ZTE Quartz FAQs

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited StatesPosts: 3,652 admin
edited June 30, 2017 3:04PM in Quartz

Congratulations! If you are here, then you must have purchased the ZTE Quartz - Affordable Smartwatch. We hope you enjoy your Android Wear 2.0 Smartwatch. Below you will find some helpful information about your device.

FAQs

• Does it have Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and NFC?
    -It has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, but not NFC.

• Does it track my physical activities?
    -Yes, it has a built-in pedometer and can track your steps and other physical exercises.

• Is it waterproof?
    -The watch has an IP67 rating, meaning that it is protected from dust and can withstand up to 1 meter (~3.3 feet) of static water for up to 30 minutes.

• What is the battery capacity and typical battery life?
    -The watch has a non-removable 500mAh, which typically lasts two days on standby with a single charge.

• What frequencies does the watch support?
    -The watch supports the following frequencies:
    GSM: 850 MHz, 1900MHz
    UMTS: Band II (1900), Band IV (1700/2100), Band V (850)
    This means the watch will operate HSPA

• Is there a SIM card in the watch?
    -Yes. However, the sim card is embedded in the watch and is not user removable.

• What watch band size is compatible with this smartwatch?
    -22mm lug width, which is the industry standard

• Does it have a built-in speaker and microphone?
    -Yes. Due to the speaker and microphone combination, you are able to place and receive phone calls directly from the watch, along with record audio, play music, etc.

• Does it have GPS?
    -Yes. As such, you can leverage mapping apps such as Google Maps directly from your smartwatch.

• Does it work with both iOS and Android smartphones?
    -Yes, the Quartz is compatible with both Android 4.3+ or iOS 9+. Supported features may vary between platforms.

• Does the watch support Android Pay?
    -The ZTE Quartz is not Android Pay compatible

• How do you charge the watch?
    -The watch uses a magnetic cradle and micro USB cable to charge.

• Does the watch work without a cell connection?
    -Yes, the watch will work without cellular connectivity. If you are on Wi-Fi, you are still able to access internet. In addition, as long as watch and the phone are connected via Bluetooth, you are still able to get notifications and answer calls.

Setup

• How do I pair the watch with my smartphone for the first time?
    -Please download Android Wear from Google’s “Play Store” on your smartphone. Through this app...TBD.

• How do I pair the watch with a different device?
    -The watch can only be paired with one device at a time. If you wish to pair with another device, you must first unpair the watch from your current device. To do so, open the Android Wear app on your phone. Tap the gear icon on the upper-right corner, tap the ZW10, and tap “Forget watch.” This will automatically factory reset the watch, so be mindful of this before you click this. After the reset, you will be able to pair the watch with another device.

• Can the watch work with other SIM/carriers besides T-Mobile?
    -No, the watch currently will only work with T-Mobile.

• Can you listen to music without your phone?
    -Absolutely, but first, you must install Google Play Music or another compatible music app by scrolling to the bottom of the Play Store on your watch. Then you can play music from your library or radio stations through the speaker or through a pair of Bluetooth headphones you’ve paired with the watch.

• Can my smartwatch have a separate phone number (different than my phone)?
    -Yes. Please call T-Mobile to get your SIM set up with a dedicated phone number for your smartwatch that is different from your smartphone.

How To’s

• How do I answer calls on my watch?
    -To answer calls on your watch, you must enable the “play phone audio on watch“ option. To do so, navigate to the watch’s settings by swiping down. Tap the gear icon, tap Bluetooth, toggle the “play phone audio on watch” option.
    If you wish to have the watch to ring only when you have an incoming call, you can enable “Silence incoming calls” on the Android Wear app. There, you will find the “Silence alerts and notifications” option
    In addition, you may wish to set up call forwarding on your mobile device to forward calls to your watch. This way, if you do not answer a call on your cellphone, the call will get re-routed to your watch. This is convenient if you are without your phone but still, need to receive calls made to your mobile number.

• How do “Favorite” an app and pin it to the top of the app carousel?
    -Click on the side button to bring up your apps. Simply click and hold (long press) an app to pin it to the top of the “app drawer.” You will then notice a star icon next to the app, which moves it to the top of the app drawer. If you want to remove an app from your Favorites list, simply long press it again.

