I need a new phone, should I wait for the Axon 8 to come out?

brobbrob Posts: 11

So a family member of mine needs a phone. I had planned on giving them my Axon 7 and then getting a new phone for myself. I thought I would have heard something about the Axon 8 by now, but I haven't heard a thing about it. If the Axon 8 does not launch within the next month or two I will need to purchase a different phone.

Has anyone heard if the Axon 8 is launching this summer? If not I have narrowed down my next choice of phones to the OnePlus 5 or the LG G6. If you guys had to chose between the OnePlus 5 and the LG G6, which would you purchase? And why? I need help decided what to do?

Comments

• razor512razor512 New York Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2017 9:59AM

Right now, there are pretty much rumors surrounding the Axon 8, so it is hard to know when they plan to release it, or what specs it will have.
    From an overall user experience focus, the LG G6 will offer a better overall experience than the oneplus 5. It has a far better camera setup of the 2 devices, and in my opinion, the current best camera software in terms of how much control it gives you, better display, better speaker in terms of frequency response, even though it is still just a mono speaker. The axon 7 speakers do provide better quality though.

Another benefit is that the LG g6 has OIS, while the oneplus 5 is stuck with only EIS, this causes it to have worse low light photos, and bad video if you try to use the EIS, since it just makes the motion blur from camera shake really stand out. This is an example from the google pixel

Though these types of issues apply to any EIS system, basically in order to get a proper exposure on such a small sensor, these cameras often need to drop the shutter speed per frame down to 1/30s, and when that happens, any camera shake will cause motion blur. EIS corrects for camera shake by cropping into the frame slightly, and them moving the video frame around to give the illusion of less camera shake, but it does nothing to stop the motion blur, thus you end up with a strange end product of motion blur without the motion and that looks bad.

• musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MA Posts: 2,794 mod

While we are all waiting for the axon 8, if you buy an Axon 7 it comes with passport 2.0 which includes an upgrade program for a discount of upto $100 off the upgrade to the next Axon and then you can sell the axon 7 and save 100s off the purchase of the new axon when it comes out

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@musicdjm said:
    While we are all waiting for the axon 8, if you buy an Axon 7 it comes with passport 2.0 which includes an upgrade program for a discount of upto $100 off the upgrade to the next Axon and then you can sell the axon 7 and save 100s off the purchase of the new axon when it comes out

Without knowing how much the Axon 8 will cost that's a little risky. Since the A7 has been out for a year you'll be lucky to get $250 - 275 for a mint condition model.

@brob I would wait for the Axon 8. And if you can't wait my recommendation would be the OP5 because of the UI. It has the best UI outside of the Pixel phones. But you should just buy the one that you would prefer.

• lekeiserlekeiser Posts: 75 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,
    I already have the A7 but since I'm a geek, I bought the O+5 and use it now as my main phone.
    I really do love the A7, it's a beast of a phone. It's the best multimedia phone with its great display and great great speakers. Can't beat it. It's has a really fast CPU, it's still a beast also compared to the other phones, won't let you down. The design is also great, really do love it.
    But the O+5 was available to me one week before its launch, so I went and I got it. And I'm really happy I got it.

_ it's FAST! It's REALLY FAST!! The 835 is really the fastest CPU around. Along with its 8GB RAM, the 0+5 is a meaner beast than the A7. No lag at all, no matter what you do. Swipe the display full of icons, no lag. Launch as many apps you want, leave them in the background, when you reopen them, they're here instantly and right where you left them. They don't restart, they are right where you left them. Update all your apps in a blink of an eye. Really!
    _ the display, while it's still a FHD display, is great. Seriously, I compared it to the A7, Logan black and white, and couldn't see a difference. The display of the O+5 is very well calibrated, it's bright and crisp.
    _ I really do love the design of the O+5. People are complaining it looks too much like the Apple S7. So what? The S7 has a great and lovely design, so it's a really good thing that the O+5 is compared to that phone.
    _ can't beat the DashCharge. While QC3.0 is fast, DC is faster. Ok, it's proprietary and I had to buy more chargers again. But hey! You charge the O+5 from 20 to 80% in less than 30 mins! And the phone doesn't get warm! Can't beat that... And the autonomy of the 0+5 is HUGE. I use it a lot, SMS/Internet/FB/Whatsapp/music/... and it lasts about a day and a half. Better than with the A7, and its autonomy was already really good.
    _ OxygenOS is so close to stock Android, it's great. You can tweak your phone any way you like. Nothing but good things about OxygenOS. Fast, light, everything can be tweaked and more.
    _ I'm not a photographer. I was already happy with the camera of the A7. I'm perfectly happy with the camera of the O+5. People can complain and compare all they want, I don't care. If people want to take professional pictures, buy a professional camera.

