Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Social Media Preferences

yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭
Consumer Labs would like to learn about your social media preference. Which of the following Social Media applications do you use most frequently on your Smartphone in your daily life? Please select one of the options below and leave your comments.Do you have a Snapchat account?  How often do you use Snapchat?What is your favorite feature within Snapchat? ( For example, Filters, Lenses, Stories, Memories, Stickers, Memories, Chat, Video Chat……)Would you be interested in preloading Snapchat on the Smartphone before you purchasing it?Please share the cons of Snapchat that you dislike the most.Finally please list the model(s) of your ZTE phone you are using.There are no right or wrong answers in this survey... please feel free to share your experiences with us. You may even have a chance to win a $25 Gift Card.

Social Media Preferences 69 votes

Facebook
42% 29 votes
Instagram
13% 9 votes
Twitter
15% 11 votes
Snapchat
2% 2 votes
Pinterest
4% 3 votes
Tumblr
0% 0 votes
Linkedin
1% 1 vote
Other
5% 4 votes
None
14% 10 votes

Comments

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like I'm slowly using less and less social media platform, but if I had to choose one, the one I use the most would be Instagram, as I just like looking through photos with my spare time. It's layout is simple and easy to use, it does have features similar to Snapchat, where someone can post their story for their day on Instagram and be seen by people that follows them.

1. I do have a Snapchat account, but don't use it too often, maybe once a day to see what stories are there.

2. I guess my favorite feature of Snapchat is the stories and filters.

3. No thanks, rather just leave it to the user to install the apps they would want on their phone instead of having it preloaded and maybe uninstallable to the user.

4. The time limit/disappearing snaps can be annoying at times if someone sends you one with a long comment/caption and not able to read it all.

5. ZTE Axon 7

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I picked Instagram, only because it would only allow one. I post and interact on that, Twitter, Facebook and G+ most everyday. Usually post on all 4 at the same time. Instagram and Twitter is where I keep up with mobile tech, followed by FB. Most of my family interactions are on FB.

• jasonejasone United States Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I chose Instagram because it's the one I probably post the most on and by that I mean probably twice a month. My second most used is Google Plus but that's not on the list but I post and browse it even less than Instagram. I don't really care much for social media in general, but I do like taking photos hence why I occasionally post to Instagram.

1. Don't have a Snapchat and not interested in Snapchat. I've refused to get it although a few friends have asked me to. I just see no purpose in it when we can already chat and send photos using Hangouts or Skype.

2. None of the Snapchat features appeal to me, hence why I don't have it.

3. NO NO NO Please do not preload anything and stop bloating up phones with software which is easily accessible through the Play Store with a very simple search. Especially apps like Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Uber, etc. These are popular apps and they are not in any way shape or form hard to find if you want them. If a person uses these apps and loves them which many people do, they know exactly how to find them and it takes them literally seconds to get them. We don't need them shoved down our throats, and if you do then at the very least make sure they can be removed permanently and uninstalled not just disabled.

4. I've heard it's a battery drain but beyond that I don't know any of the cons because I don't use it and don't care about it.

5. Axon 7

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have a Snapchat account. I voted Facebook. That is where most of my friends are. I have a Twitter and Instagram account I use daily also. Please do not add Snapchat as a preloaded app. It is easily downloaded and most people don't want more bloat on their device. I am using the Axon 7.

• batman101batman101 Posts: 134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just picked Facebook because that's the only one I have on my phone.  Honestly I'd prefer no pre-installed bloatware at all.

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use twitter on a daily basis to keep up on what is going on around me both locally and globally. I can follow sports, technology and any other topic I am interested in easily. I have also found it a very easy way to interact with different companies when need be, such as T-Mobile and ZTE. I also use facebook to keep in touch with family and friends.

• Do you have a Snapchat account? Not any more.  How often do you use Snapchat?
    • What is your favorite feature within Snapchat? ( For example, Filters, Lenses, Stories, Memories, Stickers, Memories, Chat, Video Chat……)
    • Would you be interested in preloading Snapchat on the Smartphone before you purchasing it? Nope
    • Please share the cons of Snapchat that you dislike the most. Just didn't find it worth my time (I'm old)
    • Finally please list the model(s) of your ZTE phone you are using. Axon 7
  • fishben45fishben45 Philadelphia 19154Posts: 0

Zmax pro like the phone very much

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

i use FB, twitter, LinkedIn sparsely. Really don't have 1 preference just have them because of what others are using. I kind of stay away from snapchat and instagram as I also find myself using it a bit less than I used to.

