Bits And Bytes (week of 1/15)

13»

Comments

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I know, I've been in the Stock android camp since I joined here also. Mifavor wouldn't be too bad if they left the stock Android features alone and just added the gestures, voice controls ect. in there.

• I would love to see the OEM take on a project that so many modders have already done, make a custom ROM for their phone. The OEM could have a repository, or "store" where the community of modders can submit custom Roms and tweeks. And the OEM make it easy to install these Roms, like the device coming with an unlocked boot loader or at least sanction the unlock process like Motorola and HTC already do. Perhaps even develop their own custom recovery for the phones.

A beta program of that calibour would be beautiful.

• OEMs/ODMs claim they don't allow bootloader unlocks/root because of just that..."security and a negative impact on the user experience..." However it really comes down to money. They don't want fradulent warranty returns etc due to someone bricking their device. Which I totally understand and agree with. But that being said I'd waive my warranty for a bootloader unlock, similar to the program Motorola and LG has.

• I voted stock android since I don't really need any of the features of the custom roms. In my experience, stock also means more stable rom and faster updates to new android releases. With that said, I don't mind custom roms based on stock as long as:

• Features from stock are not removed or significantly altered
    • Added features are optional (can be ignored or disabled completely) and does not interfere with stock
    • I can get the stock look and feel
  • Well, stock but with all of the Qualcomm and Dolby enhancements at least.  That proprietary stuff I do want my phone to leverage.

• CyanogenMod really nails the only 2 reasons I like a custom ROM.  Enhanced application privacy controls and blue light filtering at the kernel level.

• thebigguythebigguy Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

I voted for custom ROM built on stock Android.

The stability and frequent security upgrades to stock Android apply and should anyone decide to go with a custom ROM it will have a good secure base.

• I prefer stock expirence. What I would like would be a dark/black theme throughout the OS.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree the black theme would be great.

• jonathanjonathan Sugar Land, TXPosts: 5 ✭✭✭✭

Being stock Android could allow patches to come more often to follow the pixel line. It simplifies development on zte side and if bootloader is unlocked, users can still use  custom ROM if they want. Way more flexible.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for that info, I love black themes especially on the screen the Axon 7 has due to the battery saving. I am using all apps you recommended except ZenUI Launcher as I use Nova Prime and already have it themed to black. The file manager indeed is a very beautiful app. Thanks again man

• rlynnsiirlynnsii Ms. United StatesPosts: 4

I chose stock Android. While a custom mod (based off stock Android) would be great. I haven't enough experience with it & would feel more comfortable not having to install the mod so myself. 

To be clear, I don't always have access to a PC at the moment {mines done for} & that also plays into my decision.

¿What about updates though - would OTA update be available for custom mod?

If by custom mod you mean a custom ROM based on stock Android that is modded then no you wouldn't be able to get an OTA update as it could possibly brick your phone, so you would have to do it manually.

• rlynnsiirlynnsii Ms. United StatesPosts: 4

Hmmm.. I believe your right {about what I meant that is }. I was kinda hoping that ZTE would be able to incorporate some fashion of? Idk the more I think about it, I realize the impossibility.. oh, dreams!

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I can only choose one I would go with stock Android without any bloatware. More options are always better. My favorite part of Android is the ability to customize it.

In theory ZTE could make it where you have a choice to run their customized OEM Rom or stock Android with a theming engine built in so you could choose to use a 3rd party theme to your liking much like other stock Android builds in various forums, or just run it plain stock Android. With stock Android the customizations that can be made are nearly unlimited...

I agree 100%

• maineferraromaineferraro MainePosts: 240 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually like it , and havent had problems with it

• vanguyvanguy USAPosts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't vote because I'm not sure exactly where I would fall among the listed choices.

We seem to use the term "stock Android" quite loosely. From discussions I've read here on the forum, people have varied opinions as to what "stock android" is. It seems to mean different things to each person.

To me, "Stock Android" makes me think of the basic or barebones OS. (ie: few options and few customizations) This is certainly not the experience I want. I think the more features, more options, and more customization you offer the more it appeals to the user.

Every OEM develops their own variation of Android. They add unique features and try to design an eye appealing UI. Lets face it Touchwiz is what makes Samsung, Samsung. Sense is the identity of HTC. I truly believe that repeat buyers of these phone brands do so because of the look and feel as well as feature set of the phone. LG probably has the most customizable UI of all phones and that is what keeps people coming back to them.

In the end I don't think folks really care if the OS is "stock" or a unique skin, as long as it is eye appealing and has abundant options and customization. And above all the OS needs to optimized so that it is smooth, fluid and no lag or hesitation. (MiFavor does this well)

Here are things that I think are important in an OS:

Eye Appeal- a pleasant UI that has appealing colors in themes, menu system, etc

No bloatware- no OEM branded apps that aren't necessary

Focus on  essential apps- Contacts, Dialer, SMS all need to work flawlessly with many options and customizations

Rich Features - Mi Voice, Gestures, Customizable Navigation keys, are all good in MiFavor

Responsive- The OS is optimized and lag free

Get the basics right and people won't care what you call it.