Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

RAM OR ROM?

yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 3, 2017 5:33PM in Consumer Lab

This week, Consumer Lab would like to learn more about your preference on RAM and ROM for high-end smartphones (upwards of $549). Assuming the two devices have exact specifications and microSD card expansion, the only differences are RAM and ROM. One device is 6GB(RAM)+128G(ROM) and the other one is 8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM). Which one would you prefer to purchase?

Please select one of the options below and leave your reasoning.

There are no right or wrong answers in this survey... please feel free to share your thoughts with us.

RAM OR ROM? 67 votes

6GB(RAM)+128GB(ROM)
29%
DoppelgangerDcavanaughtimasbestosruntohell121fzrrichwestside80chrsnlouisdhollapbusymanjabird101benkoresjasonscartersaeedtedkidnovawiseman13bradleybrenta@gmail.commikehdrajeshtardisintime 20 votes
8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)
65%
coldheat06razor512maulgandhicharidyaustin45ironbaybeedolljasonesamsamhachuckbortdnewman007musicdjmjimlloyd40poohbiwonthedp1979acatrusbjhiltbrandDrakenFXgryphticonfreezaTEXASMADE1978 44 votes
No Preference
4%
frodriguez2010[Deleted User]trotter 3 votes

Comments

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

I am personally a big fan of having more RAM. ROM is nice, but currently on my Axon 7 I haven't come close to filling up the storage. And if I ever do I have plenty of micro sd cards to supplement the storage. More RAM can't be added after purchase. Because of this I would want more to help run my applications and games smoothly.

• freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 308 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

@austin45 said:
    I am personally a big fan of having more RAM. ROM is nice, but currently on my Axon 7 I haven't come close to filling up the storage. And if I ever do I have plenty of micro sd cards to supplement the storage. More RAM can't be added after purchase. Because of this I would want more to help run my applications and games smoothly.

Agreed. RAM all the way. I have a 256GB microsd card in my axon 7 and i chose the enhanced version specifically for the 6GB of RAM.

• VeNuMuSVeNuMuS Posts: 1
    edited July 5, 2017 11:09PM
    8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

Well the axon enhanced is a beast of its own. And ZTE providing great software that's lite will definitely make the 8gb model a powerhouse.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

ROM can be supplemented with an SD card. The user can't add in extra RAM. Besides, I love it when my phone "flies"!

• SaintZ13SaintZ13 United StatesPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭
    8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

More RAM, it doesn't matter if its 64GB ROM as long as there is a SD Card Slot.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

I think it would be genius if ZTE only offered the Axon 8 with the 8GB RAM, 64GB ROM configuration. I would imagine not having 2 separate production lines for each of the above configurations would reduce manufacturing costs a little bit. If the phone has an SD expansion slot, then 64GB of internal storage is plenty. Whatever savings they get from this scenario would hopefully be passed on to the customer? Wishful thinking?

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 575 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

I believe that the micro sd availability basically makes this a simple choice. You are always able to add more ROM when needed (though I have never needed to with my A7). You can's say the same for RAM. So it only makes sense to increase that from the start since you can't later.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2017 10:19AM
    8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

At the $549 and above range I would kinda expect 8GB AND 128GB of storage otherwise there would have to be other reasons to buy the phone. Something that makes it worth the extra money otherwise it doesnt matter how much ram or rom is in it if it doesnt sell.

• jasonejasone United States Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

I still feel like 6GB is probably more RAM than we need currently and 8GB is way overkill. I had to choose 8G+64GB though because storage can be supplemented by microSD but you cannot add more RAM. So I'd rather have more of the thing I cannot supplement later on.

• jabird101jabird101 Cleveland, OH, USAPosts: 225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6GB(RAM)+128GB(ROM)

This question seems invalid to me. RAM is random access memory that can be read from an written to. ROM is read only memory. Why would anyone want a larger ROM? Not trying to be a ****, just an old computer guy who has actually burned ROM chips. Maybe the terms have different meaning now versus a few years ago.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

More RAM all the way!!!

That way the phone will be more future proof!!!.... But please keep in mind that the processor is also very, very important!!!!

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

I voted for 8GB + 64GB of storage. Though personally, I felt that 6GB is plenty for anything at the moment, but given to the fact that RAM is not something that is up gradable, and if the phone has an microSD card, then it would be better to go with larger ram.

