Bits And Bytes (week of 11/6)

Comments

• Everyone of these is a great reason for the use of stock, or even near stock, Android. I chose the cleaner interface as my primary reason. I hate having a really awesome phone that hangs up because of janky implementation of an idea or laggy interfaces that have to compensate with extra RAM that could be put to much better use. Stock Android has always been my favorite Android and it will always be my favorite. I've used all kinds of different phones this year and anyone that stays close to stock or is straight up stock is always the phone I went back to in the end.

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

ALL OF THE OPTIONS LISTED! CHECK EVERY SINGLE BOX!

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

YEP!

• I like the cleaner user interface and everything, but I picked less bloatwear because I hate it. It's annoying trying to get rid of it. Also, a lot of vendors reduce some android functionality. The moto z I use for work doesnt support andoids multi user function and thats frustrating. I would like to be able to separate out personal and work using that feature.

• Voted for more dev support, I bought the phone for the sound and being able to implement that into custom roms is a must for me. Otherwise, what's the point of getting this phone vs a one plus or something along those lines.

• The one-two punch that would virtually be a panacea for nearly all the problems implied by these options would be concentrating first on a "cleaner user interface and skin" followed closely by providing "quicker updates".

Obviously, a stock, or pure Android OS already comes with the advantages of free and dedicated development work done by Google on a continuous basis. I realize part of the reason for providing your own unique skin is for purposes of branding to set you apart from other phone manufacturers, but why not shift that branding effort elsewhere? For instance, instead of the company of MiFlavor, why not the company of lightning-quick updates (which addresses the issue of "lower defects" or bugs), or second-to-none customer service? Without the need to tweak and skin Android, resources and staff can be shifted and beef up the bug hunting team, the customer service department, etc. Providing quicker updates would only enhance ZTE's reputation further as a company that is on the cutting edge and takes security flaws seriously.

Solving the issue of bloatware is easy enough: Provide all these ZTE apps as preloaded, but easily uninstallable. I realize many of these apps are there to differentiate the ZTE brand or try to move people into the ZTE ecosystem. Generally, people do what is most convenient, and most will just keep those apps there and use them, fulfilling those goals of branding. At the same time, enthusiasts will be able to remove the apps, making them more satisfied with the ZTE's customer orientation.

As for dev support for custom ROMs, think about this in terms of computer games. Many games have a vanilla build that is easily moddable. When coupled with a publisher that is enthusiastic and supportive of the modding community, that community soon has any number of mods for that game that they have taken their own time to develop for free. Some game publishers even end up incorporating features modders produced in future expansion packs/DLC. So, provide Stock Android as a vanilla base on which others can easily add their ROMs. Heck, maybe there will be some MiFlavor enthusiast who develops a MiFlavor mod that anyone who is so inclined could use. Your custom ROM dev support team would be more of a dedicated liaison with the modding community instead of being chained to a particular ROM (and could be a great deal leaner and less costly as a result).

When it comes to longer support, a greater ability to do this also stems from switching to a stock Android OS, because of the cost-saving synergies I've already mentioned. That being said, I personally do not see the practicality of extending support beyond two or two and one-half years since the current business model of cell phone manufacturers is to churn out a new phone every year or so as cellular technology improves in order to maintain relevance and profitability. But if that model ever changes...

A couple final thoughts. I feel that this issue of stock Android is on par with two other issues: the reception issue, and official Verizon support. With these issues out of the way, I just have this vision of Verizon-whitelisted Axon 7 devices for a "flagship killing" inexpensive price coupled with "MVNO killing" inexpensive Boom! Mobile plans that utilize postpaid Verizon towers and service. Imagine what a partnership that would be!

• thedp1979thedp1979 DCPosts: 35 ✭✭✭

I voted for quicker updates. This is by far the most important thing to me. Pushing updates within weeks (instead of months) needs to be a goal of ZTE. For safety and security, but also for consistency between devices and manufacturers. This should be like a Chromebook: build a stunning device at a great price point with differing hardware specs, but leave software updates to Google.

• I voted for less bloatware, since that means less effort for me to set up the phone how I want, less errors while using it, and better performance. Still, every single point in that poll deserves my vote, they are all points I appreciate in stock Android phones. I am one of the people who want to set up their phone to their liking, adding specific features only useful to part of the userbase. I believe there can never be one ideal Android OS, and stock is the only option allowing us to actually customize the phones to meet our own requirements.

• I too would have ticked several boxes if the option was available. I actually selected less Bloatware for the reasons below along with other comments.

