Phone not waking up; lots of "Stock android has stopped working"; home button wonky

Comments

• adammckayadammckay Harrisburg, PAPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@adammckay said:
    I had the same problem reported on this thread. The steps to recreate are:

1. Factory Reset a phone (or get one out of the box) to rule out all other possibilities
    2. Install the Facebook app
    3. Reboot the phone.
    4. You will be in a permanent boot loop.

To fix the problem, repeat the steps above skipping step 2.

I wish I understood more about what the problem is. As I understand, Android apps are supposed to be locked out of the root filesystem. So how can a facebook app do something to my root file system so that the phone can't boot? This is a major security hole and only a matter of time until someone does this on purpose. Does anyone know any more about the underlying issue? Are there any ZTE technical people on this thread to comment?

It doesn't have anything to do with the root file system. The Facebook app is a problem on other phones also. I would just use Facebook through the browser and not install the app. Even when the Facebook app doesn't cause this problem people report that it's a heavy battery user also. And not just on this phone.

I may be off base about the root filesystem. Let me put it more this way - The fact that the Facebook app can brick our phone means that someone else can easily create their own app to do the same thing. With a little know how, it would not be hard to see what code in the Facebook app does this and then use it against us. That is a security flaw.
    Therefore, it is ZTE's problem and they should be patching against it. Whether that means they need to push a security update or get off their butts with Nougate I don't know.

• stoy75stoy75 Tampa FLPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the Android overlay and launcher crashing that ZTE put on the phone. Sometimes..... Only sometimes.... When I was recreating this issue over and over I could get into safe mode and delete the Facebook app. It's a fault in the ZTE coding. Millions of other non abandoned devices work fine.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@stoy75 said:
    It's the Android overlay and launcher crashing that ZTE put on the phone. Sometimes..... Only sometimes.... When I was recreating this issue over and over I could get into safe mode and delete the Facebook app. It's a fault in the ZTE coding. Millions of other non abandoned devices work fine.

Just Google "phones with problems using the Facebook app". There's several links to different phones including the iPhone which have problems with the Facebook app. And what Android overlay are you talking about?

You'll find no disagreement with me that the Facebook app has problems. If some careless code in Facebook can literally render your phone useless with one click, that is called a security hole. Like I said, anyone can now put the same code in their app and shut down these specific ZTE phones. Are you saying that we should contact Facebook if someone else exploits this vulnerability in our phones?

And just to clarify your earlier comment. NO - No one expects ZTE to test every app in the app store. However, when some people (like us) point out that some code in one app can brick the phone, it is their responsibility to patch that specific problem. That is called a 'security update'.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@adammckay said:
    And just to clarify your earlier comment. NO - No one expects ZTE to test every app in the app store. However, when some people (like us) point out that some code in one app can brick the phone, it is their responsibility to patch that specific problem. That is called a 'security update'.

And do you think that ZTE or anyone else can just ask Facebook for their source code? If you uninstall the Facebook app and then wipe the cache partition in recovery and clear the main storage cache in the storage settings and then reboot and don't have the problem you'll have a definitive answer as to whether it's the Facebook app causing the problem. If the Facebook app isn't the problem then mention a moderators name in a post to draw attention to the problem.

No one is saying go get Facebook's source code, lol. We are just saying, that whatever code is being called is causing the phone to crash. They (ZTE) can easily analyze the boot sequence of the phone to see what is happening and they can patch against it. Do you work for ZTE?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@adammckay said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@adammckay said:

And do you think that ZTE or anyone else can just ask Facebook for their source code? If you uninstall the Facebook app and then wipe the cache partition in recovery and clear the main storage cache in the storage settings and then reboot and don't have the problem you'll have a definitive answer as to whether it's the Facebook app causing the problem. If the Facebook app isn't the problem then mention a moderators name in a post to draw attention to the problem.

No one is saying go get Facebook's source code, lol. We are just saying, that whatever code is being called is causing the phone to crash. They (ZTE) can easily analyze the boot sequence of the phone to see what is happening and they can patch against it. Do you work for ZTE?

No I don't work for ZTE. What is wrong with my suggestion posted above to prove or disprove the problem?

