Bits And Bytes (week of 10/16)

petershihpetershih ZTE FanaticUnited StatesPosts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>Welcome to our weekly <a _jive_internal="true" href="https://community.zteusa.com/message/50320">Bits And Bytes</a> poll and discussion! Give your honest opinion, debate ferociously, and respect each other at all times...</p><p></p><p><strong>Question</strong>: What's the minimum acceptable frequency for OS updates on your phone? While you're likely to select the most frequent option, please consider what your minimal requirement would be and why.</p><p></p><p><strong>Context</strong>: We've all heard that your car starts losing value as soon as you drive it off the lot. Similarly, the software on your phone is also less valuable over time, becoming more susceptible to security vulnerabilities and software bugs - let alone the lack of new features that are coming out every month. In this week's poll, we're asking what's the minimum frequency for OS-level software updates to your device, where you would feel comfortable with the balance of defect fixes, security patches, and even new features.</p><p></p><p><strong>Action</strong>: 1. Select one of the options below and 2. reply to justify your reasoning. Although there is no correct answer, please provide sound reasoning to support your selection. After a week or so, your Mod Squad will soon identify and reward those with the most thoughtful responses!</p></body>

Bits And Bytes (week of 10/16) 67 votes

Every TWO months
53% 36 votes
Every THREE months
43% 29 votes
Every FOUR months
2% 2 votes

Comments

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I say every quarter as updates every month can frustrate some users.  (Remember Windows every what was it Wednesday update and the next morning you had to re-reboot or last good known configuration your system to get it to function correctly.) I remember it frustrating me a good deal.  Still does.  Or like at work you have to change passwords.  Argh!  Lol!  Anyway every quarter can work as the updates can be combined to a major one instead of every three weeks getting one.  Also each can be tested to ensure there are no challenges or unexpected outcomes. 

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go with every three months, as that gives the manufacturer enough time to test out new features and improve the device with the software updates. But I do want security patches every month or two, so to stay up-to-date on security patches and make the phone a little less vulnerable. Three month for an update to address bugs, improvements, etc., seems like a reasonable timeframe and hope to get update support for a manufacturer's flagship for at the minimum of 1 1/2 year or 2 years, similar to what Google is promising for the Google Pixel, where they are saying the phone will get 2 years worth of update at least.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think security update should be at least once or maybe at most two months. Especially if it's a critical security patch, it should be updated asap. For the lesser critical security, I feel two month is acceptable but 1 month is preferred. As for other OS updates that brings new features fix UI elements, I feel that it would be nice to have them update for maybe within 3 months or so.

Honestly, I think a lot of people who uses android device are probably not aware of the security patches and they just see the pop up window telling them, your device need a software update. I think most of us who are familiar with techs want our device stay up to date as much as we can. But for the rest of average consumers, I feel that as long the security is not critical that can cause them to loose data, personal info, cause critical security risk, I would much prefer a patch update when it is most stable and does not cause any issue to minimize any potential problem.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,257 mod

I voted every 3 months.  I think this respectable and an acceptable waiting period for user and manufacturer to work on the update.  Every 3 months,  4 months is the absolute longest to wait for updates especially software bugs and even sooner for security updates.

• Anything is fine as long as the phone gets CyanogenMod support- including a factory image available for reverting to factory.  I can get Android's security updates on CyanogenMod's nightly channels.

• I agree with most posts on this thread. Three months would be a fine interval for updates, allowing smaller development teams more time to write and test code.

And should a critical security issue become known, a patch could be given priority.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I picked 3 months, while the hope is to have more frequent updates, even if it is just the security updates from google, users like to know that their device is getting supported. Frequent updates with judicious use of nag screens for critical updates.

For example, for Windows patch Tuesday, a user will be more likely to stop what they are doing, and grab the latest update if it targets a remote code execution vulnerability, as compared to one that just contains updates to internet explorer (might be a handful of people still using it).