• How do I set up notifications on my watch?
    -To set up notifications, your watch must be paired with your phone. For simple notifications, you may not need to download the app to your watch. But for notifications and basic controls, you must have the associated app downloaded to your watch. For example, if you want to receive and reply Skype messages directly from your watch, be sure to download Skype from the Google Play app - found in the app drawer on your watch (click on side button to toggle between watch mode and app drawer).

• What are the notification preview options available?
    -There are two different options: High and Normal. For the High option, notifications will pop up and remain active until you dismiss them. For the Normal option, they will pop up for 5 seconds and be hidden thereafter, with a number displayed on the watch face to designate the number of notifications that have not been dismissed yet.

• How do I change and customize watch faces?
    -To change watch faces, just swipe right and you can switch between various watch faces as well as adding more faces.
    You may notice a few watch faces has a gear icon on the bottom. Tap on it and you can further customize a given watch face. (you can also access the setting by long press the watch face)
    You can also visit the Play Store on your phone, watch, or browser for additional watch faces.

• How to Maximize the battery life on the watch
    -Adjust the brightness: Setting-->DisplaySetting the brightness to the lowest number that is comfortable for your viewing will help prolong battery life. Setting the watch to a brightness level of 2 is usually sufficient for most indoor use. While outdoors, you may find the need to raise the display brightness.

Comments

• onematonemat Nashville, TNPosts: 154 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

How do you tansfer music files to your watch from A. a smartphone and B. a PC?

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

hi, @onemat

here is a quick guide to help you transfer music from Google Play Music to the AW. I think Google made it a bit hard and convoluted with AW 2.0 when comes to transfer music.

• She31She31 ScPosts: 5 ✭✭

Watch Charging Slowly

• onematonemat Nashville, TNPosts: 154 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@She31 said:
    Watch Charging Slowly

Here's what to do. Get a pencil with a clean soft eraser on it. Use the eraser to clean the contacts on the back of the watch and charger. Your charging time and the amount of charge should go back to normal.
    Matt

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

How long is it taking to charge @She31? I know it doesn't take usually more than an hour to fully charge for me. I would suggest making sure you push down and see the charging screen to make sure it's actually making a connection. Trying @onemat's suggestion is another good idea. Although, I've never had any issues with the contacts on mine.

• kaeesdeekaeesdee USA Posts: 1 ✭✭

Whats the maximum distance for the find my phone feature?

@kaeesdee said:

hi, @kaeesdee , the maximum distance would depend on your BT connectivity. BT has theoretical distance of ~100m (330 ft) but in reality, this only works best under idea environment (open area without any interference). I don't have the exact measurement about the BT range but I got the roughly the same connectivity to my phone as I got from my BT wireless headset, which is roughly 20-30 feet indoor (thus there are some interference).

@samsamha said:

@kaeesdee said:

hi, @kaeesdee , the maximum distance would depend on your BT connectivity. BT has theoretical distance of ~100m (330 ft) but in reality, this only works best under idea environment (open area without any interference). I don't have the exact measurement about the BT range but I got the roughly the same connectivity to my phone as I got from my BT wireless headset, which is roughly 20-30 feet indoor (thus there are some interference).

I believe they are asking about the Find my phone app to make your phone ring so you can find it. Which I don't think is dependent on the BT connectivity at all because the watch has WiFi and cellular connections the same as a phone. Just like you can trigger it from your computer without a connection to the phone I think the same can be done with the watch.

I would test it now but it's late and don't wanna wake everyone up with the phone. I'll have to try tomorrow and see what happens with BT turned off on the phone. I'm pretty sure there is no distance at all for this feature the same as triggering it from a computer.

@jasone said:

@samsamha said:

@kaeesdee said:

I believe they are asking about the Find my phone app to make your phone ring so you can find it. Which I don't think is dependent on the BT connectivity at all because the watch has WiFi and cellular connections the same as a phone. Just like you can trigger it from your computer without a connection to the phone I think the same can be done with the watch.

I would test it now but it's late and don't wanna wake everyone up with the phone. I'll have to try tomorrow and see what happens with BT turned off on the phone. I'm pretty sure there is no distance at all for this feature the same as triggering it from a computer.