1. Do you have a Snapchat account?  How often do you use Snapchat?
      1. I don't really use it.
    2. What is your favorite feature within Snapchat? ( For example, Filters, Lenses, Stories, Memories, Stickers, Memories, Chat, Video Chat……)
    3. Would you be interested in preloading Snapchat on the Smartphone before you purchasing it?
      1. personally, I prefer without it. I much prefer a phone with minimal unnecessary apps if possible and I can always just install it myself if I want to. This gives me more control over what I want on my device.
    4. Please share the cons of Snapchat that you dislike the most.
      1. snapchat is fun but it is just not for me
    5. Finally please list the model(s) of your ZTE phone you are using.
      1. axon 7
  • ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,557 mod
    1. I have snapchat, but only use it occasionally.
    2. Stories,
    3. NO, this is not real social media, and it is more of a playtime app.
    4. Pno dislikes, it's fun and goofy as it was intended.
    5. Axon 7, Zmax Pro
  • austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 134 ✭✭✭✭✭

1. I have never used Snapchat. It's honestly something that I would never use/

2. N/A

3. I am a huge advocate for limiting preloaded software... So I would not like this as a preloaded app

4. N/A

5. Axon 7

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I pretty much only use Facebook on a regular basis. I have been using it for many years, and the majority of my family and local friends use it too,
    so it is a good way to stay connected with all of them and see what is going on in their lives when they post.
    Most of the other social media apps/sites I don't use, but will sometimes frequent them for certain reasons, like Twitter.
    I don't think I even have a Snapchat account, but I think maybe the age limit for Snapchat is 29 and I'm in my forties, so...

1. Nope. -NA-.
    2. -NA-
    3. I don't mind when phones come with preloaded apps, AS LONG AS I HAVE THE OPTION OF REMOVING THEM COMPLETELY
    once I setup the device.
    4. -NA-
    5. Axon 7

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a Snapchat account?  How often do you use Snapchat?

Yes, I use the app every day to follow everyone's stories (except for his Excellency DJ Khalid), I upload about three times a week.

What is your favorite feature within Snapchat? ( For example, Filters, Lenses, Stories, Memories, Stickers, Memories, Chat, Video Chat……)

My favorite feature are Stories and being able to caption photos. It lets me tell a story of a day or moment easily without having to worry so much about the impact in the future. I just post and forget about it.

Would you be interested in preloading Snapchat on the Smartphone before you purchasing it?

Since, I actually use the app I wont be bothered. However, there better not be any other enhacements that prevent me from using the app when I root the device or flash a custom recovery img. And please allow us to uninstall the app.

Please share the cons of Snapchat that you dislike the most.

I'm an Android user, so: fast battery drain, poor picture quality, jittery UI performance

Finally please list the model(s) of your ZTE phone you are using.

ZTE Axon  7

• I have a Snapchat account. I use it daily, but not always to upload because my life is not that interesting but I do enjoy seeing my friends having a good time. My favorite part is the filters. I LOVE the filters. Go ahead and preload Snapchat but please don't be evil and make it to where I can't get rid of it if I choose. The only thing I hate about Snapchat is how the camera quality seems to be lower. I'm using a Zmax Pro.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1.  Yes, once or twice a day.

2.  Stories

3.  No, it's not my top social media app.  More like #5 to me.

4.  So many options it almost has to many features for my liking.  Instagram is more my style

5.  Axon 7

• phatman416phatman416 Auburn, CAPosts: 0

Yes

Filters

No don't use it that much

Need more filters

ZMax Pro

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Do you have a Snapchat account?  How often do you use Snapchat?  Do have one, rarely use it though. 
    2. What is your favorite feature within Snapchat? ( For example, Filters, Lenses, Stories, Memories, Stickers, Memories, Chat, Video Chat……) filters
    3. Would you be interested in preloading Snapchat on the Smartphone before you purchasing it? Nope, its bloat to me.
    4. Please share the cons of Snapchat that you dislike the most. temporary and you have to be constantly connected to data or wifi
    5. Finally please list the model(s) of your ZTE phone you are using. Blade V8 Pro, Axon 7, Axon Pro, Grand X Max 2
  • maulgandhimaulgandhi New Jersey Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find social media useless. I don't use, and i don't care whether snapchat facebook, G+ or many other dies or lives. I would like a phone without any social media app preinstalled. Let the users decide what to install; don't decide for them.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have been on facebook since the very start, but I'm mostly a lurker--I don't post, but I keep tabs on what my friends are up to and what news they're posting. Other than that, I find social media to be a tedious time thief.

