Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Organizing All Those Apps

How do you organize apps in your app tray? Do you create any folders to manage your apps in the tray? Tell us how you like to organize apps on your phone?

Organizing All Those Apps 73 votes

Yes, I use folders in app tray.
42% 31 votes
No, I don't.
47% 35 votes
Other
9% 7 votes

Comments

• Please leave a comment on how you organize apps on your phone? Do you sort apps by alphabetical order?

Or sort them by function, such as all the social network apps are placed closely on screen or in the same folder?

Or sort them based on usage frequency, such as most commonly used apps are placed closely?

Or sort them by icon colors?

Or something creative!

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,189 mod

I like having the option of several views in the app drawer which really come in handy that I have been acostomed to from my HTC days,  Recent Apps,  Alphabetical ,  and a custom view if my choosing where I can drag/organize apps in the app drawer to folders of my choosing for instance a Games folder,  Media,  Work folder for apps I frequently use at work and so on and so forth.  This custom view is most convenient as I have organized them as I see fit yet their are those times that I have nust installed an app or two that I don't recall the name of and by viewing the drawer with the most recent apps I am able to locate it quickly. Their are also times when I have my apps organized in numerous folders but may forget which folder a certain app is in,  searching alphabetically helps me locate the app easier in this instance .

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,181 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

In the app drawer, I just leave them as alphabetical order with no folders.

On the home screen, I only put the apps I use and rarely use any folders; but at the same time, I really don't have much apps installed, maybe less than ~25 of my own apps installed from Google Play; so ordering the homescreen shouldn't be too difficult in my case; but app drawer, I just prefer alphabetical order.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,593 mod

​ I don't organize apps at all. Where ever Android drops them by default is where they stay.  I'm not to picky about this, as long as I can find things, I'm happy.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No folders here. I have 3 pages of the most used apps. Most used on the home screen then page 2 and 3. The rest in app drawer to use when needed.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi New Jersey Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great survey. I do not use folders in app drawers. That said, I do like to see Alphabetical order app organization in MiFavor launcher.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I try to keep the amount of apps I have on my devices to a minimum. That being said, I have no need to create folders. I just keep what i do have arranged alphabetically so I know where to look.  90% of what I do on my device is already on my home screen anyway.

• taotao Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't use many apps, therefore the 5 or so I actually download don't really need to be organized in anyway other than having a home screen or two dedicated to the icons of the apps I use.  Also I keep my main home screen clear of everything other than the time and weather.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The way I look at it, the whole purpose of the app tray is to be an exhaustive, A-Z list of all your apps. Folders defeat that purpose. Folders on your home screens might make sense for people who have a lot of apps.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I generally add multiple pages. Google apps on one page, socials on another, business apps on another, etc. I usually end up with 5 screens.

folders within the app drawer can be convenient when you want to organize your apps in into lists or categories yet keep your home screen relative clean from multiple apps or numerous folders.  It's just another user preference option of laying out your phone.  I have done both in the past depending on what launcher I'm running. In HTC Sense I usually use the folders in the (custom)  view,  in the app drawer.  Using any thing else I place numerous folders on my home screen.  Options are always  good when trying to stay organized.   

• coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a ton of apps...... over 149 now...... currently I only organize he ones that are on my home screen, the ones that are in my app draw are all organized by alphabet.

Great idea!!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea what you mean by App Tray.  I assume you're referring to the App Drawer?

Personally, I have a clean homescreen- mainly used for widgets.  I use Nova Launcher and create folders inside my App Drawer.

• Screenshot_2016-11-04-22-03-47.jpgI keep everything in folders..

I have the

Machine room = has all the system files like Setup, phone specific apps

Arcade - Games

Apps. well for apps

Gallery, for picture viewers and stuff

Accounts, for online banking, paypal, ups, insu,,  etc.

Social - facebook twitter.

Junk - for misc crap

and others,

only files hanging out I put down in the Dock.

I like the look of it, !

Very well organized  

• I classify my applications depending on my uses of the frequency namely those I use most often, I willing the front page and the least used in the background

• filipecachidefilipecachide Coimbra, PortugalPosts: 2

I use Nova Launcher. I have three pages, home screen, one screen for calendar and another which is game-related.

Screenshot_2016-11-06-13-36-57.jpgScreenshot_2016-11-06-13-37-08.jpgScreenshot_2016-11-06-13-37-18.jpg

The dock is also three-page, with each icon having a swipe action that opens an app which is generally related to the main one (Nova Launcher feature).

Some gestures open yet some other apps.

By principle, I only need one place to access each app, so I hide every app from the app drawer that I can access otherwise (page, gesture or dock).

I have 2 pages in the app drawer (Nova Launcher feature), one for system apps and another for the few that didn't make it to pages or dock.

Screenshot_2016-11-06-13-37-38.jpgScreenshot_2016-11-06-13-37-58.jpg

This way, I keep each place tidy without overdoing it, all the while being functional.

• syaoransyaoran Manassas, VA/Toronto, CanadaPosts: 185 ✭✭

I keep the few I use on my home screen and the rest stay in the app drawer.  That was taken from my Nexus 6P, which uses the Pixel Launcher.  My Nexus 6 has the exact same setup as well.

Screenshot_20161108-123201.png

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like to keep similar function app into folders so that it would be easier for me to find them. I either have them as a folder widget on the home screen or that on the app drawers. One thing I like that some OEM maker have on their launcher is the ability to hide apps in the drawer. I think it is a great addition if there is a pre-installed app that you cannot uninstall.

• jasonejasone United States Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I don't use folders in the app drawer. Do I think it's a bad idea? No I think it's a pretty good one. However It's just not for me I can scroll through my 100 or so apps pretty quickly.

If I don't feel like scrolling then I use the search bar at the top of the drawer in Nova Launcher. That's a much quicker way for me to find it than to spend time organizing 100 or so apps that I have installed. I put those most important ones on the home screen nice and organized, but use other methods when in the drawer.

Same here, ​. Whatever I don't have on my home screen I don't use very often so they stay in the app drawer for when I do need them.  When I bring u the app drawer I can scroll through alphabetically the rest of my apps.  I see why people like the option, but it's just not for me.

• I sort my apps mostly by their functionality. For example, I have a folder for music & movie-related apps, games, productivity/work, tools, cameras & photo editors, travel stuff, etc. I don't usually use search to find an app because the ones I use most frequently are only two taps away (1 to open the folder and 1 to launch the app), which is faster than typing something in. Depending on how many apps someone has, scrolling through a very long list can get annoying, particularly if the app isn't used/needed every day and doesn't have a memorable name to facilitate its look-up under alphabetical sorting.

• Updated, just like the clean look.. Drawer is accessed by a up swipeScreenshot_2016-11-22-23-54-03.jpg

Nice clean look.