Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Would You Pay a Small Fee (Less Than $20) For a Stock Android OTA Download Option?

Comments

• Fair enough. I am just sharing my opinion. The point is early reviews is what matters to build a truly sustainable customer base---missing this window is crucial. And also if I had to consider paying for updates. My next phones would likely shift to either One Plus, Motorola, Huwaei, Xiamo, Elephone, Leeco, Blu phones.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

So what if they had the option for true stock or MiFavor on the A7, and they would have originally just charged $420 for the phone?  You would have never known about it.  But you are right, there are many other companies lining up right behind ZTE to bring products to the US.

• rczriderrczrider AshevillePosts: 352

What if unlocking the bootloader causes a nuclear reaction and blows up a house?  We can play "what if" all we want, but the truth is that as of right now, it's very difficult to hard brick the Axon 7 by 1.) unlocking the bootloader and/or 2.) rooting the device.  You have to be trying to do it intentionally or you have to be too stupid to follow directions.  Has it (or will it) happen to someone from pure dumb luck?  Sure.  But for all intents and purposes, unlocking the bootloader and/or rooting is relatively safe assuming you follow directions.  I say this after folks HAVE bricked their devices getting us to this point.  I'm just noting that right NOW it's relatively safe.

And while I see your point, I think it's a silly response used by those who don't have experience in the area.  Why don't I buy a device with an unlocked bootloader that has the same specs as the Axon 7 and the same price tag?  Because it doesn't exist, maybe?  But hey, if it does, please post the link and I'll buy today!

To each their own; do with your device what you will.  I choose to use it to its full potential without the artificial limitations that ZTE has imposed.  I do this with every single smartphone I've owned.  And you know what?  Every single smartphone I've owned has been fine.  I'm not costing ZTE any more money than I would if I didn't unlock or root it.  And if I send it in for warranty work, it will have exactly nothing to do with the bootloader and everything to do with hardware.  If someone can shoot their phone with a shotgun and send in the pieces for a replacement, I can unlock my bootloader and get a replacement if it self-destructs.

The truth is, if they really cared, they'd make it more difficult to unlock.  They could choose to hate their customers like Samsung does and use something like Knox.  But they won't.  Because that's a huge waste of resources when you're struggling to get your UI not to suck and your camera to perform halfway decently.  Samsung can do it because stupid people pay out the butt for their phones.  A phone that catches fire and/or explodes.  Probably because they unlocked the bootloader, eh?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if ZTE were smart, they'd officially support unlocked bootloaders, provide images, and keep the warranty.  They should charge the $80 deductible if you send it in with an unlocked bootloader AND it's borked (normal hardware warranty should be covered free-of-charge and incidental damage like water or broken screens would qualify for the deductible).  You agree to this when you unlock it.  Folks would be more than happy with that arrangement, mostly because it would be nearly impossible to brick if ZTE provided images.  Whatever stupid suit is making the call on this has no idea what they're doing if they think this option is anything but a win-win for ZTE.  It would have been before Google abandoned their Nexus line and it's even more the case now that Pixel is the new Samsung S-series (albeit better).

But hey, what do I know?  I'm just a consumer looking for someone to throw my money at.

• mrknight85mrknight85 United StatesPosts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

i have more experience at unlocking bootloaders rooting flashing roms probably more then most in this community. At the end of the day if you want a unlocked bootloader that bad buy a different device.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,214 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

i don't think this is something that would work. Many manufacturers have tried the play edition awhile back that offers almost stock, unlocked phone but that does not seem to make any traction at all. The GPE program has died since then. Now google is focusing on the pixel and seems to be competing against other manufacturers, I think stock Android is nice but it would be hard to as consumer to pay additional for that. The best way would be offer minimal non-essential customization like moto has done if a company want to offer near stock android experience.

Honestly, I think while stock android is nice, it is not always the best. There are still things that stock android is not doing as great as third party launcher or oem skins. I think what we all love to have is really the speed and performance and stock android and that is just want hte oem maker need to do even if they plan to put a little bit of skin.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Cuz you added "Most" , I'm going to pass not saying nothing else LoL.....but yeah reason i got the A7 and dump my G4 cuz i knew i was going to be able to Unlock Bootloader + all the goodies from A7 (Front speakers, SD820 and more).

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The key word is "would". This thread is all about speculation and I never accused ZTE of anything. And if I paid for MiFavor then they should refund me to revert to stock Android. You don't seem to understand that everything is pure speculation so anything we say here would be our reaction if ZTE ever pulled something like that.

