Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

I need a new phone, should I wait for the Axon 8 to come out?

2»

Comments

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,822 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@brob said:

@dnewman007 said:

@brob said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@brob said:
    Thanks for the input everyone. I decided to order the OP5 after reading a lot of reviews and watching a bunch of youtube videos. It's not a perfect phone, but I think it will hit the spot for me. I haven't owned a name brand phone since the Samsung Galaxy S3. I guess I'm kind of weird, but that was one the the reasons I went with the OP5 over the LG G6. I enjoy using phones that a lot of people haven't seen before and performs nearly as good as a $700 phone.

Plus last time my choice came down to the OnePlus 3 and the Axon 7. I decided on the Axon 7 and just decided I wanted to give OnePlus a try and see how I like their phones. I may just have to wait and buy the Axon 9, unless they remove the front facing speakers and then it might be game over.

I'm still curious to see the Axon 8. I'm not sure what is taking ZTE so long to announce it or at least start leaking info about it. Their delay has cost them my business.

You won't be disappointed with your choice. The OP5 with the SD 835 and Oxygen UI is a great phone. I did hear that even though it doesn't have the dual speakers the single bottom firing speaker that it does have is very loud.
    And I think not buying a big brand name phone is a very popular choice amongst the Community members.
    And we're all disappointed that ZTE is late getting the Axon 8 out and is undoubtedly costing them sales since all the other flagships are out already.

I sure hope I like it, because I have thoroughly enjoyed my Axon 7. The Axon 7 definitely has the best speakers of any phone I've heard, so I will miss it. But like you said, I did see that the OP5 speakers are plenty loud, so I'm sure I will get buy.

** You should like it. It's s good device. Let us know what you think.**

Well dnewmann007 you said to come back and report about the OP5. I've only had it for a day, but I can give you some of my first impressions. The phone is blazing fast. Not so much faster than the Axon 7, that you'd be blown away by any means, but it's definitely faster. The finger print scanner is great. The ability to customize the phone like no other is also very nice.

I was worried about the screen on the OP5 not looking as good as the Axon 7, but I'll be honest. I'm not sure I can tell much of a difference, which is nice. The speakers are get very loud, but sound no where near as good as the Axon 7, but that is true with just about any phone. I haven't used the phone's camera much, but from what I've read it is capable of taking some very good pictures.
    It doesn't feel as substantial as the Axon 7, but still feels nice in your hand.

I have noticed the jelly affect that others have been talking about. However, it is completely overblown. I can get it to show up in certain situations. However, you have to make unnatural scrolling movements with your finger in order to see it. If you scroll like a normal person, then you'd never see it.

So far it appears that it will be a very good phone. As far as it being a huge upgrade from the Axon 7, it really isn't a huge one. The Axon 7 is a great phone and it appears the OP5 will be as well. I'll know more after using it for a few months.

@brob Thanks for giving your first impressions. I pretty much felt the same as you do. I couldn't see the jello scrolling on the one I tried out. I sent mine back. It is a good device in my opinion.

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,382 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@musicdjm said:
    While we are all waiting for the axon 8, if you buy an Axon 7 it comes with passport 2.0 which includes an upgrade program for a discount of upto $100 off the upgrade to the next Axon and then you can sell the axon 7 and save 100s off the purchase of the new axon when it comes out

Nice. I didn't know that.

@razor512 said:
    Right now, there are pretty much rumors surrounding the Axon 8, so it is hard to know when they plan to release it, or what specs it will have.
    From an overall user experience focus, the LG G6 will offer a better overall experience than the oneplus 5. It has a far better camera setup of the 2 devices, and in my opinion, the current best camera software in terms of how much control it gives you, better display, better speaker in terms of frequency response, even though it is still just a mono speaker. The axon 7 speakers do provide better quality though.

Another benefit is that the LG g6 has OIS, while the oneplus 5 is stuck with only EIS, this causes it to have worse low light photos, and bad video if you try to use the EIS, since it just makes the motion blur from camera shake really stand out. This is an example from the google pixel

Though these types of issues apply to any EIS system, basically in order to get a proper exposure on such a small sensor, these cameras often need to drop the shutter speed per frame down to 1/30s, and when that happens, any camera shake will cause motion blur. EIS corrects for camera shake by cropping into the frame slightly, and them moving the video frame around to give the illusion of less camera shake, but it does nothing to stop the motion blur, thus you end up with a strange end product of motion blur without the motion and that looks bad.

