Would you be interested in a ZTE smartwatch?

johnorionjohnorion New YorkPosts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>I was going to apply for a beta but they asked a bunch of questions that I was unable to answer because ... lol ... I don't do much of the things they were asking about <span __jive_emoticon_name="grin" __jive_macro_name="emoticon" class="jive_emote jive_macro" data-hasrefreshed="true" data-renderedposition="10.01666259765625_1107.933349609375_16_16" src="https://assets2.jiveon.com/core/2016.3.4.0.efc1903/images/emoticons/grin.png"></span> but in some of the questions ... it was asking a lot about smartwatches ... so I decided to make this poll</p><p></p><p>I just bought a LG Watch Urbane and ... I'm getting used to it. I am missing some things that my Pebble had. I wish the Urbane had a bit better battery life and I could find a sleep/activity tracker that was as well set up as the Pebble .. but since I'm new to Android Wear, I'm sure I will figure out something eventually.  I would be interested if ZTE released a smartwatch.</p><p></p><p>Things I would like to see would be a watch with a battery that can last at least more than a day ... one you don't have to charge 2 times a day since I like to track my sleep and the Urbane will not have enough charge by the time I go to bed to last all night so I often have to charge it when I get up and then again usually around mid evening so it will last through the night.</p><p></p><p>I would also like to see a sleep/activity tracker that is always monitoring and you don't have to tell it you are going to sleep. This was one thing I loved about the Pebble is .. if I happened to fall asleep in front of my computer in the middle of the day ... it would register it as a nap and when I went to bed at night it would mark my sleep time as well as how many times I woke up in the night. The urbane doesn't have any option like this .. I use Sleep as Android but you have to launch it before you go to sleep and it doesn't seem really accurate at seeing when I wake up in the middle of the night .. plus it doesn't give me an accurate sleep record because I can go to bed at 11 PM and start it but not actually fall asleep until 4AM and if I get up at 7AM it says I slept for 8 hours but only slept for 3.</p><p></p><p>lol .. don't even know if they are actually planning on making a smart watch. The beta I was signing up for .. the questions may have just been there to see if there was still an interest in smartwatches (some would say smartwatches are a dead fad)... but I figured I would like to see others opinions <span __jive_emoticon_name="grin" __jive_macro_name="emoticon" class="jive_emote jive_macro" data-hasrefreshed="true" data-renderedposition="477.1166687011719_839.6666870117188_16_16" src="https://assets2.jiveon.com/core/2016.3.4.0.efc1903/images/emoticons/grin.png"></span></p></body>

Would you be interested in a ZTE smartwatch? 66 votes

Yes
54% 36 votes
No
18% 12 votes
Would be a nice addition to the ZTE line but I'm not interested in a smartwatch
18% 12 votes
Would be a waste of time for ZTE, no one wears smartwatches anymore
7% 5 votes
Other - please leave a comment
1% 1 vote

Comments

• johnorionjohnorion New YorkPosts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are probably right there ... it seems that most people .. once they have a cell phone .. seem to stop wearing watches .. they can get the time from the phone ... I guess its just people like me with a niche reason to have a smart watch ... I like the ability to control my music and see my messages when I'm biking or walking without having to fumble with my phone and take the chance of dropping it (as I think you have seen me mention before) ... lol .. when you have your phone in your hand and you hit a nice pothole you didn't expect .. your first reaction is to grab the handlebars and usually whatever is in your hands goes flying and in my area ... we have potholes that can swallow some small cars hehe

• looks profitable to me.

Report: Smartwatch sales aren’t falling — shipments increased 60% year-on-year | TechCrunch

it all depends on how appealing the smart watch is. Like would get one if its both a smart watch and a fitness device.

Thanks for the link .. I did feel that they were dying but it seems that I was off with my thinking ... yeah .. I loved my Pebble which was basically a stripped down smart watch / fitness device. It was really decent for sleep monitoring and activity monitoring. I have found the LG watch has more "smart phone" features but it isn't very good for sleep monitoring and I guess ok for activity monitoring

It would be nice if there was a merge between a smart watch and a Pebble or maybe one of the other fitness "band" type of devices .. that and of course a bit more battery life .. though I am enjoying the OLED screen over the Pebble .. I can read my notifications much better on this LG than I could with my Pebble

Another downfall for me is price .. I cant see paying the same amount for a watch as I did for my phone which is why I ended up going with the LG instead of a Moto360 .. the 360 was just too expensive.

I guess its hard to really say .. there hasn't been any new watches out there lately .. well other than failstarter ..i mean kickstarter ... and stuff like Apple .. well ... they may be dropping because people are realizing how much garbage Apple products are and the other sales may be lower because people already have smart watches and they haven't come up with newer versions so there hasn't been a need to upgrade like with phones.  And I think a lot is due to price ... like I say .. I didn't go for the Moto because it was almost as much as my phone.. at least the LG was 150 bucks .. that seemed more reasonable .. I think the watches are too high priced for people to consider them a "value" to have unless they have special needs (like mine). At the prices the "name brand" ones are going for .. they just don't seem worth it to most people ... if they would come down to more like 150 to 250 .. I think they would probably have more popularity... I may be wrong there also lol ... or I may be a bit bias because I love my smartwatch .. it did take me quite a while to convince myself that it would be useful and not just an expensive "toy" but ever since I got the Pebble and now this one ... I love it and it has become something I use daily and would really miss it if I didn't have it available .. sure i could get by .. but ... the convince has made it worth it for me

• vanguyvanguy USAPosts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm an old geezer. Have a hard enough time viewing things on a 5.5" smartphone screen. Trying to look at a 1.5 X 1.5" screen and I'd go blind soon thereafter.