You may be willing to pay but ZTE's reputation as a company would plummet and people would forever label them as the "microtransaction phone company". This is why: it won't ever happen because ZTE is not dumb enough to do so. This is just blind fanboyism, I recommended the Axon 7 over everything else but supporting such a idea is just ridiculous and I'd rather buy a Samsung device which I despise over buying a Axon 8 if they did pull out a stunt like that.

If you have so much experience (and I'll gladly stack mine against yours), then you know that unlocking the bootloader in no way harms the device.  Not in the least.  It is virtually impossible to physically harm the device via software.  Not impossible, sure, but overwhelmingly unlikely.  You'd have to be ​trying​ to break it.  The hardware has safeties built in to keep stupid people from doing stupid things.

And if you know that, then surely you agree that it's ridiculous to void a hardware warranty based on a bootloader unlock.  The EU knows it's ridiculous, which is why ZTE can't get away with it there.

In short, I don't understand your point.  I wanted an unlocked bootloader, so I bought the Axon 7.  Why would I need to buy something different?  ZTE doesn't know I unlocked it, and they won't know if I need to send it in (for hardware issues) re-locked.  Their shortsightedness doesn't relieve them from guaranteeing their product's quality.  It never occurs to me to suddenly release a company from standing behind their product just because I had to go the long way around to make their device more usable.

I don't think it's a contradiction.  "Virtually impossible" implies that it is not absolute.  "Not impossible" and "overwhelmingly unlikely" do the same.  Very few (if any) things in this world are truly impossible, but are still overwhelmingly unlikely.  Physically damaging a modern smartphone via the software is one of them.  Unless it's a Samsung, in which case it may just blow up because you looked at it funny.

"Again", I never said that ZTE had anything to do with this thread, not sure why you can't read something I wrote explicitly. On top of that, I already said so but them giving you "options" may be alright to you but it won't for a huge portion of users who bought the phone and people buy phones expecting everything to be included software wise. Sure, it does cost money to develop software but it would still be a huge PR disaster and ZTE would look like greedy pigs if they did that. Now, stop fanboying, there are limits to everything and don't make ZTE think that it's acceptable because it isn't when you bought a phone expecting the full package without micro transactions behind it. I'll also repeat this again because you don't seem to be able to read: this thread is all speculation on if ZTE ever pulls a stunt like this, it's not an accusation. Axon 7 is already lagging behind competitors just because of the software, a stock OTA if they ever released one should never be locked behind a micro transaction.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always lean towards CyanogenMod nightlies.  They always have the several finishing touches AOSP lacks.  I mean, even Google absorbed many of the features ever since Gingerbread:  the power toggles/ribbon aka Quick Settings, Nougat had teased a Night Mode during the betas (CyanogenMod calls it Live Display), and a built-in root toggle if I want to go that way but not have to rely on a 3rd-party, closed-source solution.

The only thing I care about is if I can have the ability to unlock, wipe, and flash a custom ROM but also the ability to return it to ZTE with their factory image on it.  No warranty issues involved.  I can totally see that as a reasonable agreement for everyone and would keep me as a customer.  When I or anyone else, gets into the whole ROM scene, we're burning our batteries up a lot faster than your everyday user and we'd remain customers if we know what we get is just their newer model.  That sort of rapport would be unprecedented.

• Pure android would be much better, fewer issues and no long waiting game for updates.

That's exactly the problem. It's the same deal with that Tesla car where you had to pay for an update to get extra mileage. No, options are not always better or else it would give manufacturers excuses to charge us extra for "options". Sure, a paid OTA service wouldn't be that terrible but it would entice manufacturers to do so for more money and they would offer increasing amounts of "options". They might probably, on top of that, remove features from phones and add them as "options". It's not the action itself that's as terrible as I say, it's the consequences of allowing manufacturers to do so. It doesn't benefit the consumer at all in the long run as manufacturers will think that we're fine with having paid options.

In this case, if ZTE were to get a consensus of users allowing the sale of a stock Android OTA, what would stop them from intentionally sabotaging the skinned OS's performance in order to get more sales of the stock Android OTA.