What more can I say... I love my A7, I can't sell it. Would break my heart. But I love love my new O+5. I use it everyday, can't stop playing with it, drooling over it when it's on my desk...
    If I were you, I'd get the O+5 128GB right now :)

@lekeiser Tell us how you really feel about the OP5. :D

• brobbrob Posts: 11

Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning towards the One+5. I'm still holding out hope that ZTE will announce that the Axon 8 is actually coming out this year fairly soon.

• jasonejasone Tennessee Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

We're all holding out hope for the Axon 8, unfortunately as was mentioned since there haven't even been any rumors seems like it's a bit far off. Maybe around the time the Pixel 2 or Note 8 launches it might pop up, but who knows? If you can get a good deal on an Axon 7 it wouldn't be a bad idea. If you're craving something newer though OP5 seems to be the popular choice.

If you Google Axon 8 rumors you'll find plenty of interesting stories. Personally I believe that the A8 will be announced before the end of August.

• beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:
    If you Google Axon 8 rumors you'll find plenty of interesting stories. Personally I believe that the A8 will be announced before the end of August.

I hope you are right! Have you heard any kind of rumour to that effect?

@beenwaitingforthis said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I hope you are right! Have you heard any kind of rumour to that effect?

No I haven't. Just a combination of the stuff I Googled and it's been a year since the A7 came out and some wishful speculation.

• vanguyvanguy USAPosts: 573 ✭✭✭✭✭

In either case your software experience with the LG G6 or the OP 5 would much better than with the A8.
    OP constantly makes improvements to their software. No need to wait for an OS update.

LG's software is very nice- more options and features than you can imagine. They had split screen several years ago. (it just came to Android N this year)

@vanguy said:
    In either case your software experience with the LG G6 or the OP 5 would much better than with the A8.
    OP constantly makes improvements to their software. No need to wait for an OS update.

LG's software is very nice- more options and features than you can imagine. They had split screen several years ago. (it just came to Android N this year)

I agree with you but the G6 is too expensive and I don't like the 18X9 screen and the OP5 isn't a 2K screen and doesn't have SD card support. But the biggest factor for me is the speakers. I would love it if the A7 and A8 had the OP5's UI.

• tabletalker7tabletalker7 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me this is a no brainer - LG G6 all the way. If you are not a power user (rooting, custom roms, the whole android thing) the LG G6 gives you everything you want in a polished software package. If you are a power user, then you should not appreciate how oneplus has since the dawn of the oneplus one all the way through to the current oneplus 5 has been cheating on benchmarks to get people to buy their product. Either way LG G6 wins

@tabletalker7 said:
    To me this is a no brainer - LG G6 all the way. If you are not a power user (rooting, custom roms, the whole android thing) the LG G6 gives you everything you want in a polished software package. If you are a power user, then you should not appreciate how oneplus has since the dawn of the oneplus one all the way through to the current oneplus 5 has been cheating on benchmarks to get people to buy their product. Either way LG G6 wins

Cheating on benchmark tests doesn't bother me. I don't buy a phone based on benchmarks. The OP5 has the SD 835 and I know from personal experience how much better it is than the 820/821. Samsung cheating on benchmarks certainly hasn't hurt their sales.