It also seems to be a little redundant to have a smartphone in your pocket and a watch on your wrist. Too much for old geezers to keep up with.

lol.. I felt the same way .. but I can actually see the watch pretty good.. I was surprised because well .. I'm an old geezer too .. well somewhat old (50) .. and my eyes aren't like they used to be .. I wanted a larger phone .. used to have a galaxy s3 and I couldn't see the text on it unless I wore the cheap pharmacy magnifying glasses . The Axon is much better but I also still changed the font to large to make it easier to see .... surprisingly enough .. I can read the watch notifications actually easier than on my phone .. the text seems a bit larger on my watch lol .. crazy right .. lol .. the Pebble was horrible tho .. unless I was in super bright light it was very hard to read. I guess my eyes are weird .. or maybe that is just the way it is but .. I find that if it is dim light my vision is more blurry. If I need to read small text on a package or something I have to bring it over to a light source to be able to read it

• Unless I'm talking to my indestructible robot car I have no need to talk into a watch.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,247 mod

I would love to see a ZTE smart watch in the U. S.  I had the Moto 360 and I did like it and Android wear was OK at the time.  But yes battery needed some improvement.  After several updates I was able to get a full day with out a charge.  I sold my Moto when I got my Fitbit Blaze.  A lot slimmer and it does not run Android wear but what it does do,  it does well and the battery lasts me several days!  It's not uncommon for me to have 3+ solid days of use.  It's main focus is fitness and well telling time   Also has a timer,  stop watch and notifications from my phone,  music controls.  So far I love it..... Until the next smart watch   .

• viper43viper43 Tampa,FloridaPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭

1.4 inch round AMOLED display with Gorilla glass SR+ and ambient light sensor (under display) Mic and speaker, bluetooth 5.0 Wifi and under $300.00 and running Android Wear.

• same here. i have had the original microsoft band and primarily use it for fitness tracking like steps, quality of sleep, exercise, etc. I do enjoy the notifications and basic interactions. I don't see myself playing any games on a watch.  I am looking for a replacement for my band but i am not sure if i want to go android wear at the moment. Garmin Fenix 3 HR seems real nice but a bit pricey. Lets see how android wear 2.0 goes.

• vanguyvanguy USAPosts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm already a charter member

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

With GPS and waterproofing, yes. Otherwise not so much.

• I had both LG and Moto first gen smart watches. I got sick of having to charge it every 2-3 days and give it away to friends.  I just wear a simple smart band now that last at least 1 month. 

2 to 3 days .. man that would be nice .. lol I have to charge this basically 2 times a day .. I maybe get one full day out of it depending on when I charge it ... and how long I'm up and using it ... then again ... it is brand new for me so I am playing with it a lot .. after a week to two maybe I will get some better life out of it

• The screen set to off. It didn't last a day if it was set to on all the time with low brightness.

yeah ... I have turned my screen off too .. that does seem to make it last longer .. but like I say .. I have been monkeying around with it .. trying different apps to find the ones what work best for my needs and stuff like that so I have been using the screen a lot more than I would normally ... I figure when I finally get things the way I want and it becomes a tool instead of a new toy ... I'm sure I will be able to get a day or more out of it ... I do have it monitoring my heart every 5 minutes  all the time so that probably uses a lot of battery too. I will probably shut that off and only use it when I'm in situations where I need to monitor it but right now .. .I'm still playing

• I'm interested in purchasing a smartwatch eventually. It would definitely be nice to have a matching watch for the axon 7 I own. Any recommendations on current smartwatches currently on the market?

​ check out there are a few talked about that seem pretty good. I ended up getting the LG Urbane for 150 dollars and so far. I like it but as you see by the link I came from a Pebble... which was good in its own way but not like an android wear watch so I have nothing to really compare it too to say if it is "good" or if there is something better for the same money .  My impressions of it so far is that it was well worth the money and I'm still discovering what I can do with it

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,768 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I think that if ZTE comes out with  a watch that has all the functionality of the major players but a fraction of the cost yes they would do good.

Also ZTE would have to have something special that stands out above other brands

• My first gen moto 360 is getting old.  If the price is right, I would certainly be interested.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Couldn't you say the same thing about phones?  ZTE manages to see their phones with similar specs to the big players for about 1/2 the price.  Why not a watch?

That being said, I have a Samsung Gear S2 Classic, which I love.  I'm cosidering moving to the S3 Classic, but I need to see it because it's bigger and I'm not sure I'll like it.

• maineferraromaineferraro MainePosts: 240 ✭✭✭✭✭

i would be very interested in a smart watch , they have a lot of the apps i use and would make a lot of things easier

• Sounds great I will look it up and see. Thanks.

Looks like I was correct in my assumptions .. looks like ZTE announced at CES that they are coming out with a watch sometime this year Android Wear watches ready for prime time? ZTE thinks so - CNET . I hope it has better fitness / sleep tracking than what is available now in the "android wear" market. The Pebble was great at sleep tracking .. it would see when I would wake up in the middle of the night and even if I dozed off sometime during the day ... the LG Urbane I have now .. I'm a bit disappointed in because of how bad it is for tracking my sleep. The only app available is Sleep as Android (that I can find) and that app is a complete joke. It does monitor the heart rate but the charts it shows are a joke and look like they are just randomly generated and not actually following anything. It doesn't show when I wake up in the middle of the night like the Pebble did and even worse .. it shows me in deep sleep when I know I had woken up and it even shows my heart rate at 95 yet it still says I was in deep sleep..just horrible.

Even tho I just bought this LG .. I will be looking forward to see what ZTE has to offer and probably will get it when it comes out.. I will be more than happy to work through the 'growing pains' as I am with the Axon 7 if they can do the same as they did with this phone and come out with a watch with great hardware and at a reasonable price.