@razor512 You know you cameras, no doubt :wink:

edited July 14, 2017 9:48PM

@brob said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@brob said:
    Thanks for the input everyone. I decided to order the OP5 after reading a lot of reviews and watching a bunch of youtube videos. It's not a perfect phone, but I think it will hit the spot for me. I haven't owned a name brand phone since the Samsung Galaxy S3. I guess I'm kind of weird, but that was one the the reasons I went with the OP5 over the LG G6. I enjoy using phones that a lot of people haven't seen before and performs nearly as good as a $700 phone.

Plus last time my choice came down to the OnePlus 3 and the Axon 7. I decided on the Axon 7 and just decided I wanted to give OnePlus a try and see how I like their phones. I may just have to wait and buy the Axon 9, unless they remove the front facing speakers and then it might be game over.

I'm still curious to see the Axon 8. I'm not sure what is taking ZTE so long to announce it or at least start leaking info about it. Their delay has cost them my business.

You won't be disappointed with your choice. The OP5 with the SD 835 and Oxygen UI is a great phone. I did hear that even though it doesn't have the dual speakers the single bottom firing speaker that it does have is very loud.
    And I think not buying a big brand name phone is a very popular choice amongst the Community members.
    And we're all disappointed that ZTE is late getting the Axon 8 out and is undoubtedly costing them sales since all the other flagships are out already.

I sure hope I like it, because I have thoroughly enjoyed my Axon 7. The Axon 7 definitely has the best speakers of any phone I've heard, so I will miss it. But like you said, I did see that the OP5 speakers are plenty loud, so I'm sure I will get buy.

My review of the OP5; Build quality is great. In-hand feel is great, just a notch below the A7. Speaker gets very loud but lacks the sound quality of something like a 6p or A7. The screen looks great, 1080p or not. The camera is okay but no OIS really does hurt some picture quality. There's also no EIS on 4k video recording at this time. 4k video is extremely shaky. 1080p 60fps doesn't look very good either. 1080p 30fps looks the best and has good EIS. The front camera is really good and If I'm not mistaking it has EIS, good for selfies and whatever else. Oxygen OS is the best, hands down. Very close to stock with just the right amount of customizations. Oxygen OS is the best android skin at this time, even better than stock, in my opinion. Battery life is just amazing! I was getting around 8hrs of SOT every single day I had the phone. I always got at least, if not more than 8hrs SOT. It's that good. The phone is just flat out fast. There are no faster phones, I don't think. The reason I returned it was that I couldn't get past the jello and the jittery scrolling in a lot of the apps I used and the camera didn't impress me much. The cell reception wasn't the best either, compared to my 6p and Honor 8. The cell reception was improved a little over the OP3 but not by much. Other than that it's a good phone. I personally had no problems with BT or WiFi and calls sounded clear and loud.

@westside80 said:

@brob said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@brob said:

My review of the OP5; Build quality is great. In-hand feel is great, just a notch below the A7. Speaker gets very loud but lacks the sound quality of something like a 6p or A7. The screen looks great, 1080p or not. The camera is okay but no OIS really does hurt some picture quality. There's also no EIS on 4k video recording at this time. 4k video is extremely shaky. 1080p 60fps doesn't look very good either. 1080p 30fps looks the best and has good EIS. The front camera is really good and If I'm not mistaking it has EIS, good for selfies and whatever else. Oxygen OS is the best, hands down. Very close to stock with just the right amount of customizations. Oxygen OS is the best android skin at this time, even better than stock, in my opinion. Battery life is just amazing! I was getting around 8hrs of SOT every single day I had the phone. I always got at least, if not more than 8hrs SOT. It's that good. The phone is just flat out fast. There are no faster phones, I don't think. The reason I returned it was that I couldn't get past the jello and the jittery scrolling in a lot of the apps I used and the camera didn't impress me much. The cell reception wasn't the best either, compared to my 6p and Honor 8. The cell reception was improved a little over the OP3 but not by much. Other than that it's a good phone. I personally had no problems with BT or WiFi and calls sounded clear and loud.