• dr.mdr.m AustinPosts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see an Axon 7 successor in 2017. Maybe 2018. Just buy a new Axon 7 -- extends your warranty period -- and if something new does finally come out, you can sell it for 85% or more of what you paid for it.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If I had to choose between the OP5 and the G6 I would choose the OP5. I had one and tested it out. It is an excellent device. Super fast, nice display, great battery life, and almost stock Android software. The speaker is very loud but not even close to the quality of the A7. It feels good in hand but again not as good as good the A7.

@dr.m said:
    I don't see an Axon 7 successor in 2017. Maybe 2018. Just buy a new Axon 7 -- extends your warranty period -- and if something new does finally come out, you can sell it for 85% or more of what you paid for it.

ZTE would be making a big mistake if they wait that long for the A8. And good luck getting 85% of the original price for a used A7 during 2018. More like 50 % since it would be getting close to 2 years old.

Thanks for the input everyone. I decided to order the OP5 after reading a lot of reviews and watching a bunch of youtube videos. It's not a perfect phone, but I think it will hit the spot for me. I haven't owned a name brand phone since the Samsung Galaxy S3. I guess I'm kind of weird, but that was one the the reasons I went with the OP5 over the LG G6. I enjoy using phones that a lot of people haven't seen before and performs nearly as good as a $700 phone.

Plus last time my choice came down to the OnePlus 3 and the Axon 7. I decided on the Axon 7 and just decided I wanted to give OnePlus a try and see how I like their phones. I may just have to wait and buy the Axon 9, unless they remove the front facing speakers and then it might be game over.

I'm still curious to see the Axon 8. I'm not sure what is taking ZTE so long to announce it or at least start leaking info about it. Their delay has cost them my business.

@brob said:
    Thanks for the input everyone. I decided to order the OP5 after reading a lot of reviews and watching a bunch of youtube videos. It's not a perfect phone, but I think it will hit the spot for me. I haven't owned a name brand phone since the Samsung Galaxy S3. I guess I'm kind of weird, but that was one the the reasons I went with the OP5 over the LG G6. I enjoy using phones that a lot of people haven't seen before and performs nearly as good as a $700 phone.

Plus last time my choice came down to the OnePlus 3 and the Axon 7. I decided on the Axon 7 and just decided I wanted to give OnePlus a try and see how I like their phones. I may just have to wait and buy the Axon 9, unless they remove the front facing speakers and then it might be game over.

I'm still curious to see the Axon 8. I'm not sure what is taking ZTE so long to announce it or at least start leaking info about it. Their delay has cost them my business.

You won't be disappointed with your choice. The OP5 with the SD 835 and Oxygen UI is a great phone. I did hear that even though it doesn't have the dual speakers the single bottom firing speaker that it does have is very loud.
    And I think not buying a big brand name phone is a very popular choice amongst the Community members.
    And we're all disappointed that ZTE is late getting the Axon 8 out and is undoubtedly costing them sales since all the other flagships are out already.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@brob said:

You won't be disappointed with your choice. The OP5 with the SD 835 and Oxygen UI is a great phone. I did hear that even though it doesn't have the dual speakers the single bottom firing speaker that it does have is very loud.
    And I think not buying a big brand name phone is a very popular choice amongst the Community members.
    And we're all disappointed that ZTE is late getting the Axon 8 out and is undoubtedly costing them sales since all the other flagships are out already.

Maybe their holding back on releasing the A8 too soon because the software is still buggy. I hope that the A8 isn't a repeat of the buggy software that is STILL ON THE AXON 7. After months of dealing with the A7 bugs, I would be livid if I bought the A8 and went thru that all over again.

@stevec5375 I was going to respond to your comment by saying that I agree with you and add something else but you must have deleted it.

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @stevec5375 I was going to respond to your comment by saying that I agree with you and add something else but you must have deleted it.

If I deleted it I must have been too many chardonnays to the wind. I don't know what happened to it.

