Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Would You Be Interested In A Card Phone?

yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭
Consumer Labs would like to hear your thoughts on a Card Phone. A Card Phone is a ultra thin phone that you can put into your wallet. The AEKU M5 Mini Card Phone is one example that you can currently find on Amazon.Would you be interested in a card phone?Vote down below and leave your comments onThe reasons you are interested in a card phone? Could you please share your possible usage scenarios ?The reasons you are NOT interested in a card phone? What are your concerns?Do you have any suggestions or other comments on Card Phone?             There are no right or wrong answers in this survey... please feel free to share your thoughts with us. You may even have a chance to win a $25 Gift Card.

Would You Be Interested In A Card Phone? 108 votes

Yes, I am quite interested in a Card Phone
25% 27 votes
Not at all
30% 33 votes
Somewhat interested
44% 48 votes

Comments

• I am a father of 3 so this would be nice for the kids, don't want them jumping into a smartphone to fast tablet can be monitored cellphone little harder. This allows me as a parents to keep them a phone call away anywhere anytime and forbid anything was to happen they would have this on hand to call for help.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1. Card phone seems pretty interesting and maybe I would find it useful if and only if I did not bring my smartphone with me. But at the same time, I would probably need an active SIM plan to make some calls. Another scenario I think it would be useful is for those who really just want a backup device mainly for calls. I guess elderly and kids would be another useful scenario by giving a phone strictly for communication and nothing else.

2. Having an extra phone means having an additional line/service. If this is a backup phone and stays in your wallet most of the time, you might eventually forget to charge it and maybe it will be dead if it's just a backup for you in an emergency.

3. User replaceable battery or something that can be stored longer period of time if it's for backup. Maybe build a solar panel in it, as a card phone might be really power efficient with the limited features it would have, so if it can be charged and be used via solar power, it might be a worthy option.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be for my small kids.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,555 mod

Definitely like this. Going back to basics is not always a bad idea. I wouldn't hesitate in having one as a back up. Even in a wallet, without a charge, how long can that small battery take to charge  for a quick call... Day out at the beach, fishing or just offline this is perfect. No need to worry about damaging your expensive phone, but still have a way to make needed calls. I like it.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1.  Could be interested if battery life was better than the one mentioned on Amazon.  (72 hours standby)  If it could make it 120 hours (5 days) this would be really useful in my Hurricane kit down here in FL.  We were without power for a few days last summer.  Also, maybe a good thing to keep in your car emergency kit as well.  Something cheap to give to younger kids when all they need is to call you to pick them up from soccer practice or after school perhaps.

It could also be the "punishment" phone teenagers have to use when they get in trouble and you need to take their smartphones away.  At least they still have a phone to call you in case of emergencies or they need to reach you when you are at work.

2.  I would not use this as a main device of course.  If I am going to use it as a emergency phone or something, I hope that battery life and cell reception would be good.  So I don't want it to have really weak radios where you can't get any signal when you need to use it.

3.  No other thoughts.  I think this would be more of a niche product unless it's priced really well.  Maybe something only sold through a carrier as cheap $3-$5 a month add on and you get the phone for free.

• kingsmonkey123kingsmonkey123 Posts: 15 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see how this could be useful for elderly people or young children to use. Of course the device wouldn't be bought to replace my current device, Zmax Pro, but it could be of use. Young children can use this as a starter phone until they are mature enough for a smartphone. As long as the device gets a good signal and has enough battery to be useful I would indeed consider this device

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I can see the appeal for parents with kids.

But as a single adult male, nope. I am too reliant on apps that I consider essential ie Lyft, Maps, etc. Plus using a phone with no music tsk tsk.

I might consider this phone if I was in the market for a dumbphone for some reason.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I am not interested. I can see it being useful for some people. I just don't make many personal calls anymore. I don't carry a wallet and don't want to carry 2 devices.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If somebody were to carry this in their wallet, I would hope it wouldn't dig into their butt LOL

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it was cheap and could use the Sim card from one of my other phones in an emergency I would be.

• I would use this as a backup phone if I'm somewhere ,where my zmax pro is dead ,great battery life btw I can use this item to call my wife mother or brother so yes it's it's a good item

• I think that you bring up valid points, a card phone is a fantastic way for elderly and children to contact everyone. I am a firm believer in not handing over "smart" devices to anyone under the age of 12. This would be a great way to ensure that everyone can be contacted. And solar power would be great with a "FastCharge" type system, 20-30 secs and you have 5 mins of service. This would also be a great thing to have in a camper or your car in case you loose service or charge and need to contact someone.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi New Jersey Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be interested in buying something like NOKIA 3310 (2017 edition), brings back old memories, but this is something I am not interested in.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would be somewhat interested....... my reasons are:

Pro's

1.  It would be great to have a card phone for the times that you wanted to carry the least about of things, like going for a run .