See my verified steps:

1. Factory Reset a phone (or get one out of the box) to rule out all other possibilities
    3. Reboot the phone
    4. You will be in a permanent boot loop
    5. Repeat Steps 1-3 BUT SKIP STEP 2
    6. Phone reboots normally

Yes - I agree the Facebook app caused the problem. It exposed a security hole. Now that the security hole is exposed, anyone can do the same thing. Getting source code from android apps is trivially easy for hackers.

In the world of computing, no one likes something like this that can just shut their entire system down. It's called a security flaw. Let's take Windows for example - any time hackers find a way to gain control of a windows system or shut one down, Microsoft releases a security update. Apple does this too. So does every other tech company. It is very rare for Microsoft or any other company to say, "Stop publishing that code that crashes our OS! We don't like that!" Do you know why they don't do that? Because hackers won't listen to them!

A few years ago, there was an emoji that you could text to anyone with an iphone. When they read your text, the phone literally crashed and shut down. Guess what? Apple fixed that. The underlying problem had something to do with how the emoji was displayed. They did not publish a press release telling people to stop using that particular emoji, lol.

Here we have a ZTE phone that can be rendered useless by some code. You are getting caught up too much with the fact that its the Facebook app. It could have been any app - Facebook just happens to be the app that made us aware of the problem. It is now the vendor's responsibility to patch. This is a major security hole. Facebook is not going to jump on this because a small segment of users with a specific phone have a problem. Even if they fix it tomorrow, the hole is there and people know about it. So now anyone can use this against us.

Hopefully that explanation was clear.

• amantomamantom New YorkPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

Got an update from ZTE on twitter. They acknowledge that it is most likely from facebook and are working on the fix.

• amantomamantom New YorkPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

@HmonGrL123 said:

@amantom said:
    I am also facing the same issue. It's just 3 months old.Does anyone know the process to send it back to ZTE for repair/replacement.

Call ZTE and they'll give you the steps to send it in. DO NOT SEND IT WITHOUT AN RMA # (Returned Merchandise Authorization #). And when you are ready to send it in, make sure you label everything with the RMA #

Thanks. Did the same. But not sending it yet. Waiting if it can be fixed via software update by ZTE.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@adammckay said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@adammckay said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@adammckay said:

No I don't work for ZTE. What is wrong with my suggestion posted above to prove or disprove the problem?

See my verified steps:

3. Reboot the phone

Yes - I agree the Facebook app caused the problem. It exposed a security hole. Now that the security hole is exposed, anyone can do the same thing. Getting source code from android apps is trivially easy for hackers.

In the world of computing, no one likes something like this that can just shut their entire system down. It's called a security flaw. Let's take Windows for example - any time hackers find a way to gain control of a windows system or shut one down, Microsoft releases a security update. Apple does this too. So does every other tech company. It is very rare for Microsoft or any other company to say, "Stop publishing that code that crashes our OS! We don't like that!" Do you know why they don't do that? Because hackers won't listen to them!

A few years ago, there was an emoji that you could text to anyone with an iphone. When they read your text, the phone literally crashed and shut down. Guess what? Apple fixed that. The underlying problem had something to do with how the emoji was displayed. They did not publish a press release telling people to stop using that particular emoji, lol.

Here we have a ZTE phone that can be rendered useless by some code. You are getting caught up too much with the fact that its the Facebook app. It could have been any app - Facebook just happens to be the app that made us aware of the problem. It is now the vendor's responsibility to patch. This is a major security hole. Facebook is not going to jump on this because a small segment of users with a specific phone have a problem. Even if they fix it tomorrow, the hole is there and people know about it. So now anyone can use this against us.

There is plenty of software that crashes Windows but that doesn't mean that it's a security risk. Microsoft doesn't patch for software that crashes Windows they patch for security issues. The same is true for Android. The OEMs can't patch against poorly written apps. The whole thing is simple. Uninstall Facebook and clear the cache and reboot. If the phone is okay report it to Facebook. I've had apps that mess things up and have contacted the app developer and they all say the same thing. They can't guarantee that their app will work on every phone. Google problems with the Facebook app and you'll see that this problem is prominent across different phones and OS systems. Even iPhone.