I paid quite a lot of money for a Sony Z3 Tablet - the only option was 16GB of storage and it's nearly full. It's not full because I have stored a lot of stuff on it, it's full because of all the bloatware crap that was already preinstalled and I am unable to get rid of.

I have a Nexus 4 phone for several years now (also only 16GB) Being honest there are several stock Android apps that I never use that I wish I was able to remove too.

I have certainly received much faster updates for my Nexus than I have for my Sony Tablet.

Come on ZTE bring on No Bloatware, fast updates, front facing speakers, some level of water resistance and a decent OIS camera with decent battery life - all at an affordable unlocked buy it now price.

I don't want for much!

• Joined this forum for this,
    I chose longer updates (because security).
    But  a clean UI is the current limiting factor in the axon 7 (when i upgrade very very soon, i might just go with the axon 7 mini).

PS. Thank you so much for filling the hole google left in my heart.

• I think it may have been better to do a ranking instead of a poll. In most cases people who want stock Android want all of these things and just rank them differently. I would rank them:

1. Cleaner user interface and skin - There's so much fracturing in the market, the closer you are to stock the easier it is to get support.

2. Quicker updates - I hate having a bug related to OS and waiting forever for it to get fixed "officially".

3. Longer support - I am not one of those people who wants to update their phone every 6 months, I want a phone that will last if I take care of it.

4. Better overall performance - I think that if you take care of your phone and you maintain the OS performance will come automatically with a well designed phone.

5. less bloatware - If I can remove the bloatware, I don't care if it's installed. The best option would be to have a "remove all bloatware button"

6. lower defects - I think that stock OS will have as many issues as any other image.

7. greater dev support for custom ROMs - this seems to be the antithesis of having stock OS.

I would have added another option. 'Better compatibility'; if you're using stock Android, you have less of a chance of running into weird bugs because you're images has X quirk.

• I chose for Quicker updates since they provide better overall performance, bug fixes and of course, security. Also a Clean UI. Stock Android with useful features would be better. I hate how inconsistent most OEMs' user interface are and some parts of the UI are modified for no apparent reason. Lastly, less bloatware. No need for another app Google already provides and if there are pre-installed apps, at least make them uninstallable.

• I chose quicker updates....not just for newer versions of Android..but for a secured phone. It will be good to see uniformity in that whole UI of the OS as most of the developers will focus on stock design aspects. And more importantly Android OEMs will be able to update their devices sooner. It will not be a condition wherein one has to go for Nexus or Pixels just for newer Android version. Users will have a better option in choosing a good phone with better hardware and near stock UI. Hope we see some great hardware phones with "Almost stock " UI. I'm not saying stock is the only secured phone. But it will be easy to update devices with a more secured version of Android. So that most of the Android phones will be secured. I would prefer to purchase a ZTE phone with stock UI in it when compared to a complete stock phone. A great hardware with a better stock UI is always a better option.

My opinion though.

• Got XDA to feature this pool on their front page!

ZTE Invites User Opinions on Why They Use Stock Android

Expect more incoming Votes!

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • Totally agree. The Axon 7 is going to be my Next Nexus.

Focus on the hardware IP68 would be nice.

Monthly maintenance (security) releases, not feature releases.

As a Nexus user currently, I don't like all the fancy stuff. Just let Google build and test apps that work.

• Lack of stock android is the ONLY reason I have not purchased an Axon 7 already.  I'd sincerely buy one right this minute if I could get it with stock android.  I told myself a few months ago that if the new Google phones this year disappointed (and they did) I'd buy an Axon 7.  Bit I haven't been able to make myself take the leap to a non-stock device, so I'm sticking with my Nexus 6 for now--which means my "new phone" money is still sitting there waiting for something worth buying.  Give me stock Android and the Axon 7 would be that phone.

I vehemently despise manufacturer or carrier "skins," no matter how lightweight, because they destroy the consistency-of-design that Android has finally started to achieve after all these years.  Non-stock skins also impact tweakability in ways I don't care for, and can detract from the pure android experience (especially in light of increasing integration of core features into stock apps).

• I would like to get security patches for at least 3 years and on a monthly basis just like Google does. This would justify a higher price for me. To achieve this, it is of course better to stick to a more stockish interface with just some loosely coupled extra features that do not integrate deeply into the OS.

• hankhank St. Philip BarbadosPosts: 0

I chose cleaner user interface and skin, it would have been very closely followed by less bloatware and longer support. The specs of the phone offer great performance already all that is left is the software to match, a lean OS such as stock android would be ideal as the phone ages over time. Less bloatware is obvious why anyone would choose that and longer support would be fantastic.

