Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Would You Be Interested In Multi-Window Support

yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>Phone screens are becoming bigger and bigger and sometimes it's just hard to reach all that real estate. Multi-window support can help but has it been implemented correctly? Do have you experience using multi-window support or multitasking with more than one application on your screen at any given time?</p><p></p><p>This week, Consumer Labs would like to learn more about your interest on multi-window support and your usage scenarios.</p><p></p><p>Please select one of the options below and reply with your reasoning. If you are interested in multi-window support, let us know about your top three usage scenarios for this feature.  There is no correct answer, but please provide sound reasoning to support your selection.</p></body>

Would You Be Interested In Multi-Window Support 199 votes

Yes, I am quite interested in multi-window
75% 150 votes
Somewhat interested
15% 31 votes
Not at all
9% 18 votes

Comments

• coolgeekcoolgeek Indianapolis, INPosts: 17

I had a phone with multi-window support for years (Galaxy Note) and didn't use it once in practice. IMHO the screen has to be over 8" before multi windows become practical.

• sgarrandsgarrand MA, USAPosts: 177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Multi-window support allows for YouTube to play uninterrupted while doing something else (Reddit for instance). I don't purchase YouTube Red so background playing isn't a thing for me.

• jimmyjimmy Posts: 169 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are apps on the play store the let you multi window and play YouTube videos in the background

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I love the idea of multi window support its very convenient to be able to watch a video and also play a game like words with friends or check email while watching a video etc., I used to use an app that allowed my videos to float around the screen with an adjustable window and I loved it!!  

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used Samsung, LG and HTC phones and tablets. They all sport multi-window, and the only time i used multi-window is on the tablets. I also have Nexus 6 and never once used multi-window feature. Yes, I initially tested the feature on Nexus device, but i just like full screen applications. It would be a great feature to sport on tablets, but on smartphones, I rarely would use it. I did went for first option, because ZTE needs to get on this no matter what. I may not be interested in this feature, but I am certainly sure users would like to see this feature on the phones and tablets. I say two thumbs up for adding this feature! I am looking forward to see it on a tablet.

• sgarrandsgarrand MA, USAPosts: 177 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am aware of some of those apps but I like native multi-window support.

• I've used multiwindow on other devices and I find it a useful feature. My most frequent use case was watching YouTube while messaging in Telegram. It's also very useful for copying reservations or other information into an email. As a headline Nougat feature, I think it's important to the modern Android experience.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I answered yes but feel like this isn't that useful of a question. Nougat comes with multi-window built in. Every device you make and release from now on should have it. That is unless you are wanting to strip it out. That would be a huge mistake, so don't think about that.

My main use for this is watching Youtube videos while chatting with friends. My secondary use for this is reading news while chatting with friends. I don't think I have a third scenario yet. I feel like this would be more useful on a tablet though. I can't wait to try out a Nougat tablet.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I answered yes, because multi-window (along with the convenience keyboard/mouse input) is one of the major advantages that a traditional computer has over a phone. *IF* somebody could figure out how to do it properly on a phone, it would be a huge step towards making phones actually useful for getting work done. But I'm skeptical that it can be done, at least not in the way it is traditionally thought of. The implementation in Nougat is a small step in the right direction, but it's still laborious to use and quite cramped. A truly workable solution would need a second screen--whether it's projected out of a tiny pico-projector in the side of the phone or cast to a nearby monitor/tv/second phone, or whatever else. Anyway, here is what I would use it for:

1. Multi-tasking, i.e., two totally different tasks such as watching a movie and writing an email.

2. Writing a document while viewing a related document/image.

3. Video/sound editing, with the editing controls in one window and the final product in another window (Nintendo DS style multi-window).

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is something that is needed, especially if the size of each window can be freely resized. Sometimes I want to watch a youtube video while surfing the web, or quickly look something up while viewing a PDF.

In addition to the split screen functionality, it would also be good to see more of the stock apps, take on other multi-tasking oriented functions. For example, hover windows for video players (as sometimes just having a tiny video playing in the corner is enough, especially for vlogs or video podcasts.