Basically, what I said was that I hope the A8 is less buggy than the A7. Perhaps they are holding it back to get the software to be more stable. I wouldn't buy an A8 after what I've seen of the A7's software unless a lot of changes are made.

@stevec5375 said:
    Basically, what I said was that I hope the A8 is less buggy than the A7. Perhaps they are holding it back to get the software to be more stable. I wouldn't buy an A8 after what I've seen of the A7's software unless a lot of changes are made.

I've owned the Axon 7 for a year now. I'm not sure what you mean by buggy? But I haven't ran into a single problem with it since I've owned the phone. Maybe I got lucky?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@brob said:

I sure hope I like it, because I have thoroughly enjoyed my Axon 7. The Axon 7 definitely has the best speakers of any phone I've heard, so I will miss it. But like you said, I did see that the OP5 speakers are plenty loud, so I'm sure I will get buy.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@brob said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@brob said:

I sure hope I like it, because I have thoroughly enjoyed my Axon 7. The Axon 7 definitely has the best speakers of any phone I've heard, so I will miss it. But like you said, I did see that the OP5 speakers are plenty loud, so I'm sure I will get buy.

You should like it. It's s good device. Let us know what you think.

@brob said:

@stevec5375 said:

I've owned the Axon 7 for a year now. I'm not sure what you mean by buggy? But I haven't ran into a single problem with it since I've owned the phone. Maybe I got lucky?

First of all, I have the "enhanced" version of the Axon 7 which has 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. Those of us with this device can't get Android Pay to work and it is a known problem according to ZTE. Second, I can't get the Bluetooth to display metadata on my vehicle's head unit. (My 4 year old Galaxy Note 2 works just fine.)

@dnewman007 said:

@brob said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@brob said:

** You should like it. It's s good device. Let us know what you think.**

Well dnewmann007 you said to come back and report about the OP5. I've only had it for a day, but I can give you some of my first impressions. The phone is blazing fast. Not so much faster than the Axon 7, that you'd be blown away by any means, but it's definitely faster. The finger print scanner is great. The ability to customize the phone like no other is also very nice.

I was worried about the screen on the OP5 not looking as good as the Axon 7, but I'll be honest. I'm not sure I can tell much of a difference, which is nice. The speakers are get very loud, but sound no where near as good as the Axon 7, but that is true with just about any phone. I haven't used the phone's camera much, but from what I've read it is capable of taking some very good pictures.
    It doesn't feel as substantial as the Axon 7, but still feels nice in your hand.

I have noticed the jelly affect that others have been talking about. However, it is completely overblown. I can get it to show up in certain situations. However, you have to make unnatural scrolling movements with your finger in order to see it. If you scroll like a normal person, then you'd never see it.

So far it appears that it will be a very good phone. As far as it being a huge upgrade from the Axon 7, it really isn't a huge one. The Axon 7 is a great phone and it appears the OP5 will be as well. I'll know more after using it for a few months.

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 5,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@brob said:
    So a family member of mine needs a phone. I had planned on giving them my Axon 7 and then getting a new phone for myself. I thought I would have heard something about the Axon 8 by now, but I haven't heard a thing about it. If the Axon 8 does not launch within the next month or two I will need to purchase a different phone.

Has anyone heard if the Axon 8 is launching this summer? If not I have narrowed down my next choice of phones to the OnePlus 5 or the LG G6. If you guys had to chose between the OnePlus 5 and the LG G6, which would you purchase? And why? I need help decided what to do?

I would probably go with the G6. I sent my OP5 back and ordered the s8, which was shipped today. I loved my OP3 but I wasn't really feeling the OP5. The scrolling was jittery and that was on top of the jello scrolling. It's a super fast phone and great build quality but it had too many issues I couldn't get past and the camera has no OIS. I got my s8 on eBay for $595 and it said it was new, sealed in the box. Only time will tell if it's as described but I think it will be. They sent me a pic of the IMEI # and I checked it and it was clear, so I'm hoping it'll be fine. Do what you want but I would go with the G6, however, I've not actually used the G6. I went with the black unlocked model s8.