Great review, thanks!
    :smile:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@brob said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@brob said:

Great review, thanks!
    :smile:

Thanks.

• wizzuhwizzuh 48223Posts: 169 ✭✭✭✭✭

Consider a mate 9.

Phones big, but not too big depending on taste. Performance is better than the A7. The UI is nowhere as bad as I thought it would be and it's light years better than mifavor was while I had the A7.

Speakers are the only area where the A7 wins. Everything else is heavily in the mates favor.

Reception is better than A7, call quality is nice and clear, speakerphone calls are loud and clear as well.

Android pay works as advertised, scan finger, tap to terminal, pay, done.

Fingerprint scanner is also lightning quick, reads print in flash from multiple angles.

I kinda like emui 5 and am now no longer on the "stock Android" bandwagon. My poor experience with mifavor had me convinced that stock was the only way to go.

I'm only a few days in with the mate, got it for $450 on prime day. But so far it's fairly awesome. Fastest phone I've ever used.

I wanted to stay in that 3-400$ price point for a phone but my experience with the axon 7 and mifavor is that devices in this category are hit and miss. The a7 was a miss.

edited July 16, 2017 2:58PM

@wizzuh said:
    Consider a mate 9.

Phones big, but not too big depending on taste. Performance is better than the A7. The UI is nowhere as bad as I thought it would be and it's light years better than mifavor was while I had the A7.

Speakers are the only area where the A7 wins. Everything else is heavily in the mates favor.

Reception is better than A7, call quality is nice and clear, speakerphone calls are loud and clear as well.

Android pay works as advertised, scan finger, tap to terminal, pay, done.

Fingerprint scanner is also lightning quick, reads print in flash from multiple angles.

I kinda like emui 5 and am now no longer on the "stock Android" bandwagon. My poor experience with mifavor had me convinced that stock was the only way to go.

I'm only a few days in with the mate, got it for $450 on prime day. But so far it's fairly awesome. Fastest phone I've ever used.

I wanted to stay in that 3-400$ price point for a phone but my experience with the axon 7 and mifavor is that devices in this category are hit and miss. The a7 was a miss.

I don't think people understand just how good these Kirin processors are. My Honor 8 with the Kirin 950 is just as fast as the A7 in my opinion. It doesn't score as high on benchmark tests as the A7 but to me, it feels just as fast, so I can only imagine that the Kirin 960 would be even better. I'm a big fan of the Kirin processors. I'm not a big fan of Huawei/Honor update support though. Also, Huawei and OnePlus take the win on fingerprint scanners. There are none faster. The speed of light, almost. EMUI 5 is a big improvement. It still needs more improvement but it's gotten a lot better than it used to be.

• wizzuhwizzuh 48223Posts: 169 ✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80, word.

I was skeptical of the Kirin processor, but reading the mate 9's XDA and reddit pages I don't see many complaints.

The more I play with this phone, the more I like it. The customization in emui is actually awesome. Between Nova launcher and a dark nougat theme, I cant find much to gripe about.

The auto restart function works on this phone, which didn't on my a7, Android pay works, haven't found any deal breakers yet. Of course time will tell..

I see the mate 9 is available on Newegg for 475, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a replacement for the a7.

Or wait for the Nokia 8, if it actually drops on July 31. But then youll be early adopting again, and early adoption didn't work well for me with the a7.

@wizzuh said:
    @westside80, word.

I was skeptical of the Kirin processor, but reading the mate 9's XDA and reddit pages I don't see many complaints.

The more I play with this phone, the more I like it. The customization in emui is actually awesome. Between Nova launcher and a dark nougat theme, I cant find much to gripe about.

The auto restart function works on this phone, which didn't on my a7, Android pay works, haven't found any deal breakers yet. Of course time will tell..

I see the mate 9 is available on Newegg for 475, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a replacement for the a7.

Or wait for the Nokia 8, if it actually drops on July 31. But then youll be early adopting again, and early adoption didn't work well for me with the a7.

Early adopting didn't work well for me with the OnePlus 5 either. I just ordered an s8 that should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. I have no doubt that the Mate 9 is a good phone. The Honor 8 is a good phone too. Kirin processors are really good. I like that EMUI has the ability to theme your phone with many different themes. Samsung has themes too, so I know I'll enjoy that.

2»