While android 7 offers these functions, ZTE should take it a step further and improve on google's design with a more utilitarian focus, by making all of the window borders significantly thinner in order to maximize the usable screen space.

Many people like a pure android experience, but one thing that has also been made clear, is that people do not mind enhancements to the vanilla experience where minor annoyances are mitigated. For example, some people do not like how the animation scale goes in 0.5X increments, thus some popular 3rd party ROMs, will give 0.1x or even 0.01X increments. In the case of a split screen, minor tweaks to simply maximize the usable screen space, will be useful.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm only somewhat interested; definitely a nice feature to have so the user can choose to use it whenever they like, but personally, I have not used it even though my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge have that feature built-in.

I guess I would only find it useful for having a messaging app open and a browser to search info at the same time when someone sends over something that I might need to look up. Maybe web browsing and watching YT video would be another use, but still, on a small screen device like a phone, I don't really think I would use multi-window to watch video and browse the internet, as I would think I prefer a tablet or even a laptop to do such a thing.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had the support on other devices and never used it. Personally it is not something I need.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As others pointed out, considering the code is available in Android 7.0 I would be very disappointed to see mutli window support not included. ZTE should keep 1 major rule in mind at all times NEVER remove features from stock Android. If its included in the most basic of android builds then why even think of taking it out.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you. If it is part of Stock Android it should be automatically included. The user can decide if they want to use it or not.

• I could use multiwindow support weekly to transfer photos into forms or messages (e.g.,  I'm performing human OCR on barcodes, model numbers, settings, or measurements).  Instead I have to switch between apps,  which is significantly slower.  Multiwindow is the one feature I miss from my LG G3.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If it can be done, Why not? Yet as long as the performance doesn't become hindered.  

I do multiple things at once on my phone. 

• I would only be interested in multi-window support on tablets.   On phones the screen size isn't large enough for me to be able to see or use two apps splitting the screen.

• maineferraromaineferraro MainePosts: 240 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like the idea of multi windows so i can listen to music on you tube while working on the phone , but I almost never have more then 1 window open at a time

• I believe that the multitasking function is as important as the mipop that comes with the phone the screen is big and I miss not having it I hope y'all bring it in January and ad your own productive taste to it in from Trinidad probably the only owner of one in this island and I'm happier than most with other brands please keep improving

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Multi window support would be a godsend. I wish I had it everytime I use the calculator or when I'm playing  a game and I want to pull up a browser for  a hints. Or when I'm sharing links from a web page to this forum.

This feature is the main reason why I purchased a Galaxy Tab S.

• jabird101jabird101 Cleveland, OH, USAPosts: 225 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a feature link this on my Galaxy s3 after one of the updates.  It just isn't useful on the small phone screen.  Now on a 10 in tablet, I like it. 

• kyngoflyonzkyngoflyonz United StatesPosts: 183 ✭✭✭✭✭

How could the idea of multi tasking be a bad or negative idea is beyond me. This would be great. Especially since Nougat has this function built-in.

• Yeah it's kinda true that u need a big display for multi window to be useful but my Axon 7 has a 5.5 inch display which is still pretty big! But you won't know the usefulness of something unless u try them. So it would be a good feature to have because some of us won't use it but some will! So it's best to have.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

It wasn't uncommon for me to use multi windows with my LG G3. It was one of the main reasons why I bought it. In practice it works out better on a tablet, but when the screen is that big, I prefer using a Windows tablet. In terms of productivity having multiple windows open on a tablet, nothing beats a Windows tablet.  There are great ones that can be had for under $100.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Winbook TW801, NuVision tm800w560l are the two that I own. I also had a Dell Venue 8 Pro, but sold it because it didn't have enough ports (only one micro usb port). The Winbook has a full size USB 3.0 port, a mini Hdmi port, and a micro usb port, in addition to 8 hour battery life. It's my favorite and can be bought from Micro Center for $99. I just bought the NuVision for $50 as part of Microsoft's "12 Days of Christmas" sale. It only has micro usb, mini Hdmi, and 4 hour battery life, but it's got a 4k screen. Also, it's thin and light.

• Voted somewhat interested.  I had it before with my samsung.  I seldom used it. 

This discussion has been closed.