Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Should ZTE create a phone with higher specs?

msieger2018msieger2018 United StatesPosts: 104 ✭✭✭✭

Should ZTE create a phone with higher specs? 13 votes

Yes- 8 gb ram
30% 4 votes
Yes 4k screen
23% 3 votes
Yes HDR screen
7% 1 vote
Higher gHz processor
7% 1 vote
Thunderbolt 3
0% 0 votes
No
30% 4 votes
I don't understand any of these specs
0% 0 votes

Comments

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, just because.  Lol!

***Disclaimer....please note I'm just trying to spark conversation.***

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,253 mod

I voted No based on the selection as I feel  8gb of ram is way too much over kill right now and I don't see the benefit in a 4K sreen as 2K looks amazing and there isn't much of a difference  between the two on a smartphone that one cane actually see.  Every year the processor is updated so as I voted No, I still believe that ZTE should keep doing what its doing by providing flagship level top tier specs and hardware at an affordable price. q

• johnorionjohnorion New YorkPosts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

lol I put higher ghz processor because that is about the only thing here that will really change as time goes by.

8g ram ... useless at this time... maybe in 5-6 years it may have some use but right now .. just a waste of money just like the 6g model of the Axon 7. The apps now don't even come close to using the 4g the phone already has and unless you are some very very niche situation .. at this point in time there is no need for any more that 4g... then again .. im not a big "phone gamer" so maybe you would use more ram when running some massive game .. maybe when daydream comes out .. my views my change .... we will have to see the ram usage running that.

4k screen ..again not necessary with a 5.5" screen .. you probably wouldn't notice the difference but it will use more battery ... again .. maybe daydream would change my views on that ... not sure ...

HDR screen ... maybe ... but haven't seen enough with HDR to know if it would really benefit a phone screen that much.

Thunderbolt 3 ... again maybe in the future it would be helpful but right now ... its just starting to gain popularity and there isn't much use for it unless you are an apple user and want to have audio lol.

• jcadduonojcadduono Thunder Bay, ONPosts: 24 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gonna agree 8 GB RAM is not going to help for a long time. Even 6 GB was only to make the device appeal to folks distracted by other 6 GB RAM devices.

4K screen is what I'm all for, but for this we'll need a CPU upgrade. Snapdragon 820 doesn't cut it with its Adreno 530.

The Mali-G71 definitely brings huge improvements for 4K but isn't compatible with Snapdragon. I'd imagine it would be harder for ZTE to license Samsung's Exynos processors or HiSilicon's Kirin processors which are now set on taking advantage of Mali-G71, so ZTE will be stuck waiting for SD835 and hope that Adreno improves by then, or that Qualcomm adopts something better like nVidia Pascal.

All that being said, 4K screen will only be useful for VR.

I love VR, and with 4K and some serious GPU horsepower people can stop calling it a gimmick.

HDR screen...eh? Don't see anything useful there. Like 8 GB RAM, content isn't available to take advantage of it.

Thunderbolt 3? lol

This discussion has been closed.