Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Would You Be Interested In a Dual Camera Smartphone ?

yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>Hi Everyone,</p><p>   </p><p>     Our carrier clients would like to know if a dual camera setup is one of the most important driving elements for consumers who are purchasing new smartphones.</p><p></p><p>       This week, Consumer Labs would like to hear your thoughts on a Dual Camera Smartphone. Is a dual camera one of the most important specifications that attracts you to purchasing a new smartphone?</p><p></p><p>        Please select one of the options below and reply to your reasoning. There is no correct answer, but please provide sound reasoning to support your selection.</p></body>

Would You Be Interested In a Dual Camera Smartphone ? 137 votes

Yes, I am quite interested in a dual camera smartphone
36% 50 votes
Somewhat interested
40% 56 votes
Not at all
22% 31 votes

Comments

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Shoot after the Axon Pro I got hooked on a dual camera phone.  If configured correctly you can get great detailed shots.  Imagine the configuration of the cameras on the Axon Pro but instead of a 13MP camera and 2MP two 13MP cameras could do so much better.

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Dual camera doesn't mean the camera will be good, it highly depends on the post-processing software. It depends on how good that software works on conjunction with the dual cameras.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It will depend on how good the cameras are. If a single camera (e.g., Galaxy S7, Google Pixel, iPhone 7, etc.) produce a better picture quality and video quality, I would say stick with it. If a dual camera can produce the same good results + some extra features like the iPhone 7 Plus, LG G5, Honor 8, Huawei Mate 9, and others, I would say go ahead and incorporate a dual camera module. Another concern about incorporating a dual camera would be the cost, would it cost more and produce only a minimal extra result? If so, maybe it's not worth incorporating the dual camera yet until it is cheaper and produce better picture and video quality than a single camera sensor.

• syaoransyaoran Manassas, VA/Toronto, CanadaPosts: 185 ✭✭

A friend of mine has a Huawei Honor 8 and the pictures it takes are excellent.  Plenty of options for those looking for more than just point and shoot options but also with an excellent point and shoot mode.  Images have a much better contrast, color accuracy, and seem to give the illusion of having more depth.  I use the cameras on my phones when traveling a lot, so a dual camera setup to get the best pictures is now among the must-have list of things I want in my next mobile purchase.  

• I had a dual camera setup on the htc one m7.  It did not impress me at all.  My wife's Note 4 took way better pictures with a single camera.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like the trend is leaning to dual lens cameras. Just give me a good camera. If that means a dual lens camera than bring it on!!

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Alright can someone please help me out here?  I see that many phones are starting to incorporate dual camera setups.  And other than the ability to focus your image after the shot is taken, what are the other benefits to having the dual cameras?  I am a little slow this morning so I need some help with this. Thanks all!

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, it all depends on what the dual camera is setup for. We have seen Dual Camera that does 3D Mode, Ultra Wide Angle Mode, Bokeh Effect Mode, and Macro mode. I wish this dual setup took care of all the above mentioned shooting modes. Personally, I would be more interested in seeing Macro and Ultra Wide angle Mode. Bokeh feature can be taken care of by using software. Google Camera app does just that.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I checked yes, but it really depends on how the feature is implemented. Two cameras have the potential to be better than one, but just sticking an extra camera on the back of the phone is not going to realize that potential. The second camera is useless unless it allows for some notable improvement on at least one feature like focus speed, low-light image quality, etc.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

I don't use camera on phones enough for it to matter to me. I do feel that consumers should have options though.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I picked somewhat interested. The main reason is that for phones which have 2 cameras, they are often not used at the same time to any meaningful extent.

With the money that would go into 2 cameras, imagine if that money was instead put into giving a phone a higher quality single camera with a 1/2 inch or larger sensor, wither a higher quality lens.

The approach done by companies like LG are a little more practical in terms of having some level of optical zoom, though it is not something that benefits the user in every single situation, but a better sensor and lens does.

Think of it like this, for low light situations would you rather buy 2 Sony RX100 mk 4 point and shoot cameras, or would you rather have a Nikon D7200 + a 24-70 f2.8 (or a 17-55mm f2.8) lens?

Or if needed, replace a second camera sensor with a bunch of sensors that will assist the focusing system for the main camera. Overall, unless a phone already has the best available camera module money can buy for the form factor, it is best to put those funds into making the main camera module as good as possible so that all use cases for the camera will be improved for the user instead of the one or two that a dual camera system would help with.

• mrknight85mrknight85 United StatesPosts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes if its implemented anything like the Huawei P9 dual Camera setup that thing takes so great pictures it can me very helpful to photographers who use their phones as there go to on the GO

• mrknight85mrknight85 United StatesPosts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

whats up ​ how you doing Mr.K saying what up LMAO!!!

