Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Social Media Preferences

2»

Comments

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like this idea, too. It could be taken even further by using an approach similar to ninite (ninite.com). During device setup, you'd OPTIONALLY be able to go through a list and check off the apps you want installed and set as default: you pick your sms handler, browser, keyboard, file manager, media player, etc.

• lzb302lzb302 WaPosts: 72 ✭✭✭✭

I use Face Book & Twitter! But I don't want any Bloatware added to my phone! If I want a App I'll load it & use it! The less Crap the manufacture puts on the better I see it! That is one of the reasons to not have a Carrier phone & unlocked! I prefer setting up my phone they way I want & with the Stuff I want not what someone else wants or manufacture & Carrier!!! Keep it simple & let me fill it up!!!!!!!

I have Axon 7.

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Twitter the most followed closely by LinkedIn. I prefer to choose which of those apps are installed on my own. They're all in the Play Store. There isn't really any reason to have them pre-installed. I uninstall LinkedIn quite often as it seems to cause conflicts with other apps. I usually install it, check it, and uninstall it again. The Twitter app goes through it's own issues too. I uninstall it and either use the web app or one of the 3rd party ones when that happens. I don't like the Facebook app at all and generally only use the web version. It hogs a lot of resources even when it's not being used.

• vrmcbeighvrmcbeigh Dallas, TXPosts: 19 ✭✭✭✭✭

@razor512 said:
    Wanted to also add, the closest I would accept, is an optional software check box during the initial setup.

Think aboutUbuntu's approach:

If the user accepts, it could then run a script which uses the play store to download the 3rd party applications, and if the user does not opt in, then they simply get a clean, bloat free experience. This will not only allow for the user to start with more up to date applications, but it will allow for device makers to make the system partition smaller, thus making more room for a larger data partition, thus more user space available. This is especially important for low cost devices where you may only have a very small amount of internal storage.

If the cost of a device will be subsidized by the bloatware, then consider this, would you rather preload the software in the system partition and have them take up twice the space of the same app that would come from the play store (on a device with limited storage), or would you rather remove the bloat from the system partition?

In this case, even if the bloatware is to be installed, grabbing it from the play store only, will result is a 50% reduction in how much space the app needs to take up.

This is a brilliant idea. I can get behind that. I hate preinstalled apps because they're invariably out of date, even if they might be useful.

• hottbitchickhottbitchick SacramentoPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

Facebook for me I do have the others but not Snapchat.... Use to but not anymore but I am not on Facebook as much as I was before. I have the ZTE MAX Pro.

• vrmcbeighvrmcbeigh Dallas, TXPosts: 19 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2017 4:13PM

edited for dupe post

• debrasworlddebrasworld Staten island nyPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say facebook it's how my sister found me i do use twitter and instagram also easy to use and connect with friends and family..

• tardisintimetardisintime Leavenworth, KSPosts: 14 ✭✭✭✭

I chose FB, I use everyday for business and personal. Also use Messenger for the same. Twitter and Instagram, are used on a daily basis. I have a Snapchat account and it's installed, but I've never used it. But I don't think any of them should come preloaded. If someone wants them, it's super easy to download them.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use FB but simply because my family does and because it's convenient for apps that use shared authentication. Still, I don't like sharing that much about me but I also don't like managing separate accounts for everything.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 703 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't want any social media app pre-installed on my device and if for some reason there is, please for the love of all that is good allow it to be uninstalled not just disabled.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@texasmade1 said:
    I don't want any social media app pre-installed on my device and if for some reason there is, please for the love of all that is good allow it to be uninstalled not just disabled.

Dilly Dilly! I use web wrappers now for all of my social media accounts. Please do not install what you think we may want for software on our devices, and as @texasmade1 mentioned, if you do make it uninstallable!

• MKOPMKOP usPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

No Bloatware!!! Especially applications that send unknown data outbound and that you can't uninstall or disable.

2»