Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

Class Action Lawsuit

Heard a rumor and saw something online mentioning a Class Action Lawsuit on the Zmax Pro? Anyone else see or hear about it? I want to sign up. What I remember reading was the fact they (ZTE) screwed with the updates, messed up the fast charging and reneged on Android 7 update. Many people, me included only purchased the phone because of the promise of Android 7. They were asking with proof of purchase those party to the suit would receive full refund of purchase price. Not sure if any other added pain or suffering is added. Lord knows it pains me to slow charge this thing. lol Seriously if anyone hears anything about it please post and I will do the same. THANKS!

Answers

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@qfields2016 carrier devices cannot be commented on by ZTE. It's 100% up to the carrier to determine if an update will be pushed or not, not the OEM. That's no different in the case of the Zmax Pro. A link to the rumor would be appreciated.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:
    @qfields2016 carrier devices cannot be commented on by ZTE. It's 100% up to the carrier to determine if an update will be pushed or not, not the OEM. That's no different in the case of the Zmax Pro. A link to the rumor would be appreciated.

This is true as far as I know.

• freddiezfreddiez Posts: 73 ✭✭✭✭

Is this a joke? Seriously ZMP is an excellent phone. I stopped using it as my man go- to phone a week ago because I switched to CDMA device. Now I can only use it at home to read nonsensical posts such as this.

• keithisreal2013keithisreal2013 Austin, TexasPosts: 100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even it there is a suit, you won't get what you think you deserve. Its a good device for the amount of money spent.

• metalrabbitmetalrabbit North Central FloridaPosts: 34 ✭✭✭✭

I think a class action lawsuit is a great idea. I think the plan was to screw with budget phone buyers.

Learned since how to buy an factory unlocked phone, not one unlocked but intended for use with carrier. Also, there are better options out now for buying factory unlocked phones. Am very happy with ZTE Zmax Pro. I'm a light phone user, and the phone suits me just fine. Live and learn.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 11,802 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@metalrabbit said:
    I think a class action lawsuit is a great idea. I think the plan was to screw with budget phone buyers.

You can't be serious. If ZTE was purposely trying to screw budget phone purchasers exactly how long do you think they would stay in business? That's right at the top of most ludicrous things that I've ever heard.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@metalrabbit said:

You can't be serious. If ZTE was purposely trying to screw budget phone purchasers exactly how long do you think they would stay in business? That's right at the top of most ludicrous things that I've ever heard.

I agree with you.

If they screwed if the flag ship phone buyers, it would be more likely that those buyers would seek legal remediation.
    Listen to yourselves: Budget buyers got what they deserved.
    Really!
    Who buys a phone not expecting to get an OS update?

@metalrabbit said:
    If they screwed if the flag ship phone buyers, it would be more likely that those buyers would seek legal remediation.
    Listen to yourselves: Budget buyers got what they deserved.
    Really!
    Who buys a phone not expecting to get an OS update?

What flagship buyers got screwed? With regards to who buys a phone not expecting to get an OS update? The budget phone buyers. That's who. How much do you expect an OEM to do for a $100-200 phone? It's quite labor intensive to do an OS update and the OTA updating process isn't free of cost to the OEM.

• stevefr2stevefr2 Posts: 5 ✭✭

MetroPCS said that they are not updating Android phones under $200 with Nougat. As ZTE pointed out MetroPCS is responsible for these upgrades not ZTE. I hate sounding sympathetic for ZTE and MetroPCS but the profit margin on these phones has to be minimal.
    Doing expensive upgrades is a sure money loser for these vendors.
    If you want phones that get upgrades spend the money and get Apple and Google phones. Anyone other phone manufacturer, even Samsung, will take their own sweet time in providing upgrades. The new magical I Phone is going to cost $1,000 and the other major flagship phones are hitting $850. I paid $99 for my ZMP and I believe that if you ported a number you could have got it for $60 something. The updated version of the ZMP that Cricket is selling costs $150. This phone has the latest version of Nougat.

@stevefr2 said:
    MetroPCS said that they are not updating Android phones under $200 with Nougat. As ZTE pointed out MetroPCS is responsible for these upgrades not ZTE. I hate sounding sympathetic for ZTE and MetroPCS but the profit margin on these phones has to be minimal.
    Doing expensive upgrades is a sure money loser for these vendors.
    If you want phones that get upgrades spend the money and get Apple and Google phones. Anyone other phone manufacturer, even Samsung, will take their own sweet time in providing upgrades. The new magical I Phone is going to cost $1,000 and the other major flagship phones are hitting $850. I paid $99 for my ZMP and I believe that if you ported a number you could have got it for $60 something. The updated version of the ZMP that Cricket is selling costs $150. This phone has the latest version of Nougat.

