Would you be interested in purchasing a spare charging cradle for your Quartz?

AerospacemanAerospaceman United StatesPosts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>In this poll we want to know if you would have any interest in purchasing a second or even third charging cradle for your Quartz watch? Please answer Yes or No in the poll below and create a comment on the reason for your choice.</p></body>

Would you be interested in purchasing a spare charging cradle for your Quartz? 35 votes

YES -- Explain Below
91% 32 votes
NO -- Expain Below
8% 3 votes

Comments

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The charging pucks aren't that large and if you travel it could be easy to lose. Not only that but sometimes you might want just one for travel and one to stay at home. I mean when you think about it there is no reason not to sell the charging dock. What happens if someone loses it? Then your watch is just a useless brick.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For all of my smart watches I have owned I have a charger at home or work and one that travels with me. Just makes sense. My Pebble Time Steel with its 5-7 day life is the only one that I have not felt the need to always know where my charger is.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes for the simple reason that I know where to go if the one I have breaks. It would also be wise to hae one to travel with when I'm going away on long trips.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

same reason as mentioned. Since the watch uses standard usb 2.0 cable, it is not too hard to grab another cable and just have to bring the puck with you. So having multiple pucks laying around can be handy.

• onematonemat Nashville, TNPosts: 154 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

One for home and one in my office/travel bag. 

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Heck..... I just want to Watch...... I need one!!!

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't own the Quartz (yet?), but I definitely have a spare charger for the smartwatch I do own, especially since the charger is proprietary.
    If the charger was broken or lost, I can't just go to the store and buy another one.
    Always a good idea to have spares of such things.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,191 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'll echo the comments.  While I don't have a Quartz, I do have a Gear S2 and I have purchased an additional charging cradle.  One sits on my nightstand and the other is in my laptop bag for when I travel.

• carlitoscarlitos Puerto ricoPosts: 0

It would be better if they made a charger to connect it is a same bracelet for the watch would be more innovative!!

• pchristensenpchristensen Posts: 87 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely.

If damaged or lost, I'd want to be able to replace the part. I'd want to have one at work, and one at home, or an extra for travel.

• kirkaugkirkaug St. Louis, MOPosts: 0

Same as all the above reasons. Nice to know I can replace it if need be and it would be handy to have an extra in the office and in my bag in addition to the one next to my bed.

• hernandez5683hernandez5683 North MiamiPosts: 1

I would so buy a spare charging cradle for the simple fact that the battery does not last as long as it should. Having a spare will allow me to keep one at home and carrying the other one around when I need that extra bit of juice.

Is ZTE aware of this post?  Have they responded? Has anyone been able to purchase an extra charger?

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well ZTE created the poll, so I'm pretty sure they are aware of it. If they don't already sell a_la_carte accessories for the Quartz smartwatch, I'm sure they probably will soon.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would definitely buy an extra charging cradle. You never know when you may need it. The original breaks, you may want it for the office, trips ect.

• mttmksmttmks TexasPosts: 93

I'd love to have one in my car just in case. I would also like to have one for traveling just so I don't have to pack the one in my house.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's always good practice to have a spare.

• codesplicecodesplice Posts: 10 ✭✭✭✭

I don't necessarily need a second (or third) charging dock, but it's pretty silly to not offer them for purchase. What happens if I lose or damage the dock that came with my watch? Would I need to buy another watch? That doesn't make any sense.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Having a spare cradle definitely will come in handy when traveling or just when you might have misplaced one of them.

• Absolutely. Unless you are going to have a universal type charging based like QI or other magnetic/cordless chargers, then there is always a chance of losing them, damaging them, or having a more permanent location for one, and wanting to toss one in a bag for traveling with. I personally like to have a 2nd of anything charger related for traveling so I don't have to dismantle my nightstand or desk to get cables or other items in and out all the time.

Let's go ZTE...WAKE UP!  (Laughing).

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My question would be, why stop there?

Of course they should sell a replacement charging cradle, but they should also sell other replacement parts. Take items that are already being made, and have a few extra made.

Those items can then be placed in a box or padded envelope, and then mailed to customers who purchased the parts.

There is likely an assembly line making the watch straps, digitizers, PCBs, aluminum frames, AMOLED displays and pretty much every other part.

For example, many headphone makers (except for the overpriced/ ripoff gaming headsets) will often have replacement headbands, ear pads, speakers, cables, and other components.

For many of the reputable companies, you can build the headphone yourself by buying the individual (new) spare parts sold by the company itself. This is not recommended since the individual replacement parts will add up to a higher cost than the complete unit, but the ability to do it is there.

Many oscilloscope companies will sell replacement parts, right down to board level components that require you to solder. They are usually more expensive than getting them from places like digikey, but they do it anyway because it does not cost much  since they are just taking additional items from the assembly line and then offering to sell them directly.

Here is an example.

http://www.keysight.com/my/faces/partDetail.jspx?partNumber=0160-5973&cc=US&lc=eng&_afrLoop=1405158281559000&_afrWindowM…

Overall, I say definitely sell a replacement charging cradle, but also consider selling all other individual components.

I'm wondering if there a generic "hockey puck" charger that fits the ZTE Quartz.  There are several Chinese made watches that look like they all have the same one.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The only way to be sure, would be to compare the size, and also test the pinout of the little pogo pins, as well as make sure the cutout for the button is in the same place.

Blindly testing a 3rd party charging cradle, is not a good idea since all it takes is for the pinout to be different, and it will fry your watch.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

With the Huawei Watch after a few months or so some third party ones from China popped up on eBay. These were cheaper and more desirable because the puck didn't come permanently attached like the retail one they provided. That was one of the most popular smartwatches though. I'm not sure if anyone will go out of their way to produce spare chargers for the Quartz. Meaning ZTE could be making money off selling a needed accessory if they would only just put it for sale.

• antonioantonio Washington, D.C.Posts: 68 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be great to have two, so if I travel, I don't have to take one from my house.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,630 mod

Definitely needed and am shocked it isn't available already.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

On the one hand, having multiple chargers at once would only be a marginal benefit to me. Unlike a phone charger, I don't see myself taking off the watch to charge it during the workday or whatever, so having just the one charge at my bedside is sufficient for my needs. But on the other hand, it absolutely needs to be replaceable. It's a breakable, lose-able part that is necessary for the functioning of the device. You shouldn't need to buy a whole new watch or look for a sketchy second hand charger on ebay.

• jabird101jabird101 Cleveland, OH, USAPosts: 225 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just found out yesterday at T-Mobile that I can't buy a spare.  This is a deal breaker.  I travel for work and want a second to keep in my laptop bag.

I'm pretty comfortable thinking that we will be able to buy them from ZTE and eventually other sources.