I'll also counter your "car with options" argument. We all paid for the Axon 7 over the Axon 7 mini because of its superior processor or bigger size or other options that are superior in the regular Axon 7. You cannot upgrade your Axon 7 mini to the full Axon 7 after the purchase unless you buy the regular Axon 7 in it's entirety. It's the same principle with cars. Sure, you could mod your car but it is something physical. The analogy would work better with Tesla selling a software update to unlock extra mileage. It isn't right to lock a device's potential (which is extra performance from stock Android) behind a pay wall.

It's all about the long term consequences, not short term benefits.

And, yes, you're a fanboy. Sure, you post constructive criticism but that doesn't make someone not a fanboy. It's specifically because you support preposterous ideas such as this one which makes you a fanboy. It's conceding to manufacturers and loosing stuff yourself, in this case, it's personally allowing them to make more money over selling a un-skinned version of the OS and opening opportunities for them to abuse the consumers. Not being a fanboy would be to accept that a company can't do certain things but also wanting the best for yourself which, in this case, is a free stock Android OTA which, by the way, cost them alot less to make than the MiFavor skin so they absolutely are able to give us a stock Android OTA for free financially.

• I personally wouldn't want to pay because then most manufacturer's may like that users pay more and will raise their prices and purposely release devices with bloatware thinking that they can get more profit out of us!  I just try not to buy devices that have a lot of bloat(the one that I can disable).

Makes the manufacturer's UI almost like ransomware.

• Additionally many people are not tech savvy and may not even care about bloat until you point it out to them .   If customers would stop buying particular product because of bloat, then of course manufactures will make sure to put stock vanilla software in their devices.

BUT

Regular users don't wait for updates as we do and some users even scared of getting an update because in the past they had bad experience with that.  I am with Android because of customization it offers and variety of tweaks.  For users that don't understand much in tech, I usually recommend(depending on their needs) either Windows Phone or an Apple. 

• teutonjon78teutonjon78 USAPosts: 326 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I don't understand why any OEM hasn't really figured out that they could make a killing filling in for the Nexus line. OnePlus is close, but they always seems to have either bad customer service or do something boneheaded.

The Axon 7 would sell even better if they just took care of the dev side of things. Of course, since it's still constantly sold out everywhere, they may not need to worry about that ATM.

• teutonjon78teutonjon78 USAPosts: 326 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd have to follow DrakenFX.

If it still maintained the FULL warranty and with images, it might be worth it.

Of course, I've always been of the mindset they should provide full images anyway. And keep the HW part of the warranty intact with bootloader unlock.

• lexxiuslexxius BerlinPosts: 50 ✭✭✭✭

If this is serious and will be taken into consideration by ZTE then 100% yes!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Virtually impossible" means ROMs aren't really low enough in the hardware/software stack to cause irreparable damage.   I mean, "ROM" stands for read-only memory but it's a misnomer because we can write to it with an unlocked bootloader.  In our tweaking Android world a ROM is really just the operating system, or Android.  That's like reinstalling Windows.  If you mess up Windows on your computer you can reinstall it when all else fails.

Below that is the baseband and bootloader.  This is like the BIOS on your computer.  If those got messed up you couldn't get to the ROM level but we'd never get access to tinker with those types of system level stuff because it's talking directly to the hardware of the phone.  The bootloader is what boots into whatever ROM (Android) your phone has.  It also is where you can still connect via adb to install a ROM or recovery.

"Virtually impossible" means you'd have to be a hardware hacker which none of us are.  Or ZTE themselves would have to send us a buggy bootloader update or you install a bootloader that isn't made for this phone and it doesn't have some sort of validation check to ensure it's a bootloader for an Axon 7.  Like, it's virtually impossible for us to mess up the phone to that extent.  You're just installing operating systems.  That's why so many people are willing to do it.

• TAKE MY MONEY $$$!!  :-)

• a7lexa7lex ClevelandPosts: 49 ✭✭✭✭

It is given fact that there are no successful User Interfaces on androids. HTC Sense is considered to be the best UI of the worst in the android world. At the moment all users that know such abbreviation as UI can not stand any custom user interface but Stock  Android.

For some unexplained reason all OEMs think it is a great  idea to customize Stock  Android. As result there are infinite amount of android UIs that look amateur, have unnecessary features and customizations. The custom UIs from OEMs look unpolished in general and having bugs.

There are too many negative points to have custom UI android as follows:

1. OEM UI will get criticized by the reviewers widely in the internet blogs

2. Sophisticated android users will never love it, asking for Stock Android

3. It takes a significantly more time and effort to upgrade existing custom UI to a new android revision

4. I am a pretty sure community members will come up with many more

This discussion has been closed.