isn't a more readily available option. However, at this point, we're talking millimeters here. Most wouldn't even notice a phone that's a couple of millimeters thicker than the flagships (and budget flagships) are today. They WILL notice getting an extra few hours out of a charge thanks to the better battery.

However, it's not just about battery, but the other tech as well. I went with an Axon 7 because of its AMOLED display which had more battery saving options than LCD and, in my personal experience, uses less power overall. I can easily get 5-6+ hours of screen on time with my Axon 7 (and I can provide screenshots to prove it). My V10, which had a similar sized screen (LCD and not AMOLED) and a slightly smaller battery could only ever muster 4.5. Add to that things like a good radio (less wasted battery during connection issues), a good, power saving CPU (which Qualcomm seems to be doing better with on the 820),etc, and you could have a power house that lasts all day as long as it has a big enough battery (and people know how to turn off apps they're not using so they don't spend all day syncing lol).

I don't believe a slightly thicker phone would affect usability or even sleekness enough to not be overshadowed entirely by the prospect of "all day battery with intense use".

If the Axon 7 were a couple of millimeters thicker and had a 4000mah+ battery, I could potentially squeeze 7 or 8 hours of screen on time and would've entered legendary status among the tech nerds. And let's face it, our families buy what we tell them to buy if we want them too =)

As it stands, the Axon 7 borders only the Galaxy Note 4 as the best battery life I've ever had out of a phone. So this phone does do extremely well if tweaked right (I've disabled a LOT of stuff and I'm a stickler for my apps syncing). It's a very good phone indeed.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hands down more battery life. Not only is the battery life a bonus, but so is the strength of the device itself. I assume it's easier to make the device stronger if it has more thickness. And then you can always get rid of the Camera hump!  Do I want to feel like I'm holding a tank? No. But I also don't want to feel like I'm holding an egg either. Now, if a manufacturer would take my advice and put in rubber bumpers on the corners of the device, there would be less reason for people to utilize a case, and thickness is less of a factor. People want 4000 and even 5000 mAh batteries.  Someone needs to finally deliver. 

• taotao Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carrying around a phone and charger is more of a pain that a 30% bulkier phone.

There is nothing worse than a phone that drpos 40% or so battery life sitting idle in your pocket, let alone not being able to see some heavy use now and then without dying before end of day.  Ideally battery life should last at least 2 days of light use, and one day with heavy (but not constant) use.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer a phone to be a little thicker. There are many benefits to this.

The first being as mentioned in the OP, being able to handle more intense use.

The other, is a better experience over the life of the device, even for users who upgrade every 1-2 years.

Li-ion batteries lose a tiny bit of capacity with each charge cycle. if you have a phone that just barely makes it through the day on a single charge, then you will find it failing to handle the days usage after probably 6 months of use, thus you will be carrying around a charger or battery bank very early into the life of the device.

On the other hand, if the battery can get you through a day of intense use, with a good amount of left over power (probably around 40%), then instead of a device failing to make it through the day after 6 months of use, you may have a device that will handle 2+ years of use, and still be at a capacity level that will handle a day of intense use.

This carries another major benefit from a business standpoint. Many people prefer to pass down an older phone to another family member. This increases the amount that a user can justify spending if they can have a new phone purchase basically become an upgrade for 2 users. as they can more practically pass down an older phone to another family member.

This means that users who may have only purchased sub $200 phones, may be willing to get a more expensive and higher end device if they know it can be comfortably used for long enough period of time to be passed down, especially considering that a high end current gen device can often beat the experience of a next gen mid range device.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,630 mod

I have no issue with a thinker phone, if it means more battery life. I think I prefer a thicker phone then currently available anyhow.

• techlifetvtechlifetv Canoga Park,CAPosts: 282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bigger battery anyday as I don't mind a bulkier phone in my opinion. 

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It is rather hard to choose one over the other as it is hard to quantify what is moderate to heavy use since we all have difference usage patter. And a heavy use for one maybe heavy for email, text, phone calls, etc and not much gaming like business environment. Then I believe most current good phone would offer good enough battery for that. However, for a heavy gamer, it would never be enough. Luckily most phones now probably would last about a day or maybe day and half of use. And they do support quick charge, so I would say at minimum keep the same standard is a must.

As for the other selection, it is hard to say 30% more than what. Without a specific comparison or a rough idea, it is hard to say how thick it would be.

