Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

What type of Capacitive Keys do you prefer?

Comments

• twinturboztwinturboz SocalPosts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like exactly how the ZTE Zmax Pro layout is, illuminated, well spaced and clearly marked.

• twinturboztwinturboz SocalPosts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not?  Its best to not have on screen keys especially on amoled displays, after a while it burns the images onto the screen.

• tomwattstomwatts Posts: 39 ✭✭✭✭

Well-Lighted, Capacitive and Customizable.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,554 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you. However, there should be an option for on-screen buttons as well. Some folks prefer on-screen and it is totally possible to do this with the A7.

• I personally don't care if they are configurable or not, but there is something to be said about the esthetics of the symmetrical look of the current ones.  And of course I would like them to be properly lit.

• a2daja2daj Posts: 12 ✭✭✭✭✭

On screen only.  That allows smaller bezels.  I personally won't buy another phone with capacitive buttons or front facing fingerprint scanner.  You don't really have to worry about burn-in since the buttons are not always visible and the manufacturers can always do what Samsung did with the Galaxy 8's always on home button and move it slightly every so often.  As it is, the buttons shift slightly when you rotate the phone.  I've used a Nexus 6P and an Xperia XZ while owning the Axon 7 and I have gotten use to on-screen buttons.  The capacitive buttons are the only drawback, physically, for the Axon 7.  I use to be on the side of capactive buttons but have gone the way of on-screen after heavy use.  If the Axon 8 could go with the extra wide display to fill in the black bars on the current design then you wouldn't really have to worry about losing screen real estate.

• mousemouse Posts: 85 ✭✭✭✭✭

This poll needs to be revised as it can lead to people yelling at ZTE for not listening again.

Physical vs On-screen is what most people care about and they both should be customizable to the user's preferences.

I personally prefer the On-screen software buttons which can be hidden in apps or swiped away (perhaps ZTE could add a "time out" feature to theirs with options like "none, 15 sec, 30 sec...etc" )

On- screen keys are the future, however physical keys are still relevant and liked by a lot of users. They should however be "lit up", as the painted on ones look cheap and really seem like an afterthought.

• mousemouse Posts: 85 ✭✭✭✭✭

So to be clear, your basically saying that ZTE should go the route of OnePlus? I would also agree that this would satisfy most, if not all users.

As jimlloyd40 correctly said, it all comes down to "choice". OnePlus gave their users the best of both worlds wrapped up in a fantastic screen design.

The burn in issue with Amoled screens is new to me and I must admit that this now concerns me, thanks for the information.

I agree with you!!

I agree with you. Give me dual front speakers and lighted captive buttons w/option for on-screen for those who want them like OnePlus does. However it seems that small benzels and on-screen buttons are the wave for the big manufacturer's. There will be issues with burn-in with the Amoled screens for many people. This will be a real headache for the manufacturer's. It will be interesting to see what happens with the designs of the manufacturer's that have not announced yet.

Lets hope so.

• gentlemusergentlemuser DFWPosts: 138 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't the commitment to front firing speakers cause a reduction in the antenna, comprising reception which is the biggest problem with this phone?!

Love the front speakers, but this IS a phone after all.....

Compromising

I read somewhere that to accommodate the size of speakers in the A7 the antenna had to be smaller hence poorer reception.

That also makes sense.

Problem is, there is definitely something wrong...