1. I don't have a snap chat account and I've never used the app before. I think I'm too old.

2. From what I've heard about snap chat, I like the idea of ephemeral communications.

3. Even if I used snap chat, I can see absolutely no benefit (to the end user) to having it preloaded on the phone.

4. My communications are already too fragmented (between sms, hangouts, email, etc.) so having another account/medium is unappealing to me.

5. Axon 7

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Forgot to mention that I have a Snapchat account, but really never use it. I tried Snapchat for about a year and found it not very user friendly.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 581 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like to use Twitter to follow what is going on in the world as quick sound bite.

1. Do you have a Snapchat account?  How often do you use Snapchat?
      1. I do not have an account.
    2. What is your favorite feature within Snapchat? ( For example, Filters, Lenses, Stories, Memories, Stickers, Memories, Chat, Video Chat……)
      1. Never used it.
    3. Would you be interested in preloading Snapchat on the Smartphone before you purchasing it?
      1. Not really.
    4. Please share the cons of Snapchat that you dislike the most.
      1. I have not used it as I have not been drawn into this current social media outlet as of yet.
    5. Finally please list the model(s) of your ZTE phone you are using.
      1. Axon 7
  • musicdjmmusicdjm United States Posts: 3,124 mod

I dont want ANY of these pre-installed so I choose NONE. If I want to download any of these I can get them from the playstore my self I dont want bloatware installed!

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a Snapchat account?  How often do you use Snapchat?

• I don't use snapchat beyond testing purposes, I do not like the UI and it offers very little functionality, and the quality is rather poor due to the compression.

What is your favorite feature within Snapchat? ( For example, Filters, Lenses, Stories, Memories, Stickers, Memories, Chat, Video Chat……)

• I currently do not have a preference for any of the features as all of them are implemented in a way where they just feel half baked. It is like how infomercial products get made, they look at some in-store products that people buy, then they work out a way to make the product worse (less likely to violate patents that way).

Would you be interested in preloading Snapchat on the Smartphone before you purchasing it?

• Never do this with any non-google or non OEM software. When you preload apps, especially ones this large onto a device, you waste space and create security risks. Applications get updated for a reason, and in some cases, those reasons can be security related. If you preload software and don't constantly release ROM updates to ensure that the system partition contains up to date versions of the software, then you end up with outdated ans insecure software running when the deviceis first used or factory reset. Furhtermore, since this kind of bloatware will be in a read only part of the system, when it is updated, it takes twice as much storage space as it would if it were not pre-loaded, and the user simply gets it from the play store. Overall, this is only bad for the user.

Please share the cons of Snapchat that you dislike the most.

• I dislike the UI, it makes poor use of available screen space, the UI is very unintuitive with many functions requiring trial and error to figure out. Photos captured using it are of lower quality due to the lack of control, since the filters and other effects apply to the processed jpeg output from the camera module, they are of lower quality

Finally please list the model(s) of your ZTE phone you are using.

• ZTE Axon 7, ZTE Imperial Max.

I agree with you.

Its important we make it very clear to the consumer research team, DONT FOLLOW SAMSUNG's mistakes. I know bloatware apps can be very lucrative for companies but I would rather pay more for a device that doesnt force apps down my throat then a phone that comes pre-installed with 80 apps and 1/4 of the space dedicated to them. Samsung in the recent galaxy lines is starting to understand there own mistakes hopefully ZTE doesnt make them as well..

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-bloatware-766285/

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

You got that right!!!

Ok, I agree again.

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wanted to also add, the closest I would accept, is an optional software check box during the initial setup.

Think aboutUbuntu's approach:

Ki2VS52.png

If the user accepts, it could then run a script which uses the play store to download the 3rd party applications, and if the user does not opt in, then they simply get a clean, bloat free experience. This will not only allow for the user to start with more up to date applications, but it will allow for device makers to make the system partition smaller, thus making more room for a larger data partition, thus more user space available. This is especially important for low cost devices where you may only have a very small amount of internal storage.

If the cost of a device will be subsidized by the bloatware, then consider this, would you rather preload the software in the system partition and have them take up twice the space of the same app that would come from the play store (on a device with limited storage), or would you rather remove the bloat from the system partition?

In this case, even if the bloatware is to be installed, grabbing it from the play store only, will result is a 50% reduction in how much space the app needs to take up.

Thats a really good idea, I wouldnt mind that approach