I can see some of your points - but its not as simple as you say. Once you have rebooted the phone and its stuck in boot loop, you cannot uninstall Facebook as you say. Yes you can factory reset the phone and not install it. How easy is that for someone that isn't as technical as you or I? Also, you have a valid point that Microsoft doesn't patch for anything that crashes Windows. But keep in mind that when poorly written software crashes Windows, Windows usually boots back up again. In this case, the phone will not boot up again until a factory reset is done. It's not just a crash - you lose everything in the reset. Honestly, I wish this phone were supported and updated better. How many people would like to buy a phone that the Facebook app doesn't work on. And regardless of whether its Facebook's fault or ZTE's fault - who do you think people will blame when they see Facebook working on any other brand of phone?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@adammckay said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@adammckay said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@adammckay said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@adammckay said:

See my verified steps:

3. Reboot the phone

There is plenty of software that crashes Windows but that doesn't mean that it's a security risk. Microsoft doesn't patch for software that crashes Windows they patch for security issues. The same is true for Android. The OEMs can't patch against poorly written apps. The whole thing is simple. Uninstall Facebook and clear the cache and reboot. If the phone is okay report it to Facebook. I've had apps that mess things up and have contacted the app developer and they all say the same thing. They can't guarantee that their app will work on every phone. Google problems with the Facebook app and you'll see that this problem is prominent across different phones and OS systems. Even iPhone.

I can see some of your points - but its not as simple as you say. Once you have rebooted the phone and its stuck in boot loop, you cannot uninstall Facebook as you say. Yes you can factory reset the phone and not install it. How easy is that for someone that isn't as technical as you or I? Also, you have a valid point that Microsoft doesn't patch for anything that crashes Windows. But keep in mind that when poorly written software crashes Windows, Windows usually boots back up again. In this case, the phone will not boot up again until a factory reset is done. It's not just a crash - you lose everything in the reset. Honestly, I wish this phone were supported and updated better. How many people would like to buy a phone that the Facebook app doesn't work on. And regardless of whether its Facebook's fault or ZTE's fault - who do you think people will blame when they see Facebook working on any other brand of phone?

Did you see the post above yours that said ZTE is working on a fix? And when you're in the recovery menu have you wiped the cache partition and then reboot from the recovery screen? That has nothing to do with the Facebook problem just a separate question.

Yeah - that was the first thing I did when it initially came up. It didn't work though. So I went back to recovery and did factory reset. That worked.... until I installed Facebook again (it was in my backup of apps). It was the ZTE forums that got me pointed in the right direction about Facebook. So right now I just don't have Facebook installed. Somewhat unrelated but I'm generally annoyed that a nice phone like this doesn't get supported with the latest android. It would be good enough if they would let us unlock the bootloader and we could just root/rom ourselves if they don't want to deal with it.

• mythosazmythosaz AZPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone with a messed up phone, or a freshly reset phone, see if it's possible to simply remove the Facebook app from ADB once it's in glitched mode? I'm afraid my phone's working now and I'm unwilling to break it at the moment to test.

pm uninstall com.facebook.katana

• Obie25Obie25 AvonPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

I believe an update went out two days ago. Since I wiped my phone and never installed Facebook or Facebook messenger. My phone has functioned just fine. Curious how an app can cause such issues!

• dibbsdibbs Posts: 2 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stoy75 said:
    The best part of all. Due to ZTE negligence my phone crashed 24 hours before Irma hit here in Florida. Nothing like nearly being without a cell phone with an impending natural disasters. They endangered my life and my families.

Thanks ZTE

@stoy75 said:
    Unfortunately we've all fallen victim to a company that made a decent product, hyped it up, put it on the market, and then abandoned it. We have no security updates. An OS that was out of date at release time. And from what you see here will begin losing the ability to use basic Android apps.

**** this is so helpful thank you so much for this useful comment, **** sped

• ampnetampnet grand rapidsPosts: 1 ✭✭

same problem as the rest...

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,615 mod

Good Evening Everyone. There is a temporary fix, that does work but it isn't perfect. I have tried it several times on two different Blade V8 Pros, both are running stable and perfectly after the fix. This will delete everything.