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I chose somewhat interested as well. I agree with most of the previous posts in regard to having a good camera regardless of a single or dual setup. It does seem that a dual camera setup is trending right now and I am all for having more features as far as a smartphone camera as long as it is done well.

• timmyjimotimmyjimo Seattle, WAPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭

It all depends on the final product. If 2 lenses are what it takes to end up with a better photo, then I am all for it but it is just a means to an end.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If it is in order to produce a better low light photo/video than I would be interested in the dual lens set up, however if its just to make it zoom more or just to allow for more depth then I wouldnt care as much. If it didnt increase the cost to the consumer and still created a great experience than I wouldnt mind if it was dual lens, I just wouldnt make it a deciding factor in the purchase

• shoman94shoman94 MainePosts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larger pixel size cameras is what we need.  No need for 20mp cameras on a cell phone.

• syaoransyaoran Manassas, VA/Toronto, CanadaPosts: 185 ✭✭

I agree!  The software experience they have nailed down as well.  Good hardware is only as good as the app behind it and having professional options goes a long way to further set the standard for an amazing dual camera setup. 

• It all depends on the implementation. Apple did a great job, keeping the regular camera intact, even improving it, while adding a second telephoto camera. Their 'Bokeh' implementa is Excellent and useful. Huawei chose to use two identical cameras with one of them coming without color filter to increase Dynamic Range and light sensitivity, but this is a much trickier to implement as you need a really good software processing to take advantage of this setup. If you don't nail it, you end up with a picture that's worse than using a single camera. Seeing that google and Apple are able to get much better dynamic range and low light performance than Huawei phones, I'd argue that it's better to inves in one great single camera module and create an excellent software to process the results. The Sony IMX298 (used in the google Pixel) and the IMX398 (used in the Oppo R9s) are very capable modules, and with the right software they can achieve the best possible results, no need for any gimmicky pricey second camera.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I wrote somewhat interested because I think it's an exciting concept, but honestly quality is what is important. I'd rather have a single lens camera that is great in low light and takes good images, than a dual camera phone that isn't as good.

I think dual camera phones can be fun I've played with a couple of them, and fun is important. It also is a great way to make your phone stand out. However at it's core it's a gimmick. If your phone truly takes good photos then it won't need a gimmick to stand out. It will be in the reviews and people will spread the word online and offline.

"Focus" on larger sensors with larger pixels and not more pixels. Give us a phone capable of taking good photos in low light and fantastic photos in good light. Single or dual camera it doesn't matter, but I'd rather see more money go into one good quality sensor and lens. Than split between 2 sensors and lenses and be mediocre.

• I don't think this is useful, I mean unless they work togather to take one better photo, changing lenses when taking photo, a very low specs for the secondary lense is just not useful. Even with the iPhone 7 plus portrait mode. Not a significant inproment to others with software doing the blurry background. And if I took a photo with either iPhone or wide angle like LG V20, the photo will be much worse in almost every aspect

• What would make the biggest difference for me is a larger sensor. I know space is tight but a larger sensor would provide a wider angled image due to less crop factor, but more importantly, improved low light performance.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I would be interested!!!   To be it would enable to camera to have a wider view and to take even better pictures!

• For me, a dual camera setup seems "nice to have" but is not the main attraction or #1 feature when selecting a phone, especially not at the expense of potential trade-offs like increased cost or battery power consumption.

The overall appeal depends on its purpose, whether the cameras are identical (for example, to create stereoscopic "3D" effects) or made to add supplemental information like depth detection (for bokeh effects), native wider-angle shots, or additional detail/clarity (for instance, separate monochrome sensor + RGB info).

As a side note, with the rise in popularity of 360-photos & video and "VR", it would be really interesting and unique to have multiple wide-angle cameras to easily snap 360° photos with only 1 or 2 clicks of the shutter button (depending on field of view and phone orientation). Of course, apps like Google Street View already exist, but those require many, many shots and have much more room for image stitching errors (in addition to the ample time needed to capture a whole set of photos). Currently, other stand-alone consumer-grade products for capturing 360-photos/videos are costly (as much as a mid-range flagship smartphone).

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you.

• taotao Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like this feature, but not at the expense of others.  Case and point:  Samsung Galaxy S7 supposedly being the ultimate phone, yet doesn't have a top notch DAC.

• I'm not at all interested in dual cameras. I think you should keep the regular camera for the flagship and make another camera-centric phone.

• Only if it allowed for something special, like ultra wide angle or 3D pictures. 

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think dual camera setups are quite appealing, when implemented properly.

This discussion has been closed.