Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Which design do you prefer for the interaction of showing a password?

yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p><span lang="EN-US" style="font-family: 'Cambria','serif';">Consumer Labs would like to learn about which design you prefer for the interaction of showing passwords. </span></p><p></p><p><span lang="EN-US" style="font-family: 'Cambria','serif';">In order to optimize the interaction of showing the password when users create an account with visual input, we have a new design and would like to know your preference. For the new design, we would use an“ Eye” icon to indicate to show the password or not. The older design we used was a checkbox. </span></p><p></p><p><span lang="EN-US" style="font-family: 'Cambria','serif';">Please: 1) Select one of the options below for which design you prefer and 2) reply with your reasoning and tell us about your preferences for the new  "eye" design. </span></p></body>

Which design do you prefer for the interaction of showing a password? 125 votes

New design with icon indication
71% 89 votes
Old design with checkbox
28% 36 votes

Comments

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like the old style better. it seems easier for people to understand.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I also prefer the old design, or at most, a combination of the 2, for example, if the text field is not in focus, then have the check box, but if it is actively being used, then allow the eye icon to be displayed, thus no scrolling to quickly show the password to ensure you typed everything correctly.

My reasoning for this, is that there are some applications where the UI is designed in such a way where there is not enough available screen space to display the checkbox under the password field.

Another reason for this, is that touch can be inaccurate at times, and sometimes you just want to see the password without accidentally tapping the password field and bringing the keyboard up again.

• vanguyvanguy USAPosts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old style for me. New style is not as intuitive. Some may not catch on.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Old style seems better as it is straightforward for most users. Some people wouldn't know what an "eye" is when it is next to the password.

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. What a useless poll for something that people don't care for.

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the old style is easier to understand overall.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,253 mod

I like the old style and don't see a need to change it, that being said if it was changed to the other option I wouldn't mind it either. 

• x40jamesx40james Gilbert, AZPosts: 1

New "eye" layout looks nicer IMO and saves space

Yeah, I agree they should design for the average user. I don't think the new design is particularly difficult to interpret and some other apps are using this design which may require the space saving. The question was just which one we prefer and I still think the eye design is better.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really doesn't matter to me! As long as there is an option to view password, i am ok with either way. I really like the new icons such as battery, clock, etc.

Cool. I'm not going to try and convince you which is better for you or anyone else. I stated my opinion.

I don't particularly mind how many people here "above average users". The whole point of the poll is to get everyone's opinion, not to make everyone think the same thing.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

We have members of varying levels of expertise, from beginner to expert in this community. They polls are to get all of our opinions, not what we think someone else is going to like or want.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like the eye. Just visually more appealing to me.

• I am a part of this community and I am an average user. I'm not a developer, don't have any training in IT or computers. Why would you think that only above average users are part of this community?

• I'm an average user and I like the eye. Generalizing and type casting what you think "the average user" is isn't the point here. They want YOUR opinion, not what you think other people are going to like.

I did not take what was saying as only average users are part of this community at all. I just wanted to point this out.

I have to chime in here because I made the same comment when I voted. I feel the same way does. I voted for the old style because I do like it better and it is also my opinion that it is more user friendly. There is no guess work what the eye means. I have seen other area's of the software that are not even used because somebody did not understand a symbol within it. Of course this is my opinion and you are right that's all ZTE was looking for.

• Sorry if I misconstrued the comment, but he did say, and I quote "since people in this forum are above average users.." I was merely pointing out that is not the case.

• I received an email invite from ZTE due to the fact I registered my phone when I purchased it. There was also a story about beta testing software for ZTE on MSN and being an owner of the phone I clicked on the link and signed up. That's how I got here.

This discussion has been closed.