If the phone does not have microSD slot, then I would personally go with 6GB of RAM and 128GB or even larger onboard storage

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No Preference

Being honest. It doesn't matter as there are still no applications to utilize 6 or 8 GB of RAM . Spec wise it sounds good and is a selling point. Not to say there will not be applications developed for that amount of RAM but at this time there isn't. Future proofing the phone for within 2 years of replacement still will not have apps to utilize the amount of RAM. Yet, I'm also like everyone else and the more the better. So if I had to choose it would be 8 GB RAM but if there is a price difference between 6 and 8 then 6GB. For this one it will be more towards the weight of finances. At least for me.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,611 mod
    8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

I figure go big on what I can't add myself, I can always throw an SD Card in if, as needed. I do think currently 6-8gb is still overkill but it is where we are going. If history of PCs has taught us anything it is more RAM & ROM is always going to be the future.

8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

@musicdjm said:
    At the $549 and above range I would kinda expect 8GB AND 128GB of storage otherwise there would have to be other reasons to buy the phone. Something that makes it worth the extra money otherwise it doesnt matter how much ram or rom is in it if it doesnt sell.

I thought this too considering the OP5, but you have to remember that the OP5 also still has only a 1080p display, no stereo speakers, no awesome DAC, and no microsd expansion. If zte can maintain all of that from the axon 7 moving forward and include dual cameras, ip68 rating or an ir blaster, that price is still very reasonable.

8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

@ironbaybeedoll said:
    I figure go big on what I can't add myself, I can always throw an SD Card in if, as needed. I do think currently 6-8gb is still overkill but it is where we are going. If history of PCs has taught us anything it is more RAM & ROM is always going to be the future.

Overkill is subjective. There is nothing that is overkill in the tech industry. We lose nothing by including the largest of storage or RAM especially if there is either a choice or a reasonable price.

8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

@jimlloyd40 said:
    I would choose the 8 GB RAM and 64 GB ROM even if it didn't support a SD card. I never come close to using that much ROM but the 8 GB RAM will keep things flowing along under extreme use cases.

Agreed

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,227 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    6GB(RAM)+128GB(ROM)

I personally think 6gb is more than enough on a smartphone. At least right now that is... The more ram manufacturer throws in the phone, the less the developer care about the ram usage and optimization on their app.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    6GB(RAM)+128GB(ROM)

I see more of an issue with storage than RAM and SD cards just are not as fast as the built in NAND.

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

I prefer more RAM. Assuming the company is not big on planned obsolescence, I can expand the storage with a micro SD card, but upgrading the RAM is a much more difficult task that may not be possible on some devices (especially if no higher capacity modules with the same pinout exist).

Additional RAM means that a device can remain viable for a far longer time. For example, many older devices which had 2-3GB of RAM that was considered overkill for the time, are able to run android 7 today, and perform decently. One important thing to consider is that not everyone buys a new phone every year. Depending on how good the 3rd party ROM support is, a device which goes well above the average amount of RAM today, will be able to run well for many years in advanced.

The phones from 2012 that are still in use today by many people, are the ones that had a good amount of RAM.

While a fast SOC is useful, it is not the only spec that matters. If you have a device that is behaving sluggishly, try monitoring the CPU usage, it is very rare to see any of the cores at 100% load while a device is being slow to respond.

A well optimized ROM running on a device with a slower CPU and lots of RAM and fast storage, will offer a very smooth user experience.

Even with desktop PCs, many people are running CPUs that are around 5 years old, and that is largely because the CPU has not been a bottleneck for a long time, while it has a measurable impact, there are just other components which have a larger impact. For example, if most of your use is gaming and media consumption, upgrading from an ivy bridge based intel CPU, to kabylake, will have a smaller performance boost than putting that money towards a better GPU, and more RAM.

While it is clear that micro SD cannot match the performance of UFS 2 storage, but not many tasks require 400-700MB/s read speeds. For example, video capture, media playback, and accessing bulk data does not need a very high speed. The main things that benefit from it are specific applications and system files where their use relies on tasks which are I/O intensive, e.g., 4k random reads and writes. Think of it like on your desktop PC, you will use your SSD as more of a boot drive and have it hold installed apps, but not your music, video, or documents or other forms of bulk data.

64GB will be useful for a while longer, assuming apps don't experience an exponential increase in their file size, like with some PC games where to reduce the risk of a CPU bottleneck, they have started to store commonly used assets in an uncompressed state, thus making 50GB+ games more common.

Beyond that, extra RAM can be used today for more interesting things, for example, keeping many more launcher and UI assets in RAM in order to make the device feel more snappy, without compromising the ability for the user to open many apps and keep them running in the background.

