Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

What type of Capacitive Keys do you prefer?

As you know ZTE Axon 7 offers a central home button and 2 identical symbols for the other buttons on either side. This allows users to customise the functions of these buttons, so left button can be 'Recents Key' and right button can be assigned as 'Return Key', or vice versa.This is quite different to the approach from other companies, for example Samsung force you to use the Capacitive Keys as it has been designed, with no ability for customisation.So, the question is this -Do you prefer Customisable Capacitive Keys (where the Left and Right Buttons are the same symbol)ORNon-Customisable Capacitive Keys (where Left and Right Buttons have dedicated symbols)?

What type of Capacitive Keys do you prefer? 114 votes

Customisable Capacitive Keys (ZTE)
88% 101 votes
Non-Customisable Capacitive Keys (e.g. Samsung, HTC, Asus)
11% 13 votes

Comments

• I do like when they light up. I like to customizeable kind.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Customizable, and lightable.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Lighted and customizble.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United States Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Customisable, Lighted and a bit more spread Like the ZMAX Pro .

• adrbadrb Toronto, CanadaPosts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Even if they are in theory not customizable, I would like to change the default setup that Asus or other use, I like the return button on the right.

• shoman94shoman94 MainePosts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lit and customizable. I like the location. I don't hit them when just holding the phone.

• xxbrun0xxxxbrun0xx Hartford, CTPosts: 69

The A7 keys would have been infinitely better if they lit up and were spaced out a little more. But honestly, I'd be thrilled if they disabled while keyboard was open. Hitting home by mistake while typing happens way too often.

• Why is this even a question
    You would not have gone Android if you did not prefer customization

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,189 mod

Definitely customizable and lighted,  hands down. 

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 mod
    fzrrich wrote:Definitely customizable and lighted, hands down.  

AGREEED !!!!!

• celticchryscelticchrys Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

Either one, as long as they are backlit. I definitely prefer capacitive keys to onscreen, since it seems nobody is willing to make real buttons anymore.

I guess a better question is why anybody still makes phones with physical buttons? On-screen buttons can hide when not needed, change color, are always backlit, spacing can be changed, are WAY more customizable than the best physical buttons, are built into aosp, allow the manufacturer to have a larger screen-to-bezel ratio (which means better looking phones).

Is there any reason in this day and age to use capacitive keys at all?

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Some people just prefer capacitive buttons.  I can go either way.  There are just some apps I don't like on screen buttons with.  Also extra step to have to swipe up sometimes to get them to show.  I can live without them though as well.

• shoman94shoman94 MainePosts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with on screen is they can make your screen smaller and when they go away it's an extra press to bring them back so you can use them again.

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,189 mod

I also feel that having the option in place for on screen buttons is a must to appease a larger consumer market.  Yes,  it can be implemented through 3rd party apps,  but having it included would make many happy.   

An extra swipe every once in a while vs frequent accidentally hitting home/back/recents, then having to navigate to the app or content within the app again. I think most would be happy to swipe. The problem with onscreen buttons is that many manufacturers use them without shrinking bezels. They design the phone with capacitive keys, then remove them at the last second and go with onscreen buttons. Original Moto X, LG G2, etc were obviously designed for onscreen buttons, and they have tiny bezels as a result. The Chinese Axon 7 has a huge bezel on bottom, so onscreen buttons feel like a waste of space here. Oneplus 3 with onscreen buttons also seems like a waste because it doesn't make the giant bezels go away.

Designed for onscreen buttons > capacitive > onscreen buttons with huge bezels

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Give me lighted captive buttons.

• syaoransyaoran Manassas, VA/Toronto, CanadaPosts: 185 ✭✭

I do not like capacitive keys! 

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,181 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Love capacitive buttons as it free up some space on the screen. It definitely needs to be backlit and customizable.

My thoughts exactly.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a silly question.  If our keys could light up with a configurable duration it would be fine.  Right now you're asking a question that we can't answer because we have non-customizable keys and they don't light up.

• saml01saml01 NYCPosts: 77

Option 3: On screen, customizable and hideable. Customizable like on CM and hideable like on a Lumia 950 (swipe up to hide).

• I agreed with guía option

• gentlemusergentlemuser DFWPosts: 138 ✭✭✭✭

Customizable,  capacitive,  and back-lit!!!!! (maybe even with colors...)

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The ones I can disable and aren't visible after I disable them in favor of on-screen, yet they are still there for people whom do want them. Basically the way OnePlus does their keys.

Yes, the best of both worlds.

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly!

• cacarrcacarr Posts: 93 ✭✭✭✭✭

See OnePlus.