I see. I just tested it by disable BT on my watch and use the watch Find My Phone app and it does ring my phone (despite the fact that after it rings, it prompt me could not ring the phone). So it does seems like the app is able to trigger Google's web Find My Phone feature even when the watch and the phone is not paired via BT.

@samsamha said:
    I see. I just tested it by disable BT on my watch and use the watch Find My Phone app and it does ring my phone (despite the fact that after it rings, it prompt me could not ring the phone). So it does seems like the app is able to trigger Google's web Find My Phone feature even when the watch and the phone is not paired via BT.

Thanks for testing, I assumed it would work it was just too late here for me to try ;)

• XanderfieldXanderfield Oklahoma City, OKPosts: 1 ✭✭

How would I be able to transfer files (whether it be photos, mp3, videos, or apks [apps that are not from the google play store]) to the watch? Im have been trying everything it seems like for the past three days and i have gotten nothing. Nothing even shows up in my computer. It just shows up as a watch with neither folders nor files.

hi, @Xanderfield,

To transfer music, you can use Google Play Music. Though, with AW 2.0, Google removed the option to transfer music from your phone to the watch directly. Instead, you would have to first upload the music to your Google Play Music Account. I would suggest you create a playlist when you upload the music for easier download afterwards. Once the music is uploaded, you can then open the Play Music on your watch and long press the playlist you created to download to your watch. (or you could just steam it as well).

For the photo, you would have to download photo apps for the watch from the playstore to let you browser pictures on your watch (you can try this or this. I personally have not use either one of them, so I cannot comment on how well they are running on the Quartz.

As for sideloading app to the watch. This is not officially supported and I am not too sure if AW 2.0 even has such ability. It maybe something that you would have to do a bit of digging online.

With AW 2.0, you really do not connect the watch to the PC to transfer files like how you would do with the phone. I think because the storage on the wear is limited, it relies a lot of streaming instead of local storage and data tends to be stored in the cloud. To transfer files, you often would need to do it via wifi or BT.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,626 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2017 5:19PM

• rlee888rlee888 United StatesPosts: 2 ✭✭

Hello. I just got a ZTE Quartz watch yesterday. I paired it with my Axon 7 and use Metro PCS for my carrier. I do not have a separate plan for my watch. Can I do the following without a separate plan for the watch and just with bluetooth, pairing with phone and WiFi?

1) Make calls from the watch;
    2) Receive calls from the watch;
    3) Write text messages from the watch;
    4) Receive text messages from the watch;
    5) Write emails from the watch;
    6) Receive emails from the watch.

Also, does anyone know if MetroPCS offers a separate plan for this watch and if so, what it includes and costs?

Your help is appreciated!

hi, @rlee888

There is no issue to use the watch using WiFi or BT (without cellular connectivity)

1 and 2) Make calls from the watch;

If you do not have a plan on the watch, you can still make call and receive calls from the watch when you configure to have the call from the phone routed to the watch. This is done using BT so the watch essentially would function as a bluetooth headphone/speaker.

3 and 4) Write text messages from the watch'

text to the phone's number would work and you can send text as well. it would probably be easier to use google messaging app since there is a dedicated wear app so the messages would appear on both the watch and the phone.

5 an 6) Write emails from the watch;

You would get email notification on your watch and you can read it. Though I have not tried to write email since it would be crazy to reply long email on such tiny screen:) .

• starseedstarseed United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭

If my zte smartwatch has its own phone number, can I pair my cell phone to it as well?

@starseed said:
    If my zte smartwatch has its own phone number, can I pair my cell phone to it as well?

you actually do not need a phone number to pair the watch to the phone since it can be done via bluetooth even if there is not cellular connectivity. However, if you do have a phone number (ie a cellular plan with the watch, since the watch has its own sim, you can do that), then you are able to access data and make/receiving calls on the watch.

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 1,164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2018 8:15PM

@starseed said:

Yes, you can. The common pairing which will send you notifications and messages from Hangouts, Gmail, etc is done over Bluetooth, you can set this up with the Wear OS app. If you want to receive calls that are coming to your cell phone you will have to set up call-forwarding, which is done in the settings of the cell phone.