2. Girl would like it so that they could carry it in there small purse (clutch) and not worry about  large phone

Con's

1. How durable would it be??    I would be afraid of sitting on it and breaking it.

2. It would be hard to respond to long text

3. Seeing pictures would be hard

4. Battery life with Bluetooth

My suggest would to make something that was thin, and with a black & white screen so that it would be light and long battery lasting.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

One thing that comes to mind as a use case for the card phone, is something small and light to carry while running, or working out.
    It's a heck of alot easier to carry a smaller/lighter version of a phone. Of course you would need to be able to have two active phones connected to the same plan or be able to quickly swap your sim card to the card phone.
    Carriers have always made this difficult even though they should allow multiple phones on the same account as long as only one is active at a time.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Intriguing and could possibly be very useful. Especially, while out exercising.

1. The reasons you are interested in a card phone? Could you please share your possible usage scenarios ?

As stated above, would use during outdoor exercising. In my case, bicycling. Very easy to carry (I expect).

2.The reasons you are NOT interested in a card phone? What are your concerns?

My biggest concern would be damaging in a tight wallet scenario or hitting buttons.

3. Do you have any suggestions or other comments on Card Phone?

A well made very slim case would be ideal.

If the above concerns were addressed, I would probably love it.

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I find the concept to be somewhat interesting, but the implementation can be a challenge, and can lead to a number of challenges.

1: For me, my interest will be more as an emergency device, e.g., if my smartphone is taken, I have a backup to call the police.

Another use case is if they can offer a service similar to the Netgear around town hotspot where when data is purchased, it never expires. Imagine a card feature phone where you could buy a certain amounts of minutes for, and it never expires. It could be an extremely basic phone that has no standby, but instead, turns off fully, and can boot in seconds. This means a device that can be charged, and stay charged for years, and be turned on at a moments notice in order to make a quick call if the smartphone battery is dead.

2: In my car, I currently keep an old feature phone for use as an emergency device, as all emergency numbers still work without a SIM card.

For me personally, I would not be inclined to upgrade it very often, as it serves an entirely utilitarian purpose, this means that I will only replace it when it stops working, and I will not accept a failure due to me not being able to replace a consumable component such as a battery. Overall, my interest depends on the total cost of ownership.

3: To fit most common wallets, it will probably have to measure less than 2x3.2 inches, but it will also need to be user serviceable, especially if it is to be used as a backup device that can fit inside of a wallet.

• jasonejasone United States Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not interested at all. I rarely ever make phone calls on my phone and having one so limited wouldn't really appeal to me. I can see where some people might find it interesting or useful, but there are already small cheap dummy phones out there. Some for the elderly and some are burner phones. Even as a back up phone I wouldn't want this just because I'd have to pay service on it and I'm sure I'd never use it.

• Heck ya I'd use one. The idea of storing it in my wallet or picker with ease is attractive. So 9ften I and many others Seymour phone down in a public setting (park bench, tables, retail counters, etc. To place it easily in your wallet or picker and it not break or be damaged would be a great asset. Kinda makes me want to get one just to try it. I'll be looking out for the opportunity.

• fishben45fishben45 Philadelphia 19154Posts: 0

No card phone for me .I like the 6' screen I have now on zmax thank you

• musicdjmmusicdjm United States Posts: 3,124 mod

As others have stated the device would have to be SUPER great on battery life and standby time. NO bluetooth, no LTE, preferable E-ink screen with no bells or whistles. If you can make a device that last atleast a week or more in standby I would be interested but if its just another device to keep charged and it serves the same purpose as my Axons then there wouldnt be any reason to buy it

• I think it would be quite a niche product. Here in the US at least, pricing on smartphones is so aggressive that you can have something that browses Facebook and Twitter for $40, or even free with a service agreement. In fact, ZTE manufactures a lot of these low end smartphones! I think those are key drivers for a lot of people.

There is a segment of people, like my girlfriend's father, who appreciate the flip phone for its simplicity and familiarity. I'm not sure the "card phone" captures that segment, so I'm struggling to find a reason for the card phone to exist.

• It would be a wonderful backup phone since I'm always on the go kids and family can always be connected

• The phone looks very basic and a step down from the smartphone I'm using. It might be great for emergency cases but I would pass.

• That's what I was thinking too

• alanhoustonalanhouston Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

A card phone would be useful as an emergency backup phone or as a basis "call home" phone for pre-teens.

Price would be important.  Small Android phones are available for $19 or $29.  The card phone would offer the convenience of small size but there is a limit to what people would pay for convenience.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United States Posts: 3,124 mod

The credit card phone they reference above, sells for $25 or less and usually at $19.99 so it would have to be under $20 and geared towards an emergency pocket phone that you can leave in your wallet and forget about it. If it had wireless charging and your could charge from your wallet that would a better design then whats out there right now

• Whats it going for price range

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am intrigued by the idea, but I have a hard time seeing the real benefits beyond the simple novelty of the idea. It doesn't seem as though it would have much battery life or hold a charge for very long, so that limits its utility as an emergency "glove compartment" phone. The portability is nice, but normal phones are already quite pocketable. I guess if it were cheap enough to be a true burner phone, it could be useful.