8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

@razor512 said:
    I prefer more RAM. Assuming the company is not big on planned obsolescence, I can expand the storage with a micro SD card, but upgrading the RAM is a much more difficult task that may not be possible on some devices (especially if no higher capacity modules with the same pinout exist).

Additional RAM means that a device can remain viable for a far longer time. For example, many older devices which had 2-3GB of RAM that was considered overkill for the time, are able to run android 7 today, and perform decently. One important thing to consider is that not everyone buys a new phone every year. Depending on how good the 3rd party ROM support is, a device which goes well above the average amount of RAM today, will be able to run well for many years in advanced.

The phones from 2012 that are still in use today by many people, are the ones that had a good amount of RAM.

While a fast SOC is useful, it is not the only spec that matters. If you have a device that is behaving sluggishly, try monitoring the CPU usage, it is very rare to see any of the cores at 100% load while a device is being slow to respond.

A well optimized ROM running on a device with a slower CPU and lots of RAM and fast storage, will offer a very smooth user experience.

Even with desktop PCs, many people are running CPUs that are around 5 years old, and that is largely because the CPU has not been a bottleneck for a long time, while it has a measurable impact, there are just other components which have a larger impact. For example, if most of your use is gaming and media consumption, upgrading from an ivy bridge based intel CPU, to kabylake, will have a smaller performance boost than putting that money towards a better GPU, and more RAM.

While it is clear that micro SD cannot match the performance of UFS 2 storage, but not many tasks require 400-700MB/s read speeds. For example, video capture, media playback, and accessing bulk data does not need a very high speed. The main things that benefit from it are specific applications and system files where their use relies on tasks which are I/O intensive, e.g., 4k random reads and writes. Think of it like on your desktop PC, you will use your SSD as more of a boot drive and have it hold installed apps, but not your music, video, or documents or other forms of bulk data.

64GB will be useful for a while longer, assuming apps don't experience an exponential increase in their file size, like with some PC games where to reduce the risk of a CPU bottleneck, they have started to store commonly used assets in an uncompressed state, thus making 50GB+ games more common.

Beyond that, extra RAM can be used today for more interesting things, for example, keeping many more launcher and UI assets in RAM in order to make the device feel more snappy, without compromising the ability for the user to open many apps and keep them running in the background.

This.

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

64GB ROM is enough to keep all your apps while you store the other files in the SD card. More RAM is always better to reduce battery drain when reloading apps and helps open apps much faster.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi New Jersey Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8GB(RAM)+64GB(ROM)

I picked 8 GB RAM and 64 GB ROM, but does the Android OS officially support 8 GB RAM?
    Also, if the OS is optimized then 4GB RAM is all you need to take care of consumer needs. It all boils down to how optimized the OS is.
    I have used custom ROM on LG G3 (2GB RAM, 16 GB ROM) that runs Android 7.1.1 like a BOSS.

+Optimized OS
    +Remove duplicate apps and bloatware
    +Keep OS experience stock
    That is all ZTE needs to keep the smartphone running smooth on 4 GB RAM.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,173 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    6GB(RAM)+128GB(ROM)

I am not using all that RAM but give me that ROM and I can record in 4K with 400mbs to my heart's content. I could start saving music albums as a 'just in case'. I could save nandroids on the storage!

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,173 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    6GB(RAM)+128GB(ROM)

Yes, you could. That's what I am doing now. Switching sd cards between devices means losing the albums I have saved to the sd card. No longer a worry with 128gb ROM I won't have to spend time searching for micro sd card with fast write speeds or even worry about the card failing. There is that matter where I need to use that sd card slot for sim when I am abroad, I can simply move the data back to the phone and put in the new sim.

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6GB(RAM)+128GB(ROM)

I could write a thesis on this, but long story short is that 6GB is fine. Sure 8 is a larger number and all, but everyone forgets Android only takes up ~750MB of RAM.

For all the arguments on how phones in the past with the most ram survived and are in use today, the analogy is flawed. In the early days of Android there were not many features, but similar to the gains in hardware over time we have reached saturation. Aside from AR and VR there are no huge advancements coming in the near future that warrant massive changes of RAM. Even laptops/desktops have stalled at 4-6GB for almost a decade now after rapid advancements in main OS's were made.

If I had to choose I'd pick ufs 2.1 in larger quantities than an SD card of similar amount. With that said if I didn't HAVE to pick, why not both? LPDDR 4 is cheap to manufacture per device, and having 8GB and 128GB would.please both sides.