1,First I performed a fresh factory restore. Power down the device. Press and hold the Power button and Volume up, when you see the Blade logo, release the Power button. Now you see the Recovery Menu, Using the Volume keys you want to choose Factory Restore (This WILL DELETE EVERYTHING) Use the power button to confirm selection. During setup do not backup from previous device.
    2, Immediately upon homescreen, go to Google Play store. Tap the settings menu (top left, 3 little lines) Scroll down to Settings, and Tap Auto-update Apps, select Do Not auto-update app

Now reboot the device and don't download facebook app until another solution is found. Facebook in browser is not affected, and is fine to use.

• MannyMMMannyMM USPosts: 4 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2017 9:36PM

Same problem. Is there a fix already? (Not a workaround to not install the facebook app)

@MannyMM Hello, currently there isn't a fix. Something in that Facebook app updated and doesn't agree with the Blade is my guess. It takes time for everyone to figure out the what, how and why. For now at least there is a way take back control of the possessed device lol. When a "true" fix becomes available I will post it here. In the mean time if you need any assistance with the work around, give me a shout :)

• MannyMMMannyMM USPosts: 4 ✭✭✭✭

@ironbaybeedoll said:
    @MannyMM Hello, currently there isn't a fix. Something in that Facebook app updated and doesn't agree with the Blade is my guess. It takes time for everyone to figure out the what, how and why. For now at least there is a way take back control of the possessed device lol. When a "true" fix becomes available I will post it here. In the mean time if you need any assistance with the work around, give me a shout :)

Thanks, I think I might go back to my cracked screen Nexus in the mean time, or put the blade on offer up, lol... I know it's an app issue but the OS on this device hasn't received a major upgrade in a while, do you know if there are even plans to upgrade it to Android 7?... thanks

@MannyMM I don't know what the plans are for this device in regards to updates. I am hoping it updates just like everyone else. Again should you need anything, please holler, I'm usually around :)

• dibbsdibbs Posts: 2 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fixed this without losing anything or downloading the large android studios, its fu(ken facebook

Hold on/off button until device reboots, when it reboots hold volume up & down to boot into safe mode.

My device got past the V8 Blade pro screen in safe made but had no icons, was flashing and at times showing the message 'stock android has stopped'

Safe mode makes it difficult to get into play store to uninstall failbook.
    1. Slide down and select settings > apps ... This didn't work for me it crashed when selecting apps
    2. Thankfully gmail updated and I was able to slide down the top menu and select this to enter play store
    3. Navigate into your apps and uninstall failbook then delete from your library
    4. Hold power button for a few secs restart and enjoy your android as it was before failbook **** it

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bran_svt said:

@mythosaz said:
    Can someone with a messed up phone, or a freshly reset phone, see if it's possible to simply remove the Facebook app from ADB once it's in glitched mode? I'm afraid my phone's working now and I'm unwilling to break it at the moment to test.

pm uninstall com.facebook.katana

I figured out another way to fix this without losing anything but you may need some computer knowledge to successfully accomplish it.
    I'm using Windows 10 for reference.

1. Download the Android SDK Platform-tools package from here and extract it wherever.
    2. Plug your phone into your PC and boot into Safe Mode on the phone: Hold the "Power" button until it starts to reboot, then at the first logo screen (ZTE Powered by Android) hold just the "Volume DOWN" button until the phone boots up to the Pattern lock screen, enter your pattern (if you have one) and wait for it to boot into the main app page or settings (it should say Safe Mode in the bottom left corner of the screen).
    3. On the phone, navigate to Settings (it may be hard to navigate due to a flashing screen), find the "Connect to a PC" option under the Devices section, in the Connect to a PC menu, select the Install Driver button.
    4. Open CMD (Command Prompt on your PC) and CD into directory of the 'platform-tools' folder in the Android SDK Platform-tools package that has the 'adb.exe' in it, after you're in the directory, run the command "adb devices" to see if your device is detected. If it finds the device you can then run the command "adb -d uninstall com.facebook.katana", you may have to wait a bit, but it should say success after it's done.
    5. Reboot the device and everything should be back to normal!

ADB for the win. Thanks for another workaround @bran_svt