• Well ZTE/Peter Shih - this was a hard poll you've presented to the readers here, as ALL of the options, I feel, wouldn't be chosen by me, but in the end, I have chosen "greater dev support for Custom ROMs" as it would allow longer-term support at a community level if ZTE decides to discontinue ROM/software support, therefore increasing its service life in the process, BUT THAT SAID, this DOES NOT MEAN that official/OEM support should be shortened at all - in fact, I would like to see ZTE improve official and unofficial/community-level software support, not just in its US/North America divisions, but also internationally.

• I almost bought an axon 7 but it had a skinned version of android. I'd buy a zte phone in the future if it had stock android with the latest update as with the google devices. I do really like the audio capabilities the but zte phones need better cameras and thinner bezels.

• Motorola style skin would be great. I like the Axon 7's notification shade, ability to lock apps from dismissal in the recent apps carousel, and some other odds and ends. But the removal of stock features like the encryption menu, system UI tuner, etc. is inexplicable. Just add some polish that neither MiFavor or stock offer like a clear all function in notifications, some decent gestures, etc. If you really need to tack something heavy on make it useful like a true dark or black mode to make better use of the AMOLED display.

• silverxbv2silverxbv2 CaliforniaPosts: 3

Cleaner UI, as in stock Android, would be the way to go. Things like better dev support and faster updates would be there by default with a Nexus like OS. I personally love this device. The design, the build, the audio. It's an awesome phone that can compete with anything out today. Bringing a stock OS with full images like the Nexus lineup, being able to unlock the bootloader without voiding the warranty would solidify this phones status as a flagship killer.

• Honestly? All of the above. However i voted for cleaner UI and skin. Mostly because of things like the Settings menu, I don't like the way it looks/is layed out in MiFavor, I also tend to prefer the official vanilla version of any OS.

• Cleaner ui so I can modify it as I like. Updates is also extremely important.

• I voted for quicker updates, this being because with quick updates usually come bug fixes performance enhancements etc. However this is not to say that clean UI should not be missed! 2 years I feel is long enough for a phone update cycle and a clean UI is something that comes along with a good update schedule. I would like a Stock android feel with a new feature enhancements that any user can use to aid the function of their phone.

• I just prefer the clean look of stock Android. But there are many good arguments for stock ROMs.

I'd love to have official CM on my Axon 7. All I need is status/navbar customization and double tap to wake/sleep.

The MiFavor UI has some gestures and stuff that don't work too well, therefore ZTE should only put in features that have been tested to work well.

• shoman94shoman94 MainePosts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a tough one but I chose better overall performance because really many of the choices lead to this.

• ax0n7ax0n7 Kansas City, MOPosts: 1

I voted for faster updates, but really all those choices apply. I'd imagine its easier for the ZTE devs to work with instead of trying to make a UI that has to almost reinvent the wheel. Quicker updates and the community in whole will be ecstatic and very supportive. Quicker updates also mean better security enhancements which is not something to scoff at as all major media tend to cover the most secure phones these days. ZTE already has AOSP to work with and just has to make it work with the device itself. I think ZTE wants something that the community will enjoy and appreciate. It would be in ZTEs best interests to do that instead of doing their own thing with MiFavor.

• First of all: I chose greater dev support for custom ROMs

Here my reason:

Better custom dev support would make the whole topic very simple: the OEMs provide the hardware and their vision of how the OS should be like and they should be totally free in their adaption. BUT every OEM should provide full support for an AOSP build to give the user who owned the hardware the freedom to choose whatever vision he prefers for his device from AOSP till MIUI or whatever else he comes up with. Very similar to the PC industry, where many OEMs release their own customised Windows versions but still provide full driver and tools support for everyone who wants his own clean Windows/Linux installation without loosing any functionality.

My point is that if I owned the hardware I should have the possibility to fully use it according to my one vision of software adaption if I want to, at least inside the Android universe. Then I find it completely reasonable that the OEM has the right to discontinue further support after I changed the stock experience although I believe that warranty for defective hardware components that aren't software related still should continue.

In short: OEM provides hardware and own vision of OS and user gets full support for an AOSP build (APIs, drivers etc)

This way the user makes the hard work in adopting the OS according to his own preference from AOKP till MIUI or whatever else, while the OEMs get relieved of dealing with customers claiming different features and designs of their stock vision by simply guiding them to the custom dev section.