For non critical issues, I am fine with 3 months, but if something major like stage fright comes around again, then I don't want to be sitting around for 3 months waiting. If an official patch is released for the vulnerability, then a device update incorporating the required security update should be released within a few days if possible, especially in the cases of exploits which can be performed remotely, and require no user action. Think of it like how Microsoft will do an out of cycle update for some critical vulnerabilities, as having people wait even a few days, is too much of a risk.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Google, Samsung and I believe LG do update their phones every month; mainly security patches. A vulnerability is a huge concern these days, since the most of our data are on our personal devices. Personally, I recommend ZTE to release a security patch update every month just like other OEMs.

With Google releasing Pixel phones with Android 7.1 and brings a new feature called Seamless updates, which is great news for the users. Google wants to get rid of waiting time and make it a main stream like rebooting a device, and the update is ready to go. If all the OEMs adopt the Android 7.1 on their upcoming flagship then I rather see an update every month. With each security path, I know that my data on the device is secure and safe.

Now moving on to the current poll, I selected every three months; assuming ZTE would be covering all the past and present security holes in one update. Hopefully, moving on with future ZTE future flagship devices, seamless update feature is part of the phone and ZTE will release a patch update every month like other OEMS.

• shoman94shoman94 MainePosts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted every two but it should be monthly IMO. Security is a big deal. We are attached more then ever to our devices. We use them for banking, buying thing online and using Android pay etc.
    There isn't much to test out with security patches. Monthly updates will also give the opportunity to fix any bugs that may pop up.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I voted for every three, but with a caveat.  Since it was worded "OS updates", not security updates then every three months would be acceptable to me. However, I would like to see security updates every month like a few others have stated. Three months gives the Community time to report bugs, for the bugs to be categorized by the device team, for developers time to identify the issues behind the bugs and re-code to fix them, and for beta testers time to prove the fixes have taken root so the build can be delivered. though i have done little coding myself, I've been alongside developers enough to know bug fixes can be daunting. And that's where the modding community does do a good job (but that's for another thread ).

• wimbetwimbet Dallas, TXPosts: 6 ✭✭✭

If we are talking security patches only, I would like to see ZTE aim for monthly updates like Google already does. The update process can be annoying at times, but Android 7.0 introduced seamless updates that can be installed in the background.

• Quarterly should be the minimum, but security updates should be monthly. I think even every 4 months is ok for system wide updates and thats what i voted. But for glaring issues or problems they should be addressed as soon as possible.

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Three months seems reasonable to me. When I think update, I think new features, new look, new something. While a security patch is most definitely important, I think people nowadays put value in something they can see, hold, or know is new or changed. That said, people also hate change. Myself included, can certainly be frustrated with too much or too little out of an update. I think the perfect balance would be to add one or two new features four times a year, roughly every three months. That said, I am thinking minor things like maybe new animations or new widgets. Giving apps a new themed shape or transparency behind the app rather than some blocky look might be simple enough. It doesn't have to be anything too crazy, but options are always good ideas.

As for security patches, I think that those are needed, but under appreciate by the general user. The average person who picks up a phone or a grandparent who was given a device may have no clue what it means. If this is the behind the scene work while the few changes play the lead roles, it is the happy medium for those tech savvy people out there and the average user. People keep bank information, credit card information, and security apps on their phone that are susceptible so frequent patches need to be pushed out.

To recap, I think three months would be perfect because it would allow for the average user to see value in the update and to attach important security patches behind it to keep everybody happy. Any more than three months and security updates would have to be pushed out more frequently.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't need updates for updates' sake, but I do want security vulnerabilities to be patched as soon as possible. So I'm okay with minor security updates every month or two, but major OS updates could be once or twice a year.

• in my honest opinion i selected two months but three months is good too i think from a security stand point it should ideally be as follows: Critical Updates to flaws that pose an immediate threat should be every month or sooner on a "as needed" basis meaning every month does not mean there would be an update..only if a serious flaw was discovered. normal update should be every two to three months depending on flaws, threats etc. found. honestly though i don't think you can adequately say why two months is better then three or vice versa as there are a lot of unknown variables that can come into play.