When the Zmax Pro first came out on MetroPCS it was free for new customers. But you're right there isn't enough profit in these budget phones to update. If you want the latest version of Android on a budget phone it's best to just buy a new one every year if you can afford it. Sucks but that's just the way it is.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1 ✭✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

@DivergentDroid said:
    Let me ask you guys - Couldn't you simply root the phone and flash a new copy of the OS that already has the updates for Android 7? Of course this Will void your warranty or possibly brick your phone if you mess up the Root but it may be a solution you guys haven't thought of.

I'm not aware of anyone achieving root on the Zmax Pro or that anyone has tried.

@DivergentDroid said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    I'm not aware of anyone achieving root on the Zmax Pro or that anyone has tried.

Have you tried Youtube? I just typed in "Root Zmax Pro" and I'm seeing lots of people show you how to root that model phone.

I'm looking for a way to root the ZTE Jasper myself but there are no videos on that model.

No I haven't seen that. I don't have that phone and was only passing along information from a few of the tech gurus on this site. Very interesting though, thanks.

@DivergentDroid said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    No I haven't seen that. I don't have that phone and was only passing along information from a few of the tech gurus on this site. Very interesting though, thanks.

No problem Jim. You may be interested to know that it looks like ZTE doesn't frown on rooted phones, they have a tutorial for rooting the phones in the Mobile Education section. Here's a link. https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/11342/mobile-education-unlocking-bootloader-rooting-your-device#latest

Of course there is no promise it will work with every model but it's worth a try.

That is not an official stance by ZTE. That is from a forum member and isn't sanctioned by ZTE. I'm sure that if you returned a phone to ZTE for repair and it was rooted it would be instantly rejected.

@DivergentDroid said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    That is not an official stance by ZTE. That is from a forum member and isn't sanctioned by ZTE. I'm sure that if you returned a phone to ZTE for repair and it was rooted it would be instantly rejected.

I agree. As I mentioned it will void your warranty. People need to remember rooting is a risk, you can't expect the company to replace a bricked phone. If one must return a phone to the company for hardware repairs, they must have an unrooted copy of the factory default operating system installed before they send it in.

I suggest ZTE may not have a problem with it by virtue of the fact that post is still up in the Mobile Education section. Seems to me the moderators would have removed it long ago if the information was deemed inappropriate.

The forum is not an official ZTE forum. ZTE doesn't run the forum.

• alton28alton28 Posts: 11 ✭✭✭✭

It not true and if zte did come out with the 7.0 update its up too tmobile and metro Pcs too push the update too the phones stop blaming zte its up too the carriers.i was told by zte a 7.0 update was coming too the zmax pro but it be up too the carriers too push out the update when comes out.

@alton28 said:
    It not true and if zte did come out with the 7.0 update its up too tmobile and metro Pcs too push the update too the phones stop blaming zte its up too the carriers.i was told by zte a 7.0 update was coming too the zmax pro but it be up too the carriers too push out the update when comes out.

Who told you that from ZTE?

• snn5snn5 Southeast USPosts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Rumor around geekbench is that a Z982 is on the way with 7.1 So I'm going to say no 7.x for the Z981. Plus Tmo said no further updates to the Z981. And....for the last time....there is no root for the Zmax Pro Z981. This is all fact.

• ZTE has clearly said no rooting on the ZMax Pro on one of the other forums. Apparently they are adamant about this. They have this completely blocked.

edited August 18, 2017 2:21PM

@snn5 said:
    Rumor around geekbench is that a Z982 is on the way with 7.1 So I'm going to say no 7.x for the Z981. Plus Tmo said no further updates to the Z981. And....for the last time....there is no root for the Zmax Pro Z981. This is all fact.

Isn't the Blade Z MAX that's been announced for MetroPCS the successor to the Zmax Pro?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@snn5 said:

Isn't the Blade Z MAX that's been announced for MetroPCS the successor to the Zmax Pro?

Yes. The Z982.

• AaronAaron Posts: 1 ✭✭

I would be interested. Just bough the phone had it for 2 days and already regret it.

@Aaron said:
    I would be interested. Just bough the phone had it for 2 days and already regret it.

If you just bought the phone and are that dissatisfied why don't you return it?

• louisdlouisd Ashburn, VAPosts: 917 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2017 3:05PM

@Aaron said:

You think the best choice, for a phone that you've had for 2 days, is to sign on to a class action lawsuit, that should it prevail, will be years down the road and you'll likely get $3.84.

Wouldn't returning the phone make more sense?

@qfields2016 said:
    What I remember reading was the fact they (ZTE) screwed with the updates, messed up the fast charging and reneged on Android 7 update. Many people, me included only purchased the phone because of the promise of Android 7.

There was no promise of Android 7. There were unfounded rumors yes from click bait sites.

This CAL crap holds no merit.