Bits And Bytes (week of 2/5)

petershihpetershih ZTE FanaticUnited StatesPosts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>Welcome to our weekly <a _jive_internal="true" href="https://community.zteusa.com/message/50320">Bits And Bytes</a> poll and discussion! Give your honest opinion, debate ferociously, and respect each other at all times...</p><p></p><p><strong>Question</strong>: If you had to choose one improvement for the ZMAX Pro, which would it be?</p><p></p><p><strong>Context</strong>: While a mid-range phone cannot compete head to head with flagship devices, there may be one or two things that could sway some people to try it out. Based on your personal experience and/or reviews and specs, what is the most important improvement for the ZMAX Pro that you care about most? While it's tough to pick just one, please select the most relevant option and reply with your top three.</p><p></p><p><strong>Action</strong>: 1. Select one of the options below and 2. reply to justify your reasoning. Although there is no correct answer, please provide sound reasoning to support your selection. After a week or so, your Mod Squad will soon identify and reward those with the most thoughtful responses!</p></body>

Bits And Bytes (week of 2/5) 33 votes

Better camera
15% 5 votes
Better battery life
0% 0 votes
Faster processor
18% 6 votes
Higher RAM and memory
21% 7 votes
Higher screen-to-body ratio
12% 4 votes
Inclusion of NFC
12% 4 votes
Better software (OS)
9% 3 votes
Other - please reply below
12% 4 votes

Comments

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I voted for a better processor.   The ZMAX Pro is a really.. Really good device and the only thing to me that is holding it back is the processor speed and performance.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,257 mod

I selected other,  I live the phone only wish that huge display was matched with a great audio experience as well.  That and the audio on video recordings is a little weak.  But I think it would be very beneficial to have a better multimedia experience with some better audio.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I voted higher screen to body ratio, since this seems to be the trend now for 2017; would definitely be nice to have even a bigger screen in the chassis of the ZMAX Pro, as I've been looking for a decent phablet phone

• vldvld Denver, COPosts: 25

So if I'm buying a mid-range phone, I am thinking like the iPhone SE. I would like it to have a very good camera, be highly functional, and be reasonable size, right now I think the zMAX Pro is way too big. For me it makes phablet it Go Way Beyond phablet. I like phones that I can fit in my pocket. Always have. I also like them to have a great camera. Right now to get a great camera you have to buy the iPhone 7 + which is huge. The pixel has a great camera and reasonably sized until you put a case on it. Yes you do have to tweak the camera and I've written about tweaking cameras. Being a photographer I like my phone to operate as both a smartphone and a camera. No it's not going to operate like a DSLR, but I would like it to be two things in one. I think the zMAX is a great phone but it's huge. It's definitely noticeable and brings attention to ZTE.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,362 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

given to the price of the phone, I think it offers a lot of bang for the buck. Personally, I think the phone's screen is too big. I would much prefer to have it offer a more compact device while offering a better quality display.

I think for a budget/midrange device, it does not really need to compete against the big player but it should compact, offers good battery life, display, and able to do simple tasks such as multimedia playback and light multi-tasking is all it need. A decent enough camera that is able to shoot picture without much of the need for user-input is good. I think finding a balance of how to utilize the underlying hardware effective and efficiently is what really make a budget device stand out.

• vldvld Denver, COPosts: 25

Yes but I was comparing it to the iPhone SE. An iPhone SE still has an awesome camera. A friend of mine captured a moose walking across the field with a telephoto on an iPhone 4S or 5. That's an older phone then we're talking about right now and  about phones in the future now. A mid-range should still be able to do that. ZTE is asking for our feedback on future phones. That was my feedback. Phones have only gone up and up in price. I think if we're going to continue to carry phones in our pockets that are large not only should they be able to make phone calls, but they should be able to take a really good picture that can still be retouched in Photoshop or whatever you use on your desktop to retouch.

• batman101batman101 Posts: 134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Processor cause I could deal with everything else. I mean naturally battery, camera etc, is gonna get small enhancements anyway on the next iteration.  So if anything is gonna get a dramatic improvement I would like it to be the processor.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This was kinda tough because I've never used this phone before and I believe most would just say all of the above. I ended up choosing camera because of my Nexus 6P, and here is why. It's running a much slower processor than most current flagships but it's still plenty fast for me.

The battery life has never been good and since Nougat is down right terrible. Yet I can't give up this phone because it has the best camera I've ever used on a phone. That shows to me just how important the camera is on a phone to me personally.

Sure I also enjoy the closer to stock experience and fast updates. Yet if there was another phone with slightly worse software but had an amazing camera I'd probably switch to it. I've tried the Samsung S7, LG G5, and LG V20. They all had very nice cameras but head to head with my Nexus 6P I preferred it each time. Even with those phones being faster and having much better battery life.

• chadavis72@gmail.com[email protected] Springfield, MOPosts: 19

Everyone here seems to have valid arguments, but I choose more RAM. This phone would be awesome as is with more RAM. 3gb RAM on this would've been great with 32gb ROM. Gameplay suffers on graphically intense games. Multitasking is okay, but would be much improved. Praying for Nougat for the split screen option... 

• Unlock the bootloader

• lricky89lricky89 Orlando FLPosts: 3

I personally believe if this phone had NFC would be amazing it will just make your experience with the phone that much better this phone already has some great specs for the price. If I had to choose one more option would be for more RAM I believe the internal storage is just fine but if it would have at least one more GB of ram it would be amazing

• unlocked bootloader and the ability to root the zmax pro. The last ZTE phone I will buy

• batman101batman101 Posts: 134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Processor, definitely the processor for higher speed and performance.  I love the screen size but if soft keys were added to the display and good positioning of down firing speakers.  They could dramatically increase the screen to body ratio making the phone tighter and sleek while maintaining the six inch display.

• alanhoustonalanhouston Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Looking ahead to a ZMAX Pro 2, I wish for 100% reliable wifi calling, monthly security updates, and bug fix updates at least six times a year for at least three years after the phone is released.  The Pro 2 should have the most bug free version of Nougat, given that Nougat is already a year old.

I am guessing the Pro 2 will be in stores in August 2017 and Android 8.0 Oreo will be released in September 2017 and the 8.01 bug  fixes about three months later.  So, it seems reasonable to expect the Pro 2 to receive Andoid 8.01 by June 2018.

• alanhoustonalanhouston Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As Batman noted, the six inch screen is great, but the top and bottom bezels are way larger than necessary and it would be easy to reduce the height of the phone half an inch while keeping the six inch screen.

I like keeping the soft keys on the bezel.  I have some phones with the keys on the screen and some apps make it difficult to access the keys or sometimes the area with keys will cover part of the app.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a lot of app running at once on my phone and with the trend for applications using more and more memory and RAM this is often an issue. I love an SD card, but performance does not compare to fast NAND.