• i would say every two months for OS security and bug fix updates if nothing else. more and more personal and financial info is on or accessed thru mobile devices and with just about everything backed up or stored in some form of cloud storage, or synced to google or outlook, with or without your knowledge of it or as with ActiveSync or ALT-N webmail which can remotely manage devices to some extent, i believe that consistent updates are vital to closing backdoors, updating trust store, and just over all maintenance of the system as a whole. there are enough people who dont pay attention to product improvement, developer feedback and log sharing settings that there should be more than enough data from the current OS sent to delelopers that new security threats no matter how well hidden, will affect performance and i would hope throw up a red flag, patched, and worked into the upcoming alpah/betas that are in continuous development and testing. i think its vital not only for the security, but with consitant updates being released, despite the groans the "Update Avail." or "your firmware is out of date......." messages  can elicit from most people, it builds consumer trust and confidence. major OS updates obviously wouldnt make any sense to do every two months. yearly seems about right, unless the current version is just a trainwreck and rather than keep putting bandaids on it, and **** off owners of the devices who are usually locked into some form of contract or pre paid and spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a device that doesnt work like it should, and possibly losing them to a competitor, a major update, in my opinion, should be released early and is ridiculous to postpone it just to keep up a tradition and using all the hype and anticipation that preceeds the launch announcement as free advertising/ pre-sale booster. apps as well, nothing worse than when your devices performance drops and for the avg consumer who wont know where to begin looking at what caused the drop, an app that isnt updated to to be compatible with an OS update and causes freezes or crashes the phone etc is more than enough to get them complaining about it to everyone they know...anyway...overtired and taking care of sick 2yr old...i hope that came out as i intended it to, despite losing my train of thought and probably 5 attempts at picking it back up before finishing......(and now i sit back and wait to be torn apart by trolls that hunt these parts....) 

That's the good thing about the Z-Community ​. There's very few trolls here and the ones that do troll tend to be more on the softer side. The mods have done an excellent job of keeping this a place where discussions are debated at times but never get out of hand. I never feel that if i post something I will get berated, which was opposite of when i was on the Oneplus forum.  The most debated topics are typically people who want things to work as they should, so most negative things are actually pointed at ZTE, not other people.  Can't blame them for that   Also, hope your 2yr old gets better quick, I've been there before

• thanks! its just a cold and shes all stuffed up, she more frustrated than anything and as soon as she dozes off and try breathing thru her nose she wakes up. as for my post/troll fodder, i assume it didnt come out as clear as i intended, probably rambling and all over the place, (i refuse to go back and read it hahaha) but as i am not usually one to frequent the community or forum sections of anything, all i have to go by is the full size ford bronco forums ios jailbreak forums and what i always hear about from my buddies who are reddit guys. it wouldnt offend me at all if someone tore it to pieces but i expected it would be.

back to the update question, i answered that as if the phone still locked down. i am a huge fan of the jailbreaks for ios. ive rooted a few android tablets and phones but havent put time into them as i have with my idevices. i consider myself an "advanced user" and i can honestly say that i had my devices running fast, stable and way more secure than anything the app store offers. i constantly tinkered around in the file system and using Flex 2, tweaked the cydia apps to how my liking. i hated losing it when i upgraded devices earlier this year. under those circumstances i was deadnset aganst update hahaha hollap

No thanks ​. I go there every once in awhile just to remind myself how nice it is here.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have to say I see this as three different questions here. For security updates then they should be pushed monthly no question at all. For updates for bug fixes and new features. Then it could be maybe two to three months. If you're talking about OS updates then I'd say four months minimum.

I love being on a Nexus and getting quick updates. From security to bug fixes to the latest OS update. No other manufacturer can ever match that. However I'm getting sick of getting an OS update almost 8 months later when the new OS is about to be released from other brands.

• rlynnsiirlynnsii Ms. United StatesPosts: 4

Every 3 months is quarterly, that gives the developers time to plan for them reasonably. And without waiting too long in between for security concerns. However, I do think if there's reason for a more IMMEDIATE security patch; it should be pushed through much sooner.

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted two months. I think as long as the update is improving the performance, or adding features the faster the better. Technical issues would be discovered faster in the wild leading to quicker resolutions.

• ? Why is there no 1-month option?  Security Patches are rolled out monthly by Google, therefore we should expect these patches on a monthly basis as well. Just like Samsung does. If you want to lead the market, you need to provide the same patch services as Google and Samsung, which implies ​monthly updates

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with that 100%. Especially concerning the security. New features need more development time. Google has already done the work on the security patches.