I do believe there is such thing as too thin of a phone. Especially with many devices now that is getting 5.5'' or larger, sometime too think can actually be hard to hold onto. A lot of phones do get quite thin like iPhone or even Axon 7. However, i believe most people would actually put a case onto their device. As a result, this actually made the phone thicker.

I think Axon 7 does find a good balance of thinness and battery life. It is not overly too thin and provides good enough battery life that can even last 2 days if under moderately use. I think a phone that is about 8 to 9 mm offers good enough gripe. If it needs to be bigger, then it should be slighlty curved like what HTC has done or even what Samsung has done with the latest Note 7. The slight curve design helps to give the phone an appearance of thinner. But more importantly, it helps to make the phone better to hold as the curve just contours the hand's natural shape.  I think slightly thicker is okay as long it offers a good gripe. But I do not like it to be too heavy. Personally I think the 180g is probably the absolutely max weight that I feel too comfortable to hold.

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted for the smaller device with moderate to intense usage. When it comes down to it, by the time I add the case, I need to be able to fit this phone in my bag or pocket, and for a college student, space in the bag can be difficult to find, especially if you don't want to just throw it in just anywheres. During the week, I would say a good chunk of people are either in classes or at work, which means the device does not necessarily have to be used constantly all day. That said, I do use my device in between classes and after quite a bit. On the weekends, that usage time goes up, at least for me. I think 4 hours of on screen time would be sufficient for me. I am able to charge a device about that much if needed.
    I have the Axon 7 and I think †he size of the phone is phenomenal. That is the ideal thickness for me. It is slim and fits in my bag with the case on, even in my pocket. During the average weekday, I can go all day without having to charge my phone if it is fully charged at 8 when I start my day. I won't have to charge it until maybe 8 or 9. On a weekend, I have to charge it once mid day and once at night, but thats with constant screen time. Battery usage and charging isn't really an issue for me with the Axon 7, so I personally think that something thinner than the A7 would be too thin and not enough battery, but something too much thicker that the A7 would be too bulky to want to carry around.  

• i chose one day of very intense usage as i sometimes play games on my phone so... kinda need that extra power imho i would rather have a phone that was a little thick as opposed to being really thin plus weight is not a huge deal as long as its reasonable. i feel really thin devices tend to break too easily call me crazy but thats how i feel.

• I haven't had much problem with battery lately, and on the Axon 7 I'm getting 6-8hrs SOT so I chose moderate-to-intense one day usage.

On weekdays I carry a QC3.0 compatible power bank, but I haven't needed it on the A7 yet.

The form factor on the A7 is good, but I think 30% thicker would be too much to bear on a 5.5" device.

• I am a little bit perplexed at the moment. My Axon 7 is giving me 2 to 3 days of battery life, based on my usage scenario. In contrast, my old Nexus 5 would get me through a day.

However, these results are based on the device being new/out of the box. The Nexus 5 (after close to 3 years) required a battery replacement as the original battery lost most of its capacity.

For now, I have no idea how long the Axon 7 battery will hold up, but my gut feeling is, that it will do better than the Nexus 5. Current Lithium-Ion battery technology can only provide

a limited number of re-charge cycles. Obviously one needs to consider the battery capacities for each device. The Axon 7, with a larger capacity, may end up giving longer life overall, as one may be able to

spread the re-charge cycles over a longer time period. Furthermore, there is some evidence, that quick charging is better for a Lithium battery than slow charging, as the SEI (solid electrolyte interphase) layer

isn't stressed as much as with slow charging. Sorry, for getting a bit technical. Battery researchers are making small and gradual improvements, but we can also make a difference with our usage habits, at least for now.

Every person is different in their needs, but we all will eventually hit a barrier and just have to learn to live within these limits for the time being.

Please do not forget, that there will also be a trade-off between size/capacity and safety. Lithium-Ion batteries in cell phones already pack a considerable amount of energy; the slow & controlled rate of discharge is what

makes them "relatively" safe, but we have seen and read about what happened to the 'S. Note 7' and other phones. It will be a fine line for manufacturers to walk!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite sized phone was the Nexus 4.  It's the width that I care about and that was the biggest I wanted to go.  I mean, a smaller screen size offsets the need for extra battery power anyways.

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A big thank you to everyone that participated in

There are a lot of great responses and feedback in here and we'd like to make 2 honorable mentions to both ​ &

for their contributions!

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats and !

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats ​ and ​!!

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,630 mod

Congrats ​ and ​. Awesome job everyone!

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Congrat.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,257 mod

Cograts ​ & ​ 

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