Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Which design do you prefer for the interaction of showing a password?

2»

Comments

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I must agree. I understood the comment as you did.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

no problem, we are all on the same team

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

• timmyjimotimmyjimo Seattle, WAPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭

The eye is ripped off of LastPass.

• watcherwatcher San Francisco Bay AreaPosts: 11

I like having the show/hide option on the same line as the password.  Having the checkbox below the dividing line does not seem intuitive to me.  I probably wouldn't see it until after I had already typed the pw.

That being said, I'm not sure how many people would immediately know that the eye symbol means to show the pw.  I don't think it would have been readily apparent to me.  In all honesty, I would prefer a hybrid solution.  I would prefer to have the word "Show" alternate with the word "Hide" in that spot where the eye symbols are shown.

• tfrank85tfrank85 Fort Lauderdale, FlPosts: 76 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old style is easier for people to understand.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I voted for the new one. In general, I don't like it when text elements are replaced by minimalist icons--after three years now, I'm still getting used to the copy/cut/paste icons used in Android. In this particular case, however, I think the meaning of the icon is very clear and it's a more efficient use of space.

• chui84chui84 Houston,TxPosts: 28

I prefer the eye design for password design,its modern and visual indicator of what happens.

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 187 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally prefer the eye design. I have seen a lot of different websites and companies start using the eye so I believe its appropriate for ZTE to do the same.

• g808g808 United StatesPosts: 69 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the new style as I'm seeing that on more devices, so at least for me, I'm used to it. It also takes up less UI real estate.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like the New Style. 

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the new style, it feels more universal. I have seen it on other devices and websites.

• jinkiesjinkies Marlboro, NYPosts: 11

I voted for the old design. It is clear and simple. The eye is definitely a cool icon however not everyone is as familiar with it. As someone who is just getting into the Z community, it's the first time I have seen it used. New users may use trial and error to figure it out. Unless you combined the old and the new and put the eye icon next to the phrase "show password" when they touched it.

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

I like the new style.  Most applications are moving to this type of design so adoption seems like a good progression.

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the old style. I think both are easy enough to figure out, but the symbol might confuse some.

• snowcatsnowcat Posts: 21 ✭✭✭✭✭

Icons like this have the problem that they aren't clear on the intention. Do they show the current state, or are they a command to change. In similar situations I have seen both, an icon that shows the current state, and if you click it, it will change state, or as shown here, an Icon stat indicates what will happen when you click it. In my opinion this uncertainty always creates confusion. The design should take that into account.

Having said that, I do like having the space savings and the close proximity of the icon to the PW... but I can't really vote for it the way it is shown here.

• batman101batman101 Posts: 134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like the newer style is a bit more simplistic and straight forward, which I like.

• emouseemouse New YorkPosts: 1

I like the old design as it's more straightforward. Also, I just don't like the eye icon.

• The old version works just fine, I don't see any reason in changing it.

• darkdemyzdarkdemyz Goldsboro NCPosts: 0

I like the new design, I feel people aren't giving enough credit.  If one must input a password I'm thinking they have enough intelligence to guess what the eye is for. I personally like icons as it provides ease of use as well as save the individual time in reading. People want convenience not time spent in reading and it does not matter how many words is presented. Average user wants what's easy, the new design